The Student Room Group

Birmingham City University Accommodation: Which Campus?

Hi I'm studying at Birmingham City n was curious if anyone else who lived had a favorite campus they would recommend?

I really dont mind commuting so any campus is good for me so long as its fun and nice place to be.

So there is the...
The Coppice & Oscott Gardens
Hamstead Campus
Opal 1
City South Campus
Jennens Court

Which is your choice of campus?

if you could please tell me ur choice, your reason why and what you study that would give me more of a vibe.

Thanks
Reply 1
Oscott gardens, felt safe, ensuite is a big plus, close to city north campus .. Just make friends with people on your course living at coppice as thats the party place .. Was not happy though at how many foreigj students got places at oscott, kind of ruined the vibe as they werent usually sociable, and means less people to make long term friends with

Opal, even safer and newer, smaller rooms than oscott, im staying here at the moment, friendly staff .. Close to clubs and bars, however after a night out, its a distance from perry barr, usually either walk to new street, or go o five ways and catch 2 trains (about 20min journey) felt like hell during winter though
Original post by Jeevz
Oscott gardens, felt safe, ensuite is a big plus, close to city north campus .. Just make friends with people on your course living at coppice as thats the party place .. Was not happy though at how many foreigj students got places at oscott, kind of ruined the vibe as they werent usually sociable, and means less people to make long term friends with

Opal, even safer and newer, smaller rooms than oscott, im staying here at the moment, friendly staff .. Close to clubs and bars, however after a night out, its a distance from perry barr, usually either walk to new street, or go o five ways and catch 2 trains (about 20min journey) felt like hell during winter though

so the only way to get from opal 1 to perry bar is by 2 trains? isnt there a bus? or even a free university bus shuttle type thing?

so is opal sociable? i was looking at it and it seems so fancy n classy that maybe people just stick to their rooms? or that its so fancy that security doesnt allow any partys or anything. is that the case?
Reply 3
Hamstead Campus is a brilliant place to live. I live in the halls at the minute and I am moving into one of the flats next year. The security is balanced right (keeping us safe but not stopping me bringing my mates in). We have a pub on site which is always handy when it's too cold to go into town.
The staff are great, they made us all free pancakes at the pub for pancake day and they threw a bbq with a free beer and a burger not so long ago as well.
It's a short bus journey to Perry Barr and into town. I've made some amazing friends here.
Reply 4
You can walk 10-15 minutes into city centre amd catch a bus to perry barr, or walk 20mins to five ways and catch two trains

Im just warning you, if you're sociable and like to get drunk, that journey can kill you after a night out

Opal1 .. It depends .. Most people i know tend to be unsociable, the common room is a nice place to hang out and get to know people

The best way to make friends will be during fresher events ..

You have to tell opal you're having a party, best thing to do is throw flat parties in the frst few weeks, inviting other flats to come by

It really depends on the type of people you're sharing with
Reply 5
you shouldn't live in opal if your school is in perry bar lol! you got better chance of turning up to lessons if you live at curzon!
jennens is alright- right by bullring and near bus stops if you wantd to catch bus to perry
Reply 6
Hi i am starting BCU this september and my campus is north city perry barr.
I was wondering which accommodations are a walking distance from the campus and which is most sociable?
I have studied at Nottingham Trent Uni last year and my accommodation was right next to my campus and city centre and all the clubs and also there were 2 other halls next to my accommodation which meant it was always lively.
I have been looking at mainly en-suites such as
Oscott Gardens
Jennens Court
Unite - Curzon Gateway
Which would you recommend?!
Reply 7
hai ! Am looking for an accommodation next to the city north campus (en suite ), I request you to recommend the best accommodation .I believe the coppice is near to the campus but does it have en suite ???
Reply 8
Coppice does not have a ensuite,
The best accommodations at BCU are, curzon gateway, and jennens court, and at north campus it would be oscott gardens

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Thanks for the information ! N may I know whether Birmingham is a safe place ? Coz I hear ppl around me say " it's not safe " n that there are many thefts !

I'm actually from Manchester but, a lot of my friends are in Birmingham, I have heard: areas like perry, are ok at daylight, but not somewhere you would wanting to be going for a stroll at night on your own, if you move closer to central Birmingham, as in VERY close to the train station then it is relatively ok, since there is a 'gay village' nearby and I don't think they are going to brandish a knife and confront you with a hoddie.
The accommodations themselves are quite safe especially the newer ones such as curzon gateway, which I think is at a very safe area too! same for Opal1 :smile:

But if there is the certain area you want to know about, then message me and I'll ask around for you

Also, there are many thefts everywhere, and you are obviously more likely to be a victim if your living in a house (for example shared house with other students), in my opinion the accommodations themselves are safe and some even give you a theft cover of up to £3000 if I remember right

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I wouldn't say Birmingham isn't safe, just maybe more happens here than where you live now. Hamstead campus has security and it is all fob access if this is something you are worried about. I have been in Birmingham a year now and not had any issues :smile:

Original post by monitabcu
Thanks for the information ! N may I know
whether Birmingham is a safe place ? Coz I hear ppl around me say " it's not safe " n that there are many thefts !

Reply 12
I went and saw Hamstead Campus the other week. Everyones so nice and the gym looks sick. Can't believe they actually have a pub and a shop on site though! Went to see a few other places but the rooms and other things they got at hamstead are so much better.

Original post by djhebk
I wouldn't say Birmingham isn't safe, just maybe more happens here than where you live now. Hamstead campus has security and it is all fob access if this is something you are worried about. I have been in Birmingham a year now and not had any issues :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Swinginking
Coppice does not have a ensuite,
The best accommodations at BCU are, curzon gateway, and jennens court, and at north campus it would be oscott gardens

Hi - My course is at M. Point. I have been offered either Curzon or The Coppice for accommodation. Can't decide which would be better. Curzon is nearer but is it better to be near the N. campus for other reasons? Can you give me any advice?
Original post by greathenry
Hi - My course is at M. Point. I have been offered either Curzon or The Coppice for accommodation. Can't decide which would be better. Curzon is nearer but is it better to be near the N. campus for other reasons? Can you give me any advice?

Curzon actually has nicer and newer rooms and is altogether a 'nicer' building with bigger beds with ensuite than the coppice which is now quite old, other than that, not much difference.

Reply 15
Forgot curzon :P and I preferred it much more + the downstairs area was nice. Simple but clean bedrooms with bathroom.
Reply 16
Original post by DesiChild
you shouldn't live in opal if your school is in perry bar lol! you got better chance of turning up to lessons if you live at curzon!
jennens is alright- right by bullring and near bus stops if you wantd to catch bus to perry

Hi.
Because my course is at City North Campus, is it ideal to live in Curzon/Jennens, instead of Oscott/Coppice due to the area not appealing to me as much as Curzon/Jennens does?
Reply 17
Do any of the accommodation at BCU have single sex flats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending