The Student Room Group
Reply 9980
I would walk 100,000 miles?

No?

Yeah, OK, I guess the space one.
Reply 9981
Going off TSR for a bit. Not on rickroll rules. Will be back anon.
Raven the password, Lapwing the network, Jackdaw the administrative database. Are those the only ones or have any of you actually spotted even more birds in our university's computing system (or more imaginary birds in any Cambridge University-related space, virtual or real)? :wink: :biggrin: I would love to meet whoever is in charge of this.
Reply 9983
Original post by Slumpy
Nonsense. The threat of an ending is what gives the thread's fleeting existence meaning!:p:

Very true. It's growing on me :p: I feel like someone else should start the next thread as I'm no longer a Cambridge student, but then not many of the regular posters on this thread actually are Cambridge students!

Original post by lp386
...in my defence I have been a sporadic poster...

And you are particularly nice and welcoming, of course. Apart from when applicants wander in, and it's good that you have the taser handy for those kind of emergencies.

Oh yeah, it's definitely allowed that you didn't know about my year spent blathering about Soviet space travel. I don't think you were around that much when I was on my year abroad and that's when I persisted in bringing it up all the time because it was the only academic thing I had going on in my life and it was really fun and cool. If I ever write a PhD it will probably be on lots of aspects of the Soviet space programme.

Original post by Craghyrax

Me too. How silly of us to have thought that you were nice and welcoming! :p:

An easy mistake to make, I am actually terribly grouchy when you get to know me :p:

Original post by Topaz_eyes
Bah. Week five blues in week one? Not a good start :/

Hope you're alright :frown: I always found the first couple of weeks of each year completely overwhelming so you're definitely not alone on that front.

Original post by Catherine.
Finally solved my 'can't find the DVD I need for my supervision and none of the libraries have it' dilemma. Woohoo for the language centre.

Did you manage to watch it in there in the end, or do they actually do loans? Glad you found it! :smile:
Original post by ZuzaMagda
Raven the password, Lapwing the network, Jackdaw the administrative database. Are those the only ones or have any of you actually spotted even more birds in our university's computing system (or more imaginary birds in any Cambridge University-related space, virtual or real)? :wink: :biggrin: I would love to meet whoever is in charge of this.

Well, Hermes was a Greek god, whose symbols include a rooster, winged helmets and winged sandals :wink:

Wait till you graduate. The support network for the cantab e-mail addresses is the "Aluminati Network Support" or something like that. Someone on that team reads a bit too much Dan Brown.
I haven't posted in ages, and this is #9986 in this thread (which moves so fast that it might be locked before I visit again), so hello. :p:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Yeah, but visesh was the one who claimed the status of oracle by informing us that the first one was closed at 20,000 when we got sad because we realised that thread 9 wouldn't actually usually be 'over 90,000' :p:

Then you should refer to the thread number rather than the number of posts. The "best" (pfft) I've managed so far is "Count-ten-brigian". :mmm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9987
:hello:

Newbie here.

Original post by Tortious
x

Sorry for startling you when I said hi in the Union earlier. Inadvertent TSR encounter twice in two days!
Reply 9988
I went to a pub quiz this evening. I thought an answer was Ozymandias. We put Triple H. It turned out to be Jesus.

I vote for "Your grades aren't good enough. **** off."
Original post by Zoedotdot
I once memorised pi to 40 decimal places because I thought it would be funny to know more of pi than my mathmo boyfriend, but then I realised it wasn't really a fun game so I forgot it all again :p:
I know hundreds of digits of pi. I just don't know what order they're in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9989
Original post by Tortious
Then you should refer to the thread number rather than the number of posts. The "best" (pfft) I've managed so far is "Count-ten-bridgian". :mmm:

That is awful :p: But yes, that is rather sensible! Anyone else got any funny ten puns? It doesn't matter if the thread is started without a jazzy title, I can always change it afterwards :smile:

Original post by ratio
:hello:

Newbie here.

Yay, newbie! :biggrin:

Original post by harr
I went to a pub quiz this evening. I thought an answer was Ozymandias. We put Triple H. It turned out to be Jesus.

You should at least have got a point for demonstrating your knowledge of an incredibly wide cultural lexicon.
Reply 9990
You have no chance to survive make your ten.
Reply 9991
Starter for Ten.
Reply 9992
Original post by Slumpy
Starter for Ten.

YES.

Or, 'No, you lose five points.'
Reply 9993
Original post by Melz0r
YES.

Or, 'No, you lose five points.'

An amalgam? 'No, your grades aren't good enough, you lose five points.'
Original post by gethsemane342
The support network for the cantab e-mail addresses is the "Aluminati Network Support" or something like that. Someone on that team reads a bit too much Dan Brown.

My guess is that the A-word you want is simply "alumni". And that is in fact used very widely in the world of higher education when referring to a former student, the word "alumnus" meaning simply a "pupil" or a "nursling". In other words, it is the opposite of "alma mater" (foodgiving mother) and there is nothing pretentious about using it - it's just tradition.
Reply 9995
My guess is that the A-word you want is simply "alumni". And that is in fact used very widely in the world of higher education when referring to a former student, the word "alumnus" meaning simply a "pupil" or a "nursling". In other words, it is the opposite of "alma mater" (foodgiving mother) and there is nothing pretentious about using it - it's just tradition.

I've always found the phrase 'alma mater' rather unnecessarily pretentious. I tend to go with 'university'.
Reply 9996

I think she probably knows what alumni means, as she is in fact an alumna :p: The Cambridge alumni email service genuinely does have network support called something like Aluminati! Which is most likely some awful pun based on alumni and illuminati :facepalm:

EDIT: Right, there are three posts to go, everyone's disappeared and I'm going to bed. So if the thread reaches 10,000 before I get up in the morning can someone please start a new one, with or without horrendous pun, and report this one to be closed? :h: If no horrendous pun is decided, we can spend the first page of the new thread deciding on the appropriate horrendous pun that everyone is to be stuck with for the next 18 months, or however long it takes to fill the next thread.
(edited 11 years ago)

No i mean aluminati. I am an alumnus having graduated this year. My cantab address is managed by the Aluminati - hence why it's a Dan Brown pun :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Post 9,999! :awesome: Who gets the honour of ending the thread? :iiam:
Me with 29 A*s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending