The Student Room Group

Mr M's Edexcel GCSE Linear 1380 Higher Tier Paper 3 Answers June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Zak_Dubai
Unfortunately I don't think 0.4 will be accepted, only 0.5 because you it must generally be a rounded number, and you can't round up to 1 for the denominator so it is sensible to round to 0.5, which makes it simpler (the whole point in estimating) so you just double the numerator to get the answer) trust me I saw this kind of question on a past paper mark scheme

i did 8x20/0.5 and my answer is closer than 7x20/0.5, so im fine
Reply 581
Guys, in preparation for the calculator paper I came across a question:

"The sketch shows a curve with equation

y=ka^x

where k and a are constants, and a>0

The curve pases through points (1,7) and (3,175).

Calculate the value of k and the value of a."

I did:

7 = k x a^1
k = 7/a
175 = k x a^3
175 = 7a^3/a
175 = 7a^2
a^2 = 175/7
a = 5
k = 7/5
k = 1.4

Was my working correct? This was the last question on the June 08 paper - which I can't find a mark scheme for...
does anyone have the question paper?
Reply 583
Mr M can you clear a few things up for. Tell me if these are acceptable :

2b) 8 hours
3b) angle is parallel to 55 so is the same
8a) How many days in the week do you exercise? with appropriate response boxes
Reply 584
For Question 3b, would alternate angle or 'z' angle get any marks?
Original post by EmilyBea
Mr M, I think i only got around 50, maybe higher, so im guessing its not possible to get an A? i usually get A's in maths. great. is 50 a B or a C?

prob a high C
Reply 586
Grade Boundary for a B grade? Predictions?

Thanks ^_^
Hold on guys... you know the question about the mass of the metal thingy...

Did we need to convert to kg because I didn't see that.. I wrote 38400.. I didn't write grams or anything.. am I right or do i lose marks for not putting a unit? (i thought it didn't write that we neede to write a unit)
hii, if i got around 50 marks of the paper, how many will i need in the calculator paper to get a B overall??
Reply 589

Original post by Mr M
It's not a complete list or it would be twice as long.

They tend not to test the same topic twice unless they are "key" topics like percentages and standard form ... hang on ... they haven't even tested standard form and percentages yet ... hmmmm

Any chance you could post a complete list?
Reply 590
Sorry to bother you guys and girls.

But is it approx. 85% for an A* or approx. 185 UMS for an A*? (Maths linear)

Sorry.
Original post by fatemehahmadi14
Hold on guys... you know the question about the mass of the metal thingy...

Did we need to convert to kg because I didn't see that.. I wrote 38400.. I didn't write grams or anything.. am I right or do i lose marks for not putting a unit? (i thought it didn't write that we neede to write a unit)

it didnt ask for it but it did say leave your answer in grams... so its possible you will drop 1 out of 5 marks
Reply 592
Mr M

I put -0.5x as the gradient, will i loose a mark?

For the proof i said line cuts through vertx c and meets line AB at 90 degrees therefore all proportions are kept same and angles are same.
Reply 593
Hey Mr M can you tell me how you got h=sqroot 3x for number 25 because i checked 3 times and did it again and again and i got h=sqroot of 3xsquared
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by asian boy
Hey Mr M can you tell me how you got h=sqroot 3x for number 25 because i checked 3 times and did it again and again and i got h=sqroot3xsquared

your answer is correct, he just further simplfied .
Reply 595
For that cone and hemisphere question I did this:

Hemisphere surface area= 3π3\pix2x^2
Cone surface area= π\pixhxh <--Wrong

Then I did π\pixhxh=3π3\pix2x^2 and when I rearranged this I got:
h=3xh=3x

Do you think I would be able to scrape 1 or 2 marks in this question for my methodology?

P.S- I was quite surprised that even after completely failing at finding the surface area of a cone, I got somewhere near the right answer! :redface:
Original post by ScottENGLAND

Original post by ScottENGLAND
it didnt ask for it but it did say leave your answer in grams... so its possible you will drop 1 out of 5 marks

but 38400 is in grams so do i still get full marks?
Guys, what would be the grade boundry for an A grade out of 100 in this paper? ANY PREDICTIONS???
Reply 598
Prediction for A: 134-138? It's always been around 141.
Reply 599
Original post by Origins
Prediction for A: 134-138? It's always been around 141.

Lets assume the boundaries will be lower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending