The Student Room Group

TSR Economics society

Scroll to see replies

02mik_e
What advice would people give for the A2 coursework? I'm with AQA by the way

Oh why do they make you do coursework?! I just had 6 different papers to sit. My advice would be, do not copy anyone else's material, do your research very well. Have more than one person mark it [preferably in the Economics department!] and give you feed back too. Do your research very well and do not forget to footnote your work.
Reply 581
Eternity Forever
Oh why do they make you do coursework?! I just had 6 different papers to sit. My advice would be, do not copy anyone else's material, do your research very well. Have more than one person mark it [preferably in the Economics department!] and give you feed back too. Do your research very well and do not forget to footnote your work.

:ciao:

Well, your school can do an option of coursework or no coursework (just sit an exam) and we do the coursework option. I would prefer it that way though as i would have time to work on it. My Economics department is not very good :no: I think I'm the only one who got an A in the whole year, mainly because of the Economist on TSR :love:, without it i would have never got that :frown: Hence, I'll be doing the same for this and if anyone is willing to help me with my coursework, please PM me :smile:
Nuheen
Congrats to the the new leader of TSR Economics Society, Alex_hk90!

Thank you! :smile:

How do I get started (for example, confirming member applications)?
02mik_e
:ciao:

Well, your school can do an option of coursework or no coursework (just sit an exam) and we do the coursework option. I would prefer it that way though as i would have time to work on it. My Economics department is not very good :no: I think I'm the only one who got an A in the whole year, mainly because of the Economist on TSR :love:, without it i would have never got that :frown: Hence, I'll be doing the same for this and if anyone is willing to help me with my coursework, please PM me :smile:

I doubt I can help, and I'm doing a synoptic paper next year on OCR, but if you don't mind me asking what were you thinking of doing it on?
Electric_Dreams
I doubt I can help, and I'm doing a synoptic paper next year on OCR, but if you don't mind me asking what were you thinking of doing it on?

Would that be 2888 Economics in a European Context? If so then just ask here if you need any help; it's an easy paper if you prepare well. :yep:
alex_hk90
Would that be 2888 Economics in a European Context? If so then just ask here if you need any help; it's an easy paper if you prepare well. :yep:

Yes I think it is actually, and no doubt I will, thanks. :smile:
By the way, congrats on getting the grades for Cambridge- knew you would! :jive:
Reply 586
Electric_Dreams

Hmm it was going to be oil, but everyone is probaly going to do that, so what I'm trying to do is find something unique and I'm stuck for ideas at the moment, any ideas? This unit should be fun though :yep:
02mik_e
Hmm it was going to be oil, but everyone is probaly going to do that, so what I'm trying to do is find something unique and I'm stuck for ideas at the moment, any ideas? This unit should be fun though :yep:

Hmmm, I'll have a think- is there any kind of specification you have to meet? ie does it definitely have to be macro or micro or a combination? or do you have to do a certain level of data analysis? ect ect
Reply 588
Electric_Dreams
Hmmm, I'll have a think- is there any kind of specification you have to meet? ie does it definitely have to be macro or micro or a combination? or do you have to do a certain level of data analysis? ect ect

I think it can be a micro or macro, but i guess there are more marks available if it were the both.
02mik_e
I think it can be a micro or macro, but i guess there are more marks available if it were the both.

Can it be a vague essay or do you have to answer a specific question?
Reply 590
Electric_Dreams
Can it be a vague essay or do you have to answer a specific question?

Well, You have to answer a specific question. No way can it be vague, as it's coursework you see :frown:
02mik_e
Well, You have to answer a specific question. No way can it be vague, as it's coursework you see :frown:

Yeh, I'd thought as much but I was just checking. :smile:
Well... perhaps a good place to start would be to work out what kind of area you'd want to do it in, ie what areas of economics do you like most so far? That way you'd probably do your best and enjoy it too... unless you have the same problem as me and pretty much enjoy learning about all aspects of economics and the economy so far.

EDIT: Damn, you got the 600th post. :p:
Reply 592
Electric_Dreams
Yeh, I'd thought as much but I was just checking. :smile:
Well... perhaps a good place to start would be to work out what kind of area you'd want to do it in, ie what areas of economics do you like most so far? That way you'd probably do your best and enjoy it too... unless you have the same problem as me and pretty much enjoy learning about all aspects of economics and the economy so far. :yep:

Yeah I am pretty much the same as you. Economics is fun :yep: However, I do like talking about Oil as it affects everything :rolleyes:
02mik_e
Yeah I am pretty much the same as you. Economics is fun :yep: However, I do like talking about Oil as it affects everything :rolleyes:

lol, yeh pin pointing aspects to talk about for my personal statement have been ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, to me it sounds as though you you prefer the current affaires/political side of economics, so why not do something on oil? It's very relevant in the real world and could probably be looked at from many angles, you'd just need to make sure it didn't slip into a politics type piece of work, if that makes sense. To be honest I imagine there will be tonnes of people doing their coursework about the economic downturn, and although oil would be popular, it probably won't be as popular as you think.

Have you tried looking at coursework.info for example essays? I've never been on there myself but it's meant to be good, and obviously it's connected to here so wont be dodgy. It may give you a bit more direction.

On the issue of oil, you could look into Russia and how their new planned pipelines may affect the world economy. It could be quite interesting given the current political climate, but... I dunno, these are feeble starting points. :o:
Reply 594
alex_hk90

Alex is amazing!! Congrats to the new emperor of the TSR Economics Soc! All hail the new emperor! :bumps:

(in case you wondered: Alex's amazingness managed to get me an A in alevel economics! - yes alex, i DID stalk all your posts on the exams forum :p: )
Reply 595
Electric_Dreams
lol, yeh pin pointing aspects to talk about for my personal statement have been ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, to me it sounds as though you you prefer the current affaires/political side of economics, so why not do something on oil? It's very relevant in the real world and could probably be looked at from many angles, you'd just need to make sure it didn't slip into a politics type piece of work, if that makes sense. To be honest I imagine there will be tonnes of people doing their coursework about the economic downturn, and although oil would be popular, it probably won't be as popular as you think.

Have you tried looking at coursework.info for example essays? I've never been on there myself but it's meant to be good, and obviously it's connected to here so wont be dodgy. It may give you a bit more direction.

On the issue of oil, you could look into Russia and how their new planned pipelines may affect the world economy. It could be quite interesting given the current political climate, but... I dunno, these are feeble starting points. :o:

:rofl: I will never turn it into a Political arguement. Enough people in my economics class do that and fail. I'm not sure about oil, I'm looking for an obsecure topic, which i can maybe link oil into it or something.

Yeah, I've tried coursework.info, don't like it that much :frown:

I'll talk to my teacher when i get back to school as people in our school seem to do well on the coursework. oh so you're planning on doing Economics at uni? I wish I could, with Politics obviously :wink:. Nah for real. I would have liked to have studied Economics on it's own, but i don't do A-level maths. My teacher is telling me to go into it, but i don't want to risk getting 5 rejections. :smile:
02mik_e
:rofl: I will never turn it into a Political arguement. Enough people in my economics class do that and fail. I'm not sure about oil, I'm looking for an obsecure topic, which i can maybe link oil into it or something.

Yeah, I've tried coursework.info, don't like it that much :frown:

I'll talk to my teacher when i get back to school as people in our school seem to do well on the coursework. oh so you're planning on doing Economics at uni? I wish I could, with Politics obviously :wink:. Nah for real. I would have liked to have studied Economics on it's own, but i don't do A-level maths. My teacher is telling me to go into it, but i don't want to risk getting 5 rejections. :smile:

lol sounds like a good plan. Aww if you really want to do it you should go for it! or an politics/economics split which would probably be quite safe. How did you do at GCSE? I guess you could always pick up AS this year. There may be no point in doing a degree you're not 100% into, than again you may really like doing a politics degree... argh. :woo:
Reply 597
Electric_Dreams
lol sounds like a good plan. Aww if you really want to do it you should go for it! or an politics/economics split which would probably be quite safe. How did you do at GCSE? I guess you could always pick up AS this year. There may be no point in doing a degree you're not 100% into, than again you may really like doing a politics degree... argh. :woo:

I got a B at GCSE maths, I hate it, that's my problem. The sheer excitement i got from learning how to do simultaneous equations. :frown: No don't get me wrong I really enjoy politics and would love to do a degree in it, but seeing as I have enjoyed Economics this year, I would also be interested in doing that. That's why I said I wanted to do politics & economics. What I was palnning on doing, was doing a full politics degree, then doing economics as a side subject. :smile:
02mik_e
I got a B at GCSE maths, I hate it, that's my problem. The sheer excitement i got from learning how to do simultaneous equations. :frown: No don't get me wrong I really enjoy politics and would love to do a degree in it, but seeing as I have enjoyed Economics this year, I would also be interested in doing that. That's why I said I wanted to do politics & economics. What I was palnning on doing, was doing a full politics degree, then doing economics as a side subject. :smile:

I was going to but decided to just go for economics.
You could always go for a BA course I suppose.
Hmm... I think you should go for joint! :biggrin:
Reply 599
alex_hk90
Thank you! :smile:

How do I get started (for example, confirming member applications)?

Not much to do, just accept applicants. Here is the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=manageself

Then go to join requests. Check periodically.

Quick Reply

Latest