The Student Room Group

Personal statement HELP - econ

I’d like to talk about sustainability because I find it interesting but also because I’m applying to international business, but I know that people suggest talking about something in the uni’s course structure but they don’t include sustainability in econ, is this fine?

How can I bridge sustainability between these two subjects. I know I could research about sustainable economic development but is this as far as I can go?
Reply 1
Sustainability is a key issue in economics, especially in recent years, so you shouldn't be at a disadvantage talking about it in your ps provided you address it from an economic perspective. I.e. you have to talk about limited resources and unlimited wants, economic stakeholders each pursuing their personal interests (and not of the planet or society), common access resources and their depletion (the tragedy of the commons), land as one of the key factors of production, etc. Alternatively you could talk about economic solutions to address environmental issues, like international agreements, carbon credit schemes, carbon taxes, subsidies for clean energy, etc.

Hope this helps.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by DmitryC
Sustainability is a key issue in economics, especially in recent years, so you shouldn't be at a disadvantage talking about it in your ps provided you address it from an economic perspective. I.e. you have to talk about limited resources and unlimited wants, economic stakeholders each pursuing their personal interests (and not of the planet or society), common access resources and their depletion (the tragedy of the commons), land as one of the key factors of production, etc. Alternatively you could talk about economic solutions to address environmental issues, like international agreements, carbon credit schemes, carbon taxes, subsidies for clean energy, etc.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for seeing this late, I thought no one replied. This is actually so useful, thank you so MUCHH!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending