The Student Room Group

Do you have any odd or eccentric interests?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ciaran88
It's namesake! :smile: To Have and Have Not

Second only to For Whom the Bell Tolls in the list of the most awesome novel titles evar

Ah right :p: For some reason when you said 'loosely based' I thought you were referring to the title and not the actual plot. No idea why, ha ha...

I was literature-shopping the other day and saw 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' - I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm keen to read it at some point. Got another, shorter, Hemingway novel to get through first!
Original post by Kattt_452
Ah right :p: For some reason when you said 'loosely based' I thought you were referring to the title and not the actual plot. No idea why, ha ha...

I was literature-shopping the other day and saw 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' - I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm keen to read it at some point. Got another, shorter, Hemingway novel to get through first!

Ah, without a doubt, the ultimate...

Come on and kill me, fish, I do not care who kills who..
Ah, without a doubt, the ultimate...

Come on and kill me, fish, I do not care who kills who..

I take it you're a fan, then? :smile:

Seeing as we were talking about this I just went and picked up 'The Torrents of Spring'...flicked to the back(but not the ending!) and my first recommendation was of course...'To Have and Have Not'. :p:
I take it you're a fan, then? :smile:

Seeing as we were talking about this I just went and picked up 'The Torrents of Spring'...flicked to the back(but not the ending!) and my first recommendation was of course...'To Have and Have Not'. :p:

Haha, nice! Listen to that book it knows what it's talking about :wink:

A fan of Ernest Hemingway.. well, I am going marlin fishing in Sri Lanka in 4 weeks. Does that answer your question? :biggrin:
Haha, nice! Listen to that book it knows what it's talking about :wink:

A fan of Ernest Hemingway.. well, I am going marlin fishing in Sri Lanka in 4 weeks. Does that answer your question? :biggrin:

The master of the iceberg technique. I shall, I shall absorb it.

Ha ha! Oh yes, that definitely answers my question! :tongue:
I read and collect books on serial killers. People are always surprised when they find out, but it's always been a fascination of mine. I got my first one when I was 7 from a school table top sale and I have about 35 now :smile:
Original post by rachelkeira
I read and collect books on serial killers. People are always surprised when they find out, but it's always been a fascination of mine. I got my first one when I was 7 from a school table top sale and I have about 35 now :smile:

This seems to be quite common on this thread! Although, I quite...like(?) watching serial killr documentaries. Always gives me chills though...35, wow :eek:
This seems to be quite common on this thread! Although, I quite...like(?) watching serial killr documentaries. Always gives me chills though...35, wow :eek:

Yeah, I'm not so into the documentaries, or films. Just the books; I've read most of my collection at least 10 times each. Good to see I'm not the only one around with this weird interest though :smile:
Original post by GabGirl
I love bowls too. My friends say i'm turning old ( i'm only 16) but the game is great . Once i watched bowels and the OAPs in the stage were singing we will rock you as the players came on lit was so funny

aha me too, i'm referred to as 'Grandma' by my friends :P haha that sounds quite entertaining, the old'uns do make me laugh :')
Original post by Azzie_May
I have one that smells like marmalade :biggrin:

OMG, my old obsession for it is definitely returning! That's awesome! I might have to find my collection again lol!:colondollar:
Original post by JAR12
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't :K:
it needs to be Artist\Album\03 name of song.mp3
It's unacceptable for songs within an album to have different genres!

haha same :biggrin: all my music has to be sorted into folders and everything :smile: can't stand it if it's properties are not properly edited , it really bugs me :tongue:
Reply 211
Clouds (even stratus!), my heart just lifts when I see a cumulus congestus, especially when the sun's setting :smile: . I used to have an unhealthy obsession with studying paedophiles, psychopaths and sociopaths when I was around 11-16, god forbid I ever actually met one! I like to walk for hours to find the perfect place to sit. My perfect seat was a large wooden block on a bridge overlooking a bypass, haven't found one as nice since then. Can't think of any others at the moment =/
Reply 212
This was brilliant, just looking over old threads!!!
Deliberately kicking the corner of the coffee table as to break my little toe so that I have an excuse when I get pummelled by a 6ft 6in Ukrainian... :rolleyes:

I was doing this long before David Haye. That guy needs to get his own hobby!! :angry:
When I was 10, I used to collect corks. I was told it was good luck :/
I love learning languages(it isn't odd/eccentric I know but I just adore them) German ftw at the moment. I like books about life in mental institutions(I've only got one flew over the cuckoos nest and girl interrupted and The Bell Jar so far..) I like owls,and owl related objects,I have roughly 5 owl necklaces and bracelets.Oh and a few turtle necklaces.I like collecting scarves,really unusual ones,I have one that is white which musical notes all over it that is from the 50's.
Original post by OddThings
I love learning languages(it isn't odd/eccentric I know but I just adore them) German ftw at the moment. I like books about life in mental institutions(I've only got one flew over the cuckoos nest and girl interrupted and The Bell Jar so far..) I like owls,and owl related objects,I have roughly 5 owl necklaces and bracelets.Oh and a few turtle necklaces.I like collecting scarves,really unusual ones,I have one that is white which musical notes all over it that is from the 50's.

That is neither odd nor eccentric.
old thread but I'll bite.

I collect Rupert the Bear annuals. This is my collection :

My facsimiles.
1939 (top row, 2nd from left) has some shelf-wear rubbing to edge of cover, and has name written in the "belongs to" box.
All the rest are brand new mint condition.

My mint condition originals.
Two out of my 3 copies of 2010 are signed by the artist

My used condition originals, which have perfect covers, but inside they have some wear (either : name written in belongs to box, and/or price clipped, and/or colouring-in/puzzle pages filled in.

My poor condition originals, which have damaged covers and most have been written inside as well.

My miscellaneous Rupert books, most of which are in used or poor condition.

I've been collecting rupert annuals my entire life. Obviously though, a lot of my poor condition ones are sadly in a poor condition thanks to me having been a toddler/young child when I acquired them. And my parents didn't have the foresight to prevent me from destroying them.

So that's my "odd or eccentric interest". What can I say...I'm quirky that way.

edited to add : I also have two copies of the 2012 annual, and a further 1 copy of the 1970 facsimilie. Oh and another small miscellaneous Rupert book. But these are not shown in the pics (cos I took the pics before I acquired them).
(edited 12 years ago)
I collect and repair pre-1990s TV sets and VCRs.

My oldest TV dating back to before the war - working on the 405 line standard too! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest