The Student Room Group

Why is there no History and Modern Languages dissertation?

Hey everyone! I’ve been trying to compare the History and Modern Languages courses at Oxford and Cambridge for some time now. As well as looking at a few others (History + History and English). I’ve noticed that the whilst the Cambridge course offers a dissertation in it’s 3rd Tripos, Oxford doesn’t in final year. At first I thought this was how the Oxford joint school courses were structured, but looking at the History and English course there is a dissertation offered. So i’m wondering if there’s any known explanation as to why Oxford’s History and Modern Languages course doesn’t. Thankyou :smile:
i'm not sure ):
would a dissertation affect your decision to apply to Oxford or Cambridge?
Original post by beautifulworld
i'm not sure ):
would a dissertation affect your decision to apply to Oxford or Cambridge?

It might do..I’m trying to figure out now how important that would be to me. I like the idea of doing one because it would mean being able to explore something I personally found interesting, but I would be interested in knowing the perspectives of people actually studying the degree. It just strikes me as odd that it’s offered for many courses but not that one.
does the Oxford course have room for you to explore a topic of your personal interest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending