The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

okapobcfc08 said a lot of what I wanted to say perfectly. But I'm going to continue on nonetheless.

Original post by Charzhino
You do, all your parents worship the Guru's pictures and idolise them in Gurdwaras, funerals and weddings.

Oh hey, I didn't realise that you know me, my parents, or even the Gurdwara I go to. I'm sorry to tell you, no, we do not worship pictures and they are not even hanging up at my local Gurdwara. A painted photo is just that; a painted photo. It helps conceptualise an image of the Guru, which isn't exactly necessary, but some people like to have them hanging up anyway. We do not believe God is in the photo. We do not speak to the photo. We do not worship the photo.

Like okapobcfc08 said, do you worship every photo hanging up in your home? And where have you seen Sikhs gathered around a photo or statue worshipping? Whatever your personal feelings may be, I was giving you the facts of Sikhism, which still remain the same. Sikhs should not worship idols. There's no disputing that fact.

And you fail to understand the difference between idol worship and worship of Guru Granth Sahib ji. We view Guru Granth Sahib ji as our living Guru not because it takes the physical form of a human Guru, but because of the precious Gurbani written BY our Gurus. It is not the book we bow down to, not the pages, not the ink on the pages, but the words. I'm sorry you can't comprehend the difference between bowing down to a statue of God's apparent physical form and bowing down to holy words of our Guru.

You have castes such as the jatts, etc. Good way to follow scripture right?

I love the condescending, pompous ending of the sentence. Surely an educated person like yourself understands the difference between culture and religion. Since when did Sikhism condone the caste system? It condemns it. Punjabi culture glorifies the caste system and certainly some idiots like to follow it. But again, the fact remains that Sikhism shuns the caste system.

jaanahu joth n pooshhahu jaathee aagai jaath n hae ||1|| rehaao ||
Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. ||1||Pause||

There is no high or low caste in Hinduism, another gross misinterpretation of the Varna caste system which is something totally different. The afterlife or Hindiusm and Sikhism is exactly the same with no difference.

Sorry, but that is entirely false. There is high or low caste in Hinduism and it is incorporated in the cycle of reincarnation. I've studied and researched both the Hindu and Sikh views on the afterlife and reincarnation, and they are indeed different.

Whats to suggest this is any different for a Hindu temple?

Obviously with the caste system economic and social status is relevant to Hindus. I didn't suggest that the Mandir doesn't give free food like the Gurdwara, I'm simply telling you that the Sikh Gurus initiated langar, and one of its purposes was to show equality between all people.

So does Hinduism. The Guru Granth Sahib explains the deitites of Hinduism are all the form of One God called Waheguru in Sikhism or the Brahman in Hinduism. It goes onto say there is no difference between the Gurus and God which just adds to the evidence that it supports Adviata Vedenta, idea that the soul and God are essesntially the same once you have become enlightended such as the Gurus achieved.

Yes, you're talking about what Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj says, I know that. Sikhs believe that there is one God, whether we call him Waheguru, Allah or Brahman. But it is debatable between Hindus whether they have many Gods and Goddesses, or simply one God who has many forms. The majority would say that they have many Gods and Godesses, for many different things.

God never is born and never dies true. But is the soul really born at a point? No it never has a beggining and never an end. The illusion of being born and dieing is just that, an illusion as is the material world.

?

Neither does Brahman.

Again, debatable.

The apparent importance of the cow is just another misconception. There is no scriptural evidence supporting the fact that cows are somehow holy.

Disagree!
“The goddess of fortune (Sri) left the demons and went to the gods. After many years she went to the cows and asked to dwell within them; at first they refused, since she was so inconstant and fickle; at last she said, ‘No part of your bodies is disgusting; let me live somewhere in you.’ The cows agreed to let her dwell in their urine and dung.” Mahabharata 13:81:1-86

Neither do Hindus, your referring to Muslims here.

I read that many Hindus believe they must pray towards the West. That's probably my mistake as websites can't be trusted.

The practice of Sati has no scriptutral evidence in any of the major texts. Women and men are equal, there were many women Hindu sages. Where any of the gurus female?

Oh really? You just keep saying that there is no scriptural evidence, but again I disagree entirely.

(RV 10.18.7)
Let these women, whose husbands are worthy and are living, enter the house with ghee (applied) as collyrium (to their eyes). Let these wives first step into the pyre, tearless without any affliction and well adorned.[62]

Yes, this clearly shows that women and men are equal. :rolleyes:

And you talk about there being no Sikh Gurus who were women, but I'm sure if you thought about it you'd understand why. The Gurgaddi was passed on to the person who deserved it; the person who proved to be the most humble, the most passionate, the most devoted follower of the Guru, etc. Take Guru Angad Dev ji for example; he was often by Guru Nanak Dev ji's side and would listen to his every whim. Do you think that women were following the Guru at this time in India? Unfortunately, women were at home being housewives, and most of them dare not speak up for the Guru or speak out of place against the norms and values of society (which the Gurus did). For example, five MEN spoke up when Guru Gobind Singh ji wanted five heads. But if you want to learn about brave, respected Sikh women, you can read up on Mai Bhago.

What do you mean by this?

I mean that the way that Gurbani talks about the beginning of the universe is entirely different to the way that Hinduism views it.

Every indiviudal has the ability to reach a high spiritual state regardless of caste, creed or status.

I know.. :rolleyes:

Simply put, all Guru Nanak did was to cut down on the ritualistic activtities and caste system that had plauged Hinduism from cultural settings. He came to restore Hinduism back to its original state, not to create a new religion. He also tried to convey to both Hindus and Muslims who had been arguing for centuries that they are in fact equal and no religion is higher than the other since he said Allah and Vishnu are one and the same.

If you actually know the theology of Brahman/Adviata and compare it to descriptions of God in the Granth without looking at all the surface but at the actual core ideas, you will see they are the same.

The only part that I agree with is in bold. Restore Hinduism back to its original state, ha! How can you say that Guru Nanak rejecting the beliefs of Hinduism, such as the caste system or sati, was an attempt to "restore Hinduism back to its original state"? You can say that the caste system is not supported by scripture all you want but everyone knows that is rubbish. Guru Nanak Dev ji came up with a different way of life entirely, one not plagued by pathetic social class separations and rituals. You may wish to believe that Sikhism is a branch of Hinduism but in saying so, you lack a lot of basic knowledge about Sikhism. Read up on all the hundreds of things that the other Gurus did too, and then understand Sikhism.

If you believe that Sikhism is just a branch of Hinduism you need to do some reading and learning. http://www.sikhanswers.com/miscellaneous/all-paths-equal-why-was-sikhism-started/
(edited 12 years ago)

Dont be so naive, many if not all Sikhs meditate AND worship infront of Sikh Gurus photos and the Granth Sahib itself, practically putting it the sleep and bowing down on it. The practice of idol worship is not justified in Sikhism but you assume it is in Hinduism as well. Idol worship isn't simply asking a statue for good luck or money like you see in movies, infact that sort of practice is stritcly forbidden and one needs to understand the true nature of God before he can reach enligthenment:

The latter part of your sentence is insulting and near racist to me. You tit, how dare you devalue our current master, living guru, the king of all kings, the master scriptures for whom each race and religion is welcome, Dhan Dhan Sahib SGGS Maharaj. Sikhs bow b4 the 11th master is it is a living prophet, the form of God, this is why we worship it. Now this is entirely different to worship statues of past incarnations of God, whom thought they were God but had there egos punished. It would take a person with -150IQ to compare worshiping the living form of God with worshiping stone sculptures and feeding them coconut.

Also what is so bad about idol worship itself? How can a limited and finite mind even comprehend something for a second which is unseen, infinite and formless. Its impossible no matter how much you dress it up.

Good question, but I will give you guidance from Sahib-e-Kamaal, 10th master, which even people like us, dumb idiots, can understand:

chaakr chihan ahu baran jaath ar paath nehin jih |
O Lord! Thou hast neither Discernible Features, nor denomination, nor caste, nor lineage.

roop rang ar raekh bhaekh kaeoo kehi n sakath kih |
None can describe thy splendance, colour, distinctive marks and costume

achal moorath anabho prakaas amithoj kehjiai |
Thy entity is immovable, thou art self-resplendent, thy power is considered to be inestimable.

kott eindhr eindhraan saahu saahaan ganjiai |
Thou art reckoned as the overlord of millions of indras (heavenly Kings) and the king of all kings

thribhavan meheep sur nar asur naeth naeth ban thrin kehath |
Thou art the paramount sovereign of the three worlds (Heaven, Earth and nether), Deities, Mortals, Demons along with forest vegetation, proclaim thee infinite.

thav sarab naam kathai kavan karam naam baranath sumath |1|
Who can recount all thy names? The wise have attempted to mention they action-names as revealed by they wonderful functions.

Your wrong, unfortunalty. The God you call Waheguru has form, in the form of the Gurus however you fail to understand the deeper meaning of verses such as these:

The Guru and God both appear before me. To whom should I prostate? I bow before Guru who introduced God to me. - Kabir

The Guru is the Giver, the Guru is All-powerful. The Guru is All-pervading, contained amongst all.

The Guru is the Transcendent Lord, the Supreme Lord God. The Guru lifts up and saves those who are drowning.

The Guru and the Transcendent Lord are one and the same, pervading and permeating amongst all.
SGGS 53-5

This is essentially what Jesus was saying when he said, ''I and the Father are One'', but Christians misintepretated it to mean Jesus was God in the flesh. What the Gurus and Jesus are referring to is that God is essentially the soul of every living creature which is how He can be omnipresent and omniscience. You limit yourself to the manifest, where in fact material existence is an illusion.

What are you on about? Sikhism believes that is only one God. It is the almighty’s decision how many prophets to send. All these prophets aren’t different God, they are different types from the same source. Hinduism has many Gods. This is the difference. Sikhism is a case of many streams from one source of water. Hinduism is many sources.

bhinn bhinn sabhehoon kar jaanaa | eaek roop kinehoon pehichaanaa |
All (Ignorant people) perceived the Gurus (Spiritual Masters) as dissimilar entities.

jin jaanaa thin hee sidh paaee | bin samajhae sidh haath n aaee | 10|
They, who knew this fact, attained spiritual power.
They, who did not make it out, attained no such power. Only a few recognized the Gurus as one and the same.

Sorry mate but I was asking for any main Hindu scripture evidence that supports the cow is somehow holy.

Why wouldn’t I believe that the giver of riches, the wisest of them all, the living master, Dhan Dhan Sahib SGGS Maharaj would provide enough weight in proof?

Who actually said this verse? Which Guru.

The 4th master, the founder of Amritsar, Sodhi Sultan, Sahib Sri Guru Ram Dass Sahib Maharaj I believe wrote the verse.

Fact: Guru Nanak never created another religion, give me some direct evidence of this. Guru Nana never mentioned Sikhism is any form, his duty was to simply stop the fighting between Islam and Hindus and show them back to there OWN ways, NOT to create a religion.

What a load of bull. I gave you your damn proof via Sri Dasam Granth, clearly you don’t read posts properly. I also gave you evidence from vaars of Bhai Sahib Bhai Gurdas Ji. These are two sources, over which nor me or you have any authority to question. Are you jealous of us Sikhs? One more try

sikhahu sabadh piaariho janam maran kee ttaek |
O Sikhs, love the Word of the Shabad; in life and death, it is our only support.

mukh oojal sadhaa sukhee naanak simarath eaek |2|
Your face shall be radiant, and you shall find a lasting peace, O Nanak, remembering the One Lord in meditation

If sikhs = hindus, then who is the great 5th master, the first matryr of Sikhism, the greatest of the great, Dhan Dhan Sahib Sri Guru Arjun Dev Sahib Maharaj, referring to when sayin “O, sikhs”. Who are the Gursikhs who the Sikhs whom the masters are referring to in other references I gave if there was no Sikhism? You really are an idiot lmao!!

Only the tenth Guru had made it into a religion

Funny how Nasroo Mansoor, Sahib-e-Kamal, Dasam Patshah shut you up when the 10th master himself wrote that the greatest philosopher in the history of the world, the wisest of them all, Dhan Dhan Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Maharaj began Sikhism.

[QUOTE="Charzhino;32735133"]

There are countless references to the Vedas and Hindu dieities in the Granth Sahib. Here is the quote from Guru Tegh Bhadar

Guru Tegh Bahadur's reply to Aurangzeb's ordering him to embrace Islam.
(In response, Shri Tegh Bahadur says, My religion is Hindu and how can I abandon what is so dear to me? This religion helps you in this world and that, and only a fool would abandon it. God himself is the protector of this religion and no one can destroy it.)

I’m not going to reply to your posts today, as they are degrading if you carry on repeating this comment. There is no proof in sikh scriptures or sikh history that such a comment was made by the 9th master, the great master whom India is indebted too, Dhan Dhan Sahib Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib Maharaj. I find this comment actally racist, and I’m very angry that such insulting remark could be made without any proof. Sri Dasam Granth Sahib will again shut your egotistical mouth:

thilak janvoo raakhaa prabh thaa kaa | keeno baddo kaloo mehi saakaa |
The Master (Guru Tegh Bahadur) saved the religious symbols-the frontal mark and the sacred thread of Kashmiri Brahmans and Hindus. He performed an epoch-making exploit in the Iron age.

saadhun haeth eithee jin karee | sees dheeaa par see n oucharee |13|
In order to save the pious people, he went far beyond the limit of sacrifice. He gave away his head but did not utter a whisper of a groan.

All in all, these posts and corresponding posts show how Sikhism and Hinduism are so different. People will have seen how pro-hindu users have tried to desecrate the values of the Sikh masters to prove their point.
Original post by Amit92
Many of the Sikh gurus had Hindu names also right?

Did it ever occur to you that this may be because some of the Sikh Gurus were born into Hindu families? :facepalm2: I do not understand why you're on a forum instead of doing your own research.

Yes Guru Har Krishan for example. Sikhism was only officially formed after the last Guru decided to create the Khalsa but even he adhered to the Hindu deities in many of his Shabads. Guru Tegbhadar was reported to say, '' why would anyone leave the Hindu Dharma, only a fool would do so'', in response to Muslim forced conversions.

You say Guru Gobind Singh ji adhered to the Hindu dieties and I'm guessing you speak of the Dasam Granth, but you're simply taking things for face value instead of understanding the meaning behind them or the context in which they were written. Also, LOL, I'm sure Guru Tegh Bahadur was "reported" to say that :rolleyes: how very convenient for your argument. I think you're lacking a bit of evidence here... but I understand, you've been doing that all the way through your posts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by RoshniDiya
Did it ever occur to you that this may be because some of the Sikh Gurus were born into Hindu families? :facepalm2: I do not understand why you're on a forum instead of doing your own research.

I rather gain an insight from an actual adherent to sikhism, rather than some 3rd party online source, which may not be very credible you see..
Original post by Amit92
I rather gain an insight from an actual adherent to sikhism, rather than some 3rd party online source, which may not be very credible you see..

And yet you seem like you're easily swayed by anyone. There are people here, and indeed everywhere, who will distort Sikhism and make you believe what they want you to believe. It is best that you do research for yourself and gather your own interpretations rather than listening to those who may not be trustworthy... I recommend sikhitothemax.com, you can search in English and find Gurbani which corresponds with your queries.
Reply 185
Original post by RoshniDiya
And yet you seem like you're easily swayed by anyone. There are people here, and indeed everywhere, who will distort Sikhism and make you believe what they want you to believe. It is best that you do research for yourself and gather your own interpretations rather than listening to those who may not be trustworthy... I recommend sikhitothemax.com, you can search in English and find Gurbani which corresponds with your queries.

If you're talking about from earlier, I found it interesting to see both sides of the argument, one arguing sikhism is a branch of hinduism and the other opposing...but I'll take that into consideration. Thanks alot :smile:!
Reply 186
I have the flu, what should I do..
sad to see arguments going on in an online sikh-soc....
Reply 188
There is high or low caste in Hinduism and it is incorporated in the cycle of reincarnation

Oh dear what completely untrue let us see that facts:

http://agniveer.com/888/caste-system/

Yajurved 26.2:
The way I gave this knowledge of Vedas for benefit of all humans, similarly you all also propagate the same for benefit of Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Shudras, Vaishyas, Women and even most downtrodden. The scholars and the wealthy people should ensure that they not deviate from this message of mine.

Atharvaved 19.32.8:
O Lord! May I be loved by everyone Brahmin, Kshatriya, Shudra or Vaishya. May I be admired by everyone.

and now can u explain this:

In The Bhagawad Gita, sloka 20, Chapter 10, Lord Krishna says,

"I am the Self seated in the heart of all creatures. I am the beginning, the middle and the very end of all beings". All beings have, therefore to be treated alike.

where does it say to exclude anyone well?

dear me, there is only one caste human, but of course we each have a different function and it is that Vedas talk about, and dignity of labour:
http://agniveer.com/881/dignity-of-labor/

Rigveda 1.117.21
The King and minister should sow seeds and do farming from time to time to set right examples for Arya. This makes them deserving of praise.

Rigveda 8.22.6 echoes the same sentiment.

Rigveda 4.57.4 states that the king should hold the plough and start the farming during beginning of season. He should also ensure healthy cows for milk.

Picture forming yet
Reply 189
The practice of Sati has no scriptutral evidence in any of the major texts. Women and men are equal, there were many women Hindu sages. Where any of the gurus female?

Oh really? You just keep saying that there is no scriptural evidence, but again I disagree entirely.

(RV 10.18.7)
Let these women, whose husbands are worthy and are living, enter the house with ghee (applied) as collyrium (to their eyes). Let these wives first step into the pyre, tearless without any affliction and well adorned.[62]

there is no sati:
http://www.jhubc.it/bcjournal/articles/polisi.cfm
Hindu practices such as Sati, the expectation of a wife to throw herself on her husband's funeral pyre at his ceremonial cremation, were not known in the Vedic period. The ancient Hindu scripture the Rig Veda states, "Rise up woman, thou art lying by one whose life is gone, come to the world of the living, away from thy husband, and become the wife of him who holds thy hand and is willing to marry thee." This passage makes it clear that at a husband's death a wife is not expected to perform Sati

well??

now some more about gender equality in santan dharma:

Hindu scriptures clearly convey the role of women in the Vedas. "The wife and husband, being the equal halves of one substance, are equal in every aspect; therefore, both should join and take equal parts in all work, religious and secular." Wives and husbands were directed by the Vedas to perform religious rites, ceremonies, and sacrifices together as is evidenced by the Sanskrit name given to the spiritual role of wives, Sahadharmini, or "spiritual helpmate." Women had property ownership rights and the ability to plead their own court cases as is shown in Book X of the Rig Veda

no equality really:

Hindu gods and goddesses personify manifestations of Hindu religious concepts and nature. Interestingly, Hindu goddesses, rather than gods, are most often used to represent abstract fundamental principles such as power, strength, education, and wealth as well as important natural phenomena such as the mountains, the dawn, the earth, and the rivers. For example, Hinduism personifies divine strength and power in the form of a female figure referred to as Shakti. Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning, Music and Fine Arts, is portrayed as a female in Hindu texts and paintings. Likewise, Lakshmi is the Goddess of Wealth,

basic facts there would be no manifestations of god, in female form if no equalit SIMPLES!!
Reply 190
Now some more facts on status of women:

http://agniveer.com/3809/mother-woman/

Rigveda 10.17.10: O Mothers! Purify us with your compassion, understanding and enlightenment. The women cleanse us all from all our sins, corruption and defects. We come out firm, pure and noble from their blessed company.

Yajurveda 6.17: O pure and blessing Mothers! Cleanse us all from sins, immorality and pollution. Purge us from falsehood, hatred, jealousy and frustrations.

Yajurveda 6.31: O pure and blessing Mothers! Satisfy our mind, speech, life, eyes, ears, soul and society with nobleness.

Atharvaveda 3.13.7: O pure and blessing Mothers! I am your beloved son. O powerful mother, please guide me towards fulfillment of my noble aspirations.

Rigveda 6.61.7: O enlightening Mother! You have the potential to destroy the evil. You have a character as pure as gold. You have the potential to destroy the clouds of frustrations and doubt. You are brave and you only aspire for our well-being and success! We are indeed blessed!

Atharvaveda 7.68.2: O enlightening Mother! May you always shower your blessings in form of peace, happiness and success. May you always be pleased with us and may we never conduct any act that excludes us from your blessing gaze.

Yajurveda 12.15: If you desire brilliance, approach the mother. With her blessing, be the scholar of all subjects. Do not aggrieve the mother. Enlighten yourself with pure blessings of the noble mother.

May these pearls of wisdom inspire us all to lay foundation of a society that respects and nurtures women to conduct their duties as mothers of entire humanity. May the women never deviate from this glorious path. May we never deviate from lowering our respect for the motherly woman. And may we all work together to annihilate within and outside us all those forces that attempt to cause such deviations.

basic facts yet individuals choose to ignore
Reply 191
Hindus whether they have many Gods and Goddesses, or simply one God who has many forms. The majority would say that they have many Gods and Godesses, for many different things.

well lets see the scriptures:

http://agniveer.com/2708/vedic-god/
The Supreme One who represents selflessness, controls the entire universe, is present everywhere and is the Devata of all Devatas, alone is source of bliss. Those who do not understand Him remain drenched in sorrow and those who realize Him achieve unconditional happiness. (Rigveda 1.164.39)

Quote:
To dispel such confusions, there are several mantras in Vedas that clearly state that there is One and Only One Ishwar without any assistants, agents, prophets or juniors to liaison between Him and Us. For example:

Yajurveda 40.1:
This entire world is embedded within and managed by the One and Only One Ishwar. Never dare do any injustice or desire riches through unjust means. Instead follow the righteous path and enjoy His bliss. After all He alone is source of all bliss!

Rigveda 10.48.1:
Ishwar alone is omnipresent and manager of entire universe. He alone provides victory and eternal cause of world. All souls should look up only to Him in same manner as children look up to their Father. He alone provides for our sustenance and bliss.

Rigveda 10.48.5
Ishwar enlightens the entire world. He is undefeated and undying. He is the creator of the world. All souls should seek bliss through seeking knowledge and acting thereupon. They should never shun the friendship of Ishwar.

Quote:
Atharvaveda 13.4.16-21
He is neither two, nor three, nor four, nor five, nor six, nor seven, nor eight, nor nine, nor ten. He is, on contrary, One and Only One. There is no Ishwar except Him. All devatas reside within Him and are controlled by Him. So He alone should be worshipped, none else.

Atharvaveda 10.7.38
Ishwar alone is greatest and worth being worshipped. He is the source of all knowledge and activities

simples!!
Reply 192
Hinduism has many Gods

well let us see scriptural facts:

The Supreme One who represents selflessness, controls the entire universe, is present everywhere and is the Devata of all Devatas, alone is source of bliss. Those who do not understand Him remain drenched in sorrow and those who realize Him achieve unconditional happiness. (Rigveda 1.164.39)

Quote:
To dispel such confusions, there are several mantras in Vedas that clearly state that there is One and Only One Ishwar without any assistants, agents, prophets or juniors to liaison between Him and Us. For example:

Yajurveda 40.1:
This entire world is embedded within and managed by the One and Only One Ishwar. Never dare do any injustice or desire riches through unjust means. Instead follow the righteous path and enjoy His bliss. After all He alone is source of all bliss!

Rigveda 10.48.1:
Ishwar alone is omnipresent and manager of entire universe. He alone provides victory and eternal cause of world. All souls should look up only to Him in same manner as children look up to their Father. He alone provides for our sustenance and bliss.

Rigveda 10.48.5
Ishwar enlightens the entire world. He is undefeated and undying. He is the creator of the world. All souls should seek bliss through seeking knowledge and acting thereupon. They should never shun the friendship of Ishwar.

Quote:
Atharvaveda 13.4.16-21
He is neither two, nor three, nor four, nor five, nor six, nor seven, nor eight, nor nine, nor ten. He is, on contrary, One and Only One. There is no Ishwar except Him. All devatas reside within Him and are controlled by Him. So He alone should be worshipped, none else.

Atharvaveda 10.7.38
Ishwar alone is greatest and worth being worshipped. He is the source of all knowledge and activities

Sanatan dharma has one god, with many manifestations of one god-FACT!!
Reply 193
Women and Caste- Talk about opposite sides of the spectrum. Women were treated as animals in terms of importance

FALSEHOOD, LET US SEE FACTS:

Hindu gods and goddesses personify manifestations of Hindu religious concepts and nature. Interestingly, Hindu goddesses, rather than gods, are most often used to represent abstract fundamental principles such as power, strength, education, and wealth as well as important natural phenomena such as the mountains, the dawn, the earth, and the rivers. For example, Hinduism personifies divine strength and power in the form of a female figure referred to as Shakti. Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning, Music and Fine Arts, is portrayed as a female in Hindu texts and paintings. Likewise, Lakshmi is the Goddess of Wealth, a female personification

now basic questioning would be why would hinduism allow Females forms of the manifestation of one god if it was not equal, because it is for gender equality simples!!
lets have some form -Sati:

Hindu practices such as Sati, the expectation of a wife to throw herself on her husband's funeral pyre at his ceremonial cremation, were not known in the Vedic period. The ancient Hindu scripture the Rig Veda states, "Rise up woman, thou art lying by one whose life is gone, come to the world of the living, away from thy husband, and become the wife of him who holds thy hand and is willing to marry thee." This passage makes it clear that at a husband's death a wife is not expected to perform Sati, as was instituted by many Hindu cultures centuries after the Vedic period.

Fact -NO SATI
Now some more verses:

Atharva 11.5.18

In this mantra of Brahmcharya Sukta, it is emphasized that girls too should train themselves as students and only then enter into married life. The Sukta specifically emphasizes that girls should receive the same level of training as boys.

Atharva 14.1.20

Oh wife! Give us discourse of knowledge

Yajurveda 5.10: O woman, you are a lioness. Destroy the enemies of ignorance, immaturity, negativity and savagery for welfare of all. O woman, you are a lioness. Destroy the enemies of ignorance, immaturity, negativity and savagery for purity of all. O woman, you are a lioness. Destroy the enemies of ignorance, immaturity, negativity and savagery for happiness of all.

Rigveda 10.159.4: My husband has performed exemplary acts of selflessness. I have also conducted similar selfless acts of bravery. Since I am completely selfless and powerful, I have no enemies

Is the picture forming yet, if u need more let me know
Reply 194
Now for this caste stuff, there is no higher nor lower caste, in fact there is no birth based caste which encourages inequality scriptures:

In The Bhagawad Gita, sloka 20, Chapter 10, Lord Krishna says,

"I am the Self seated in the heart of all creatures. I am the beginning, the middle and the very end of all beings". All beings have, therefore to be treated alike.

note All creatures, no exclusion a prime directive in sanatn dharma

Yajurved 26.2:
The way I gave this knowledge of Vedas for benefit of all humans, similarly you all also propagate the same for benefit of Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Shudras, Vaishyas, Women and even most downtrodden. The scholars and the wealthy people should ensure that they not deviate from this message of mine.

Atharvaved 19.32.8:
O Lord! May I be loved by everyone Brahmin, Kshatriya, Shudra or Vaishya. May I be admired by everyone.

Simple enough, as this so called caste is all about differnt jobs in society, other wise how does society function, lets have some more:

Higher caste/lower caste and untouchability are in direct contradiction to 12 other richas of Vedas viz. RV (VIII.93.13), RV (X.191), Atharveda III.30 and VII.54 (or VII.52) and Yujurveda (26.02) and (36.1. Unity in diversity is famous Indian motto.

Cows of different colours like black, red and spotted ones give white milk (RV VIII.93.13) is a metaphor used in Vedas for diversity yielding to unity.

HH Wilson translates (X.191.2): “Meet together, talk together, let your minds apprehend alike: in like manner as the ancient gods concurring accepted their portion of the sacrifice.” RV (X.191.3) “Common be the prayer of these (assembled worshippers), common be the acquirement, common the purpose, associated be the desire. I repeat for you a common prayer, I offer for you a common oblation.” RV (X.191.4) “Common (worshippers), be your intention; common be (the wishes of) your heart; common be your thoughts, so that there may be thorough union among you.”

Lord Rama visited Shabri, called her a mother (mata); ate food from her hands and washed feet of Nisadraj. Lord Rama lived for years among vanvasi (tribals). So the second lesson of Ramayana is that a true Rambhakta should never discriminate against SC/ST/Dalit Hindus, should never hesitate to visit and dine with them. Mahatma Gandhi always followed both these two lessons of Ramayana.

Thus, the central command of the 14 harmony richas and 10 profession not hereditary richas of Vedas is that all Hindus are totally equal by birth, of one bunch, share same water and food, worship together united in same temple, common are prayers, common purpose, common thoughts, united like spokes of a wheel, common oblation and friendly towards each others.

One becomes a warrior (Rajnya), Brahman (educated ones) or rishi, not by birth but by his efforts/training (karma) vide RV (X.125.5). No one is superior and no one is inferior by birth

There is only one caste HUMAN, but we each have different functions or jobs, but there is dignity of labour, if any discrimination no MOKSHA= going to heaven so to speak, main mission for Hindiu faith -SIMPLES!!
Reply 195
Rigveda 1.117.21
The King and minister should sow seeds and do farming from time to time to set right examples for Arya. This makes them deserving of praise.

Rigveda 8.22.6 echoes the same sentiment.

Rigveda 4.57.4 states that the king should hold the plough and start the farming during beginning of season. He should also ensure healthy cows for milk.

Thus it is evident that not only Vedas contain description of various kinds of skills and technology, but also glorify the dignity of labor.

It is a baseless allegation that Vedas demean those involved in labor-oriented tasks.

On contrary, Vedas affirm highest Dignity of Labor. In next article, we shall discuss about Vedas and Caste System.

Apologies for takingup space, but clear falsehoods on Sanatan dharma was stated and facts needed stating
Sikh faith shows wonderful examples to humanity, and have great regard for the gurujis and their sacrifices
Original post by dogra
Apologies for takingup space, but clear falsehoods on Sanatan dharma was stated and facts needed stating
Sikh faith shows wonderful examples to humanity, and have great regard for the gurujis and their sacrifices

dogra m8 this thread has nothing against any Sanatan Dharm or Hinduism. We Sikhs just do not like being told that we came from Hinduism or are a branch of it. You know me on hindu-sikh.com, I have nothing against Hinduism I just stick up for my own and try to portay the facts.
come on people!! Lets start a new topic, here the question:

Sikhs as a race and religion are in all kinds of trouble back home. Yeah, people come to you and say "hey, Panjab is great, everyone's enjoying life back home in India, why do you western Sikhs keep moaning". This is a blatant lie.

Very few countries, if only one, house 4th class citizens. I bet your thinking, "what's this tit on about, there is not 4th class". Come to India and speak to Sikhs, we are the 4th class.

Singhs are getting the death penalty. The Akal Takht Sahib has no power or importance like you used to. The Akali's under Badal under Congress influence have left Panjab in tatters. The Dastaar's of Singhs are getting whipped off for fun by Panjab police. The drug problem in Panjab is very severe. The RSS are hardly declining in their abiity to attack Sikhism amongst other religions. All this is happening, yet there is supposed to be a Sikh PM?

Finally, this is arguably the last straw. I can account of 5 convicitions for the Delhi Massacre, where hunders of thousands of Sikhs were killed. The Panjab Police, who sought out Amritdhari, just normal Singhs of the Khalsa, loved India, hated Singh Sahib Jarnail Singh, yes even they were killed in fake encounters. I will put this again. Sikhs lost between 250,000 and 1 million from 1984-1996. This is 1-4% of our population. For us, with our measley 24 million, this is a huge proportion. The number of convictions are very meagre. Where will the justice come from?

Supporting India the cricket team, I have no problem with. But saying that India is a great country, I love the culture, well this is where I worry. I will tell you one story. If you was a Singh, living in the Panjab in the 1980's, here what would happen. You walk on the street, the police picks u up 99.9% of times, ask you "are you a Bhindranwale supporter, where are you hiding the terrorists?" You say, "i have no clue, I'm not a terrorist". You are arrested 99.99% chance of this. You are taken to the police station. Here is the systematic torture, with following methods.

-You are cut with sharp objects, and have chilli put in the bleeding wounds
-You have long iron bars smashed and pushed down and around your legs, leaving the leg below the knee pushed back behind your knee
-You have hot water put all over, you are tied upside down against steel bars
-Just to make sure you don't think you have it easy. You have a electricuting machine attached to your penis. You are electrecuted to the extent where you penis is enable to produce sperm, thus leaving you unable to reproduce in the future. As a man, I would be deeply embrassed and humiliated by this act, and that not even considering the pain.

Is this the India we still love>

Khalistan? Staying in India? What is the solution? If not Khalistan, why not? There is more chance of me emigrating to Mars and starting a business, then there is of rescuing the pride and respect for Sikhs, which has been snapped away.

I put my feelings clear here. You put an India flag in my face, I will spit it on in, burn it, wont flinch at all. I will say today. If it wasn't for my religious and family ties to the Panjab, I would denounce India today, and quit all association with it. This is how I feel, how do you?

So, come on guys, lets open this up, how do we get out of this hole?
Reply 198
Guys there are two fools of RSS, Hinduvta whom claim to be Ateists but are not actually questioning Sikhi for the reason of learning but to distort it to their own selfish needs. IGNORE them and concentrate on anybody but that Chrizno [sp] and Amit2 the Hindu ****.
Reply 199
Original post by Singh993
sad to see arguments going on in an online sikh-soc....

It's not sad, the saddos are the same two ********s Chrizino, Amit2 who can be found in ANY Sikh threads created, going over the same old **** over and over and over like the cretins they are.

Always trying to make out Sikhism is Hindusim etc. Hindus claim the Kaaba is Shiv-Mandir [it was once, it was a host to thousands of Idols of many people] They claim the Moon Crest used in Islam is the same crest upon the head of Shiva....

they then go onto claim well all Religions are part of Hinduism, many exmples can be found on the net. The black stone is apparently Shiva Lingum stone...786 is Om in numerical terms At the end of the day, there is only one God and different paths, so what does it matter I guess. But it's wrong to just say it's all one religion only so sod the rest etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending