The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheALevelStudent
The problem Sikhs have is with the government and the system, not with the people or the sports teams.

Edit: Now on page 300!! 💪🏼💪🏼

National sports team represents a country, just like the national flag and government represent a country. By Sikh's supporting a national team which represents a system/government that in logic wants to finish Sikhi to me makes no sense. Would you ever see a Palestinian in Israel supporting the Israel national team?
Original post by muzi123
Hi i have a question

Can u convert to Sikism? if yes

but does the religion seek converts like u should go and preach to everyone about Sikhism or is it just if you want to convert u can .

For a conversion to take place, there must be a religion to convert to. By definition of the word religon, sikhi is not a religon. Sikhi is a lifestyle which can be adopted by anyone. The lifestyle involves three main principles of meditation on gods name, sharing whatever you have with others, and living an honest living. These are accompanied by having virtues of truth, contentment, compassion, righteousness and patience. Things a Sikh must avoid are anger, attachment, lust, desire and ego. To live in accordance to these principles would make one a Sikh, however this is just the very basic level.

To become an initiated Sikh, often referred to as the Khalsa, one must be baptised. With this baptism comes a whole new perspective. Now a Sikh must a abide to the Sikh code of conduct (rehat maryada), which involves reading a minimum of 7 prayers every day, wearing the 5 k's all the time, and never eating meat, having tobacco, cutting their hair or committing adultery.

Sikhi doesn't beleive in this idea of telling people if they aren't Sikh they will go to hell like all other religions do. Before telling others what to do or not do, we beleive we first need to be enlightened enough, as who are we to tell someone something? As a Sikh will always remain humble, and free from ego, they will never reach the stage where they can say 'I am going to tell other people what to do.' Instead, as Sikhs, we go out and discuss spirituality with anyone who wants to speak to us. Never have we said to anyone they should become a Sikh. We share our ideology and principles, and if they like it, with gods grace they will become a Sikh of their own accord. Not everyone we speak to becomes a Sikh, however near enough everyone cannot fault the principles and ideology.

A YouTube channel by the name of BasicsOfSikhi has a section called 'Street Parchaar' which translates to street preaching. If you go on it you can find videos of these interactions they have with all types of people whilst on the street, as well the discussions they have had.

Hope this has answered your question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by H1ace
National sports team represents a country, just like the national flag and government represent a country. By Sikh's supporting a national team which represents a system/government that in logic wants to finish Sikhi to me makes no sense. Would you ever see a Palestinian in Israel supporting the Israel national team?

Does a team represent the government or the people of the country? The players of that team have no affiliation to the government, they play because of the love they have for the game. India is the land of our Gurus and Shaheeds, it is holy ground for us Sikhs. If a team is representing that land, then there is nothing wrong with supporting it.
Original post by H1ace
I don't get why so many Sikhs still massively support India in world cups etc. They are the ones who caused 1984, don't consider Sikhs as a separate religion, suppress Sikhs, support Beadbi of SGGS etc. But still so many Sikhs happily support them.

You seem to blame the Indian people for your troubles. Let me just clarify no normal Indian would ever suppot Beadbi of SGGS, seems like your suggesting Indian people including sports players actually support that..
(edited 8 years ago)

guessing i'm the first one to reply VERY WELL THANK JU (see what I did there!!)

ne ju think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
@KaurNav @cupcakes87 @rajneetk @TheALevelStudent @CleverSquirrel @BrokenLife @nucdev @asif007

.......................... KIDDDAAA peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps ?!?!?! :biggrin: :smile: :bhangra::bumps:
:bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra:
Original post by raman_17
guessing i'm the first one to reply VERY WELL THANK JU (see what I did there!!)

ne ju think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

looool you are and i do! :;D :lol:

how are your holidays going? :smile:

@KaurNav @cupcakes87 @rajneetk @TheALevelStudent @CleverSquirrel @BrokenLife @nucdev @asif007

.......................... KIDDDAAA peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps ?!?!?! :biggrin: :smile: :bhangra::bumps:
:bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra: :bhangra:

lmao! fab! :biggrin:

All good!

:bhangra::bhangra:

But...

Revision has ruined my life and I can't get the hang of it for now. :frown:

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How ju doing????? 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Long time, no gup shap!!! 😁😁😁😁😁🤓🤓😝😝😜
Original post by cupcakes87
looool you are and i do! :;D :lol:

how are your holidays going? :smile:

lmao! fab! :biggrin:

holidays...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the holidays are relaxing as well as tiring veeerrryy tiring ....... now just little notes still left to finish :biggrin: what about yourself what do ju think of the holidays soooo far??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
holidays...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the holidays are relaxing as well as tiring veeerrryy tiring ....... now just little notes still left to finish :biggrin: what about yourself what do ju think of the holidays soooo far??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i need to go over my notes! :bawling: i actually didnt get tired these holidays lol! shows how much work ive done! :rofl: my holidays are over tomorrow :cry: i dont wanna go back to uni! i love home soo much! :cry:
i need to go over my notes! :bawling: i actually didnt get tired these holidays lol! shows how much work ive done! :rofl: my holidays are over tomorrow :cry: i dont wanna go back to uni! i love home soo much! :cry:

oh unlucky then my holidays end next week :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

i'm tryna work as hard as i can these holidays hanna??
Original post by BrokenLife
All good!

:bhangra::bhangra:

But...

Revision has ruined my life and I can't get the hang of it for now. :frown:

don't worry you should be alllllllllllllll fine :biggrin:

:bhangra::bhangra: just do the moves and everything should come to you :biggrin:
Original post by KaurNav
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How ju doing????? 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Long time, no gup shap!!! 😁😁😁😁😁🤓🤓😝😝😜

kiddddddddddddda im berry good thank you ji, how are you and any new gup shap :rofl2::rofl3::rofl:

Theek thaak mere bhai!
And you?
oh unlucky then my holidays end next week :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

i'm tryna work as hard as i can these holidays hanna??

ikr! you lucky lot! i only got a week with my siblings :cry2:

yuss you doo!!! dil laga keh parhai kar! :tongue:
ikr! you lucky lot! i only got a week with my siblings :cry2:

yuss you doo!!! dil laga keh parhai kar! :tongue:

hanji teekya fir :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by nucdev
Theek thaak mere bhai!
And you?

brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Calm down bhai!
Looks like you've had a few kilos of dahi like @rajneetk :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending