The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Ornlu
Can you reference that, please; I believe it's a ruling by the Akaal Takht, whom many (including myself) consider largely defunct. If Guru Gobind Singh did say that, I would strongly disagree with him.

Marriage shall be between two Sikhs in Gurdwara. When you get married in front of Guru Granth Sahib, the marriage is between Groom, Bride, and Guru Granth Sahib meaning couple will live rest of their life in accordance with Guru Granth Sahib. Having said that 99.9% people who get married in Gurdwara do not live by their promise.
Reply 1581
Original post by Nalwa
So it is more complicated than I thought. If you are planning to get married this summer you should have had day and place picked by now because of Gurdwara and halls availability. If your relatives (other than aunt and grandma) don't show up, who will take you dad's place for Milni (meet and greet), ardas (where only girl and guys parents stand up), palla (where girl's dad gives her hand to the guy). I am sorry if all this stuff stresses you out but its better to prepare ahead :s-smilie:.

This is embarrassing to admit, but I've never even been to a Sikh wedding before and so have no idea what it is like or what I'm going to have to do. That all sounds very complicated :s-smilie: I have a close friend I've known for a long time and is it against the rules to use her mother and father as my own parents (assuming mine don't show up)? We're really close, almost like sisters and her parents do treat me like a daughter :colondollar: But the family is not Sikh, so I don't know if it'd cause problems.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1582
Original post by okapobcfc08
Far be it for me to put a dampener on things but I take it you do know that only two sikhs can partake in the anand karaj ceremony as per the orders of the king of kings, the great 10th master.

Sat Sri Akal yaar, asi bhi Sikh (I am a Sikh too) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1583
Original post by cupcakes87
What up rep!!!

Thank you
That makes me feel good
Ibdo read path and now I will use the link you have given me

You're welcome!! :smile:

You can read Guru Granth Sahib ji, ask questions and then we will all learn together :biggrin:

Oh, and I repped you back :wink:
Original post by Nalwa
Marriage shall be between two Sikhs in Gurdwara. When you get married in front of Guru Granth Sahib, the marriage is between Groom, Bride, and Guru Granth Sahib meaning couple will live rest of their life in accordance with Guru Granth Sahib. Having said that 99.9% people who get married in Gurdwara do not live by their promise.

but surely if someone from another faith does profess a desire to live by the rules of Guru Granth (please show me the part which says Sikhs must wed sikhs) it should be ok. It's described as bride and groom, never "sikh and sikh"

I see the akal takhat and weak and corrupt. Many of the rules they pass are mainly for political power. They dont seem to sympathize with the sikhs that live in the west and in general im not a fan of them. Despite being leaders of our panth they're not doing a very good job.
Reply 1585
Original post by Noor90
This is embarrassing to admit, but I've never even been to a Sikh wedding before and so have no idea what it is like or what I'm going to have to do. That all sounds very complicated :s-smilie: I have a close friend I've known for a long time and is it against the rules to use her mother and father as my own parents (assuming mine don't show up)? We're really close, almost like sisters and her parents do treat me like a daughter :colondollar: But the family is not Sikh, so I don't know if it'd cause problems.

That will be perfectly fine. I can do Milni as your brother :colondollar: considering your husband has a brother.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1586
Original post by Proud_Student
Question to sikhs here, how important do you see taking Amrit in your life.

I have come across two types of Sikhs:

1) Those who believe that you can't be a Sikh unless you take Amrit.

2) Those who respect Amrit but say you can be a Sikh without taking it.

The answers you will get depend which group the person responding would fall into. I am in the second group, I respect Amrit and think it is important and I would love to take Amrit one day (I think every Sikh should aspire towards it), but it is not the be all end all of Sikhi. I think you can be a Sikh ( a 'good' Sikh) without ever taking Amrit in your life.

According to Guru Granth Sahib ji,

"The Shabad alone is Ambrosial Nectar; O Nanak, the Gurmukhs obtain it."

So before taking the Amrit from the hands of the Panj Pyare, a Sikh should fully drink in the Amrit/Ambrosial Nectar of the Guru's Shabad (in Guru Granth Sahib ji) :smile:

So I think Amrit is important, I'd like to take it one day (if my situation allows it), but NOT taking it doesn't make you a 'bad' Sikh :smile:
Reply 1587
Original post by Nalwa
That will be perfectly fine. I can do Milni as your brother :colondollar: considering your husband has a brother.

Hahaha that would be great, thank you! :smile: We should invite all the Sikhs (and anyone else who may want to come) on TSR :biggrin:
Reply 1588
but surely if someone from another faith does profess a desire to live by the rules of Guru Granth (please show me the part which says Sikhs must wed sikhs) it should be ok. It's described as bride and groom, never "sikh and sikh"

I see the akal takhat and weak and corrupt. Many of the rules they pass are mainly for political power. They dont seem to sympathize with the sikhs that live in the west and in general im not a fan of them. Despite being leaders of our panth they're not doing a very good job.

I agree when it comes to Jathedars and SGPC they are corrupt and have no back bone to stand against political pressure. Their priority is to make their masters happy, not chardi kala of Sikh panth. I have not read this myself however I have heard this in a speech by Professor Darshan Singh.
Reply 1589
Original post by Noor90
Hahaha that would be great, thank you! :smile: We should invite all the Sikhs (and anyone else who may want to come) on TSR :biggrin:

Ok let me know they place and date so I could book a Greyhound :P
Original post by Noor90

I'm gatecrashing your wedding :colone: then ill probably be the person who sits at the back eating and then going " ohh my stomach" I wanna see Auntie Noor marry her love :biggrin:

and thats a nice view, i was just curious to see what the stances of sikhs were on this forum regarding Amrit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1591
Original post by Ornlu
Can you reference that, please; I believe it's a ruling by the Akaal Takht, whom many (including myself) consider largely defunct. If Guru Gobind Singh did say that, I would strongly disagree with him.

Why? The Anand Karaj only really makes sense in the context of two Amritdhari Sikhs, the Laavan detail the stages of development in the Guru and God orientated life (which is the purpose of marriage for Sikhs).
Reply 1592
Question to sikhs here, how important do you see taking Amrit in your life.

To take Amrit is the first rehat given by Guru Gobind Singh, and the Guru themselves knelt down and asked for Amrit, which shows how important it is. It's really just the initiation into the school!
Reply 1593
Original post by P.Kaur
To take Amrit is the first rehat given by Guru Gobind Singh, and the Guru themselves knelt down and asked for Amrit, which shows how important it is. It's really just the initiation into the school!

I've always thought of it as a Graduation Certificate :s-smilie:
Reply 1594
Original post by Noor90
I've always thought of it as a Graduation Certificate :s-smilie:

Lol it's really the starting point from which spiritual development can take place. Although one should be learned and dedicated going into it of course.

prathham rehith yehi jaan kha(n)ddae kee paahul shhakae ||asoee si(n)gh pradhhaan avar n paahul jo leae ||
To drink the Ambrosial Nectar of the Khanda (Amrit) is the primary instruction for the Sikh. He who abandons all other initiations is truly a great Sikh.
- Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

sur nar mun jan a(n)mrith khojadhae s a(n)mrith gur thae paaeiaa ||
The angelic beings and the silent sages search for the Ambrosial Nectar; this Amrit is obtained from the Guru.
Reply 1595
Original post by P.Kaur
Lol it's really the starting point from which spiritual development can take place. Although one should be learned and dedicated going into it of course.

prathham rehith yehi jaan kha(n)ddae kee paahul shhakae ||asoee si(n)gh pradhhaan avar n paahul jo leae ||
To drink the Ambrosial Nectar of the Khanda (Amrit) is the primary instruction for the Sikh. He who abandons all other initiations is truly a great Sikh.
- Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

I understand your reasoning, I also think Amrit is very important and Sikhs should work towards taking it.

But I think a person should only take Amrit after they are sure Sikhi is for them and they apply the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib ji in their life. Imo, one becomes a Gurmukh and then takes Amrit, not the other way around.

Spiritual development starts taking place when a person starts searching for 'God' (whatever they consider God to be). Guru Granth Sahib ji says: "So search in your heart - look deep into your heart of hearts; this is the home and the place where God lives."

I always thought spiritual development started when a person searched their heart for God.

sur nar mun jan a(n)mrith khojadhae s a(n)mrith gur thae paaeiaa ||
The angelic beings and the silent sages search for the Ambrosial Nectar; this Amrit is obtained from the Guru.

I agree. But what is the Guru, and what is this "Amrit" the line talks about?

According to Guru Granth Sahib ji,

"The Word, the Bani is Guru, and Guru is the Bani. Within the Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained."

The Bani/Shabad is the Guru (teacher) and the Amrit/Ambrosial Nectar is in the Bani. So wouldn't it be better to take Amrit from Guru Granth Sahib ji and apply Gurmat values in our lives before becoming Baptized into the Khalsa Panth?
Original post by Ornlu

No human can call himself Sikh and think he has the ego, morality or power to disagree with the king of kings, the great 10th master
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nalwa
not read this myself however I have heard this in a speech by Professor Darshan Singh.

Forget that tosser guru nindak darshan rag
Original post by Noor90

Sat Sri Akal yaar, asi bhi Sikh (I am a Sikh too) :smile:

All good then
Reply 1599
Original post by okapobcfc08
No human can call himself Sikh and think he has the ego, morality or power to disagree with the king of kings, the great 10th master

I think the issue is whether Guru Gobind Singh ji actually said it or not.

I can definitely udnerstand the reasoning behind an Amritdhari marrying another Amritdhari (and I would not be surprised if Guru ji had actually stated that an Amritdhari's spouse should also be Amritdhari), but we are talking about Sikhs who have not been initiated into the Khalsa Panth.

Someone who does Anand Karaj and does laars (walks) around Guru Granth Sahib ji is making a promise that they will live their life in accordance with the philosophy of Sikhi.

But are the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib ji only applicable to Sikhs? Sikhism is not exclusive and the teachings in Guru Granth Sahib ji can be applied by people from all walks of life, there are no rituals that make somebody a Sikh, only your actions and attitude in life.

I agree that it is more convenient to marry someone from the same religious background, but if you meet a non-Sikh who has respect for the Gurus and Sikh philosophy and is willing to apply the teachings in their life, is it really worse than marrying someone who calls themself a "Sikh" but has no regard for Guru Granth Sahib ji (like a lot of "Sikhs" out there today)?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending