The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Going to need a good result tomorrow

In other news, Sundarlands match :adore:
Sunderland are looking quite the team under MON. This young McClean guy looks to have great potential. Sessegnon is such a quality player, they'll struggle to keep hold of him
Michael Owen is 7/4 to score against his old club in 90 minutes tomorrow with Skybet! Sense, this makes none.
Reply 5983
Original post by IanDangerously
Michael Owen is 7/4 to score against his old club in 90 minutes tomorrow with Skybet! Sense, this makes none.

Isn't he still out injured? Wouldn't be a bad option having him available, especially towards the end of games when we're really pushing for a goal.

3 points tomorrow is essential now, give us some momentum going into the FA cup tie as well.
Original post by VQG
Isn't he still out injured? Wouldn't be a bad option having him available, especially towards the end of games when we're really pushing for a goal.

3 points tomorrow is essential now, give us some momentum going into the FA cup tie as well.

Yeah he's still injured, no return date yet. Cleverley is also on that list of scorers you can bet on so I think Sky Bet just dont pay any attention to what they write.

We'll get 3 points tomorrow! :biggrin:
Gareth Barry suspended for the bittters in our FA Cup tie this weekend
Hoping on 2 fit CBs so we can see Ando+Carrick in.

Man City's 3-0 romping isn't good for the goal difference either ffs.
Original post by rickjames
Hoping on 2 fit CBs so we can see Ando+Carrick in.

Man City's 3-0 romping isn't good for the goal difference either ffs.

Evans, Rio and Fryers are all fit with Chris Smalling possibly being available as well.

Much rather have Carrick and Giggs in the middle, which is most likely what we are going to see.
Reply 5988
I'd go for Giggs and Carrick as well, they both complement each other quite well. To be honest I'm pretty excited to see the possible combination of Cleverly and Carrick when Cleverly's back.

Might be similar 06/07 Carrick and Scholes when at times they took the piss out of other teams with their passing and possession play. Add in Jones energy, drive and directness for when we need 3, our midfield woes could be sorted. However knowing our luck with injuries, it's highly unlikely we'll see all 3 play together.
Evans, Rio and Fryers are all fit with Chris Smalling possibly being available as well.

Much rather have Carrick and Giggs in the middle, which is most likely what we are going to see.

Ah yes, I forgot Giggs is well rested at this point. However if we have 3 fit CBs I would like to see Jones & Carrick in midfield with Giggs comming on in the 2nd half, no?

Do you think Jones has found a new position in midfield he should cement, or do you feel he is still a CB. I reckon his skill-set is best applied in the centre of the park, reminds me of a young Keane at times if thats not saying too much.
Original post by VQG
I'd go for Giggs and Carrick as well, they both complement each other quite well. To be honest I'm pretty excited to see the possible combination of Cleverly and Carrick when Cleverly's back.

Might be similar 06/07 Carrick and Scholes when at times they took the piss out of other teams with their passing and possession play. Add in Jones energy, drive and directness for when we need 3, our midfield woes could be sorted. However knowing our luck with injuries, it's highly unlikely we'll see all 3 play together.

The Carrick/Scholes combination that season was immense. Everyone raves about the continental double winning season of 07/08 but our best team football of the decade was easily that 06/07 team. Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick and Giggs across the middle of the pitch, Rooney and Saha/Larsson up top. Played some mesmerising and gorgeous on the eye football. The following year, wonderful as it was, was the Ronaldo show.

Original post by rickjames
Ah yes, I forgot Giggs is well rested at this point. However if we have 3 fit CBs I would like to see Jones & Carrick in midfield with Giggs comming on in the 2nd half, no?

Do you think Jones has found a new position in midfield he should cement, or do you feel he is still a CB. I reckon his skill-set is best applied in the centre of the park, reminds me of a young Keane at times if thats not saying too much.

Unless I'm imagining things, isn't Phil Jones out injured at the moment? I think Jones is still at an age where we can't be sure where his best position is and how he develops over the next couple of seasons will be crucial to where he ends up in the long run. I like him in the midfield personally. I think he's a good centre back but he has a tendency to bomb too far forwards and then leave whoever's next to him in the back four having to do twice the work. In midfield he can roam from box to box quite happily.

We'll probably look like this tomorrow .....

--------------------------Lindegaard----------------------
-----Rafael--------Ferdinand-----Evans-----Evra------
-----Valencia-------Carrick-----Giggs----------Nani--
--------------------Rooney--------Berbatov-------------
Reply 5991
The Carrick/Scholes combination that season was immense. Everyone raves about the continental double winning season of 07/08 but our best team football of the decade was easily that 06/07 team. Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick and Giggs across the middle of the pitch, Rooney and Saha/Larsson up top. Played some mesmerising and gorgeous on the eye football. The following year, wonderful as it was, was the Ronaldo show.

Unless I'm imagining things, isn't Phil Jones out injured at the moment? I think Jones is still at an age where we can't be sure where his best position is and how he develops over the next couple of seasons will be crucial to where he ends up in the long run. I like him in the midfield personally. I think he's a good centre back but he has a tendency to bomb too far forwards and then leave whoever's next to him in the back four having to do twice the work. In midfield he can roam from box to box quite happily.

We'll probably look like this tomorrow .....

--------------------------Lindegaard----------------------
-----Rafael--------Ferdinand-----Evans-----Evra------
-----Valencia-------Carrick-----Giggs----------Nani--
--------------------Rooney--------Berbatov-------------

Yep I completely agree with that, we played some immense football that season. Though our all out attacking play and naivety was exposed by Milan, hence we decided to set our team up from the back in the next few seasons.

We only conceded 22 goals the following season in the league, and our champions league campaign had quite a few 1-0 wins, with Ronaldo the attacking catalyst. Rio for me was in the top 3 players in the world that season, he was magical at the back- the way him and Brown marshaled our defence in the second leg against Barca was incredible.

Jones isn't listed as injured on physioroom. Jones' best position is a tough one, he has the potential to be a great center back with experience. But the area we need strengthening is central midfield, but I don't think Jones has the technique to be truly great central midfielder. He'll always need a ball playing midfielder next to him who could dictate the tempo.

One thing I've also noticed with him in midfield is that sometimes he's quite slow to close down players, and he doesn't get behind the ball quick enough and often tries to make a tackle from the wrong side. That's one area he needs to work on imo.

I wouldn't mind him being converted into a midfielder or right back if we signed someone like Mats Hummels though- can always hope :biggrin:
Jones is fit, I think. Cant recall any problems since his appearance against Blackburn and according to this site he's not on the injury table: http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php
Original post by VQG
Yep I completely agree with that, we played some immense football that season. Though our all out attacking play and naivety was exposed by Milan, hence we decided to set our team up from the back in the next few seasons.

We only conceded 22 goals the following season in the league, and our champions league campaign had quite a few 1-0 wins, with Ronaldo the attacking catalyst. Rio for me was in the top 3 players in the world that season, he was magical at the back- the way him and Brown marshaled our defence in the second leg against Barca was incredible.

Jones isn't listed as injured on physioroom. Jones' best position is a tough one, he has the potential to be a great center back with experience. But the area we need strengthening is central midfield, but I don't think Jones has the technique to be truly great central midfielder. He'll always need a ball playing midfielder next to him who could dictate the tempo.

One thing I've also noticed with him in midfield is that sometimes he's quite slow to close down players, and he doesn't get behind the ball quick enough and often tries to make a tackle from the wrong side. That's one area he needs to work on imo.

I wouldn't mind him being converted into a midfielder or right back if we signed someone like Mats Hummels though- can always hope :biggrin:

I think the Milan games were a weird situation because we'd been playing attacking football all season, then beat them 3-2 in the first leg and went over there trying to hold that result. A lot of the tactical decisions Ferguson has made over the years in these two legged ties are somewhat perplexing to me looking back now. Our defense was gutted towards the end of that season though.

Wes Brown might never have got back into the team regularly if it wasnt for Neville and O'Shea both being out with long term injuries in the final third of 06/07. If I remember right he came back into the mix for Roma away and had an amazing performance that night. Playing with 10 men for over a hour and lost 2-1 but it didn't feel like a loss at all and of course we all know how that story ends!. :wink:

That period where we went extremely defensive in 2008/09 was absolutely tedious to watch but it was effective. With Ronaldo being out of form (and we know he didn't want to be there that year anyway) we kinda lost a lot of our attacking oomph. It felt so unnatural for a club that's very ethos is to play beautiful and eyecatching football to effectively antifootball its way to the title. We don't care of course though, winning is winning. Plenty of great moments that year: the 5-0 hammering of West Brom, a Carling Cup win, the double over City, beating Mourinho's Inter on his return to OT, that goal at the Emirates, Kiko's goal vs Villa that caused me to fall into the row in front ... and we were runnin' round Old Trafford with 18!

This year we're kind of a schizophrenic mixture of antifootball and the Matt Busby way. Maybe, just maybe, it can propel us to another title.
It's against Newcastle tonight, is it home or away?

Sort of feel footballed out at present, so much football over the festive and new year period, seems to have been more this year/season than during any other year/season....feel a bit wummed out too :colondollar:

Anyway, lets hope we close the gap once more and try to close that goal difference gap at the same time.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
It's against Newcastle tonight, is it home or away?

Sort of feel footballed out at present, so much football over the festive and new year period, seems to have been more this year/season than during any other year/season....feel a bit wummed out too :colondollar:

Anyway, lets hope we close the gap once more and try to close that goal difference gap at the same time.

Away.
Reply 5996
MON for Utd? :teeth: The start he's made at Sunderland is amazing. 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss.

Wigan 1-4 Sunderland
Sunderland 1-0 Man City
Sunderland 1-1 Everton
QPR 2-3 Sunderland
Tottenham 1-0 Sunderland
Sunderland 2-1 Blackburn
Reply 5997
Will be watching Rooney with interest tonight. We all know how his personal life affects his form, assuming the reports are true (and it looks that way) it'll be interesting to see how he responds. It looked like the start of some good goalscoring form before it happened.

Hoping for De Gea in goal, expecting Lindegaard. Jones and whoever of Rio/Smalling is more fit at CB. Rafael RB, Carrick and Giggs CM, Valencia and Nani wide. Fancy Valencia to create a lot up against Taylor. Up front is interesting, another chance for Rooney and Berbatov together? Would be extremely harsh to drop Berba even though that partnership has never really worked. Putting Hernandez up against one of Williamson/Perch must be very tempting...

Big game, 3 points is very important.
I'd go with Louis' selection, perk of starting Berba is if he is ineffective, Chica is happy to come on off the bench and do some damage, he only gets more effective as that tiring Newcastle midfield presses higher with Berba and Rooney's style.

Shame I actually really like the Valencia RB and Nani RW combo, so dangerous, Nani loves to come inside, and Valencia loves to get to the byline. Much like Evra and Young on the other side.

Latest