The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Definitely my kind of society :biggrin:

I might try and make some so its ready when I get back from my holiday, where do you guys buy all the different flavoured juices, I've never noticed pear or berry juice in the supermarket?
Reply 221
Original post by superwolf
I'd definitely recommend giving making your own a try, it tastes amazing and will make you very popular among your friends and acquaintances. :hat:

I saw that; I was wondering what you actually used. Literally just clingfilm held on with a rubber band? And what yeast?
Reply 222
Original post by GQ.
Got round to the Apple & Elderflower or Pear & Vanilla?

I'm going to start off the pear and vanilla tomorrow, along with some apple and mint (new type of copella juice, sounds a bit odd but tastes quite nice, so I've got high hopes for how it'll turn out as a cider). The elderflower I might try making next time.

Original post by duck6
Definitely my kind of society :biggrin:

I might try and make some so its ready when I get back from my holiday, where do you guys buy all the different flavoured juices, I've never noticed pear or berry juice in the supermarket?

Most big supermarkets will have at least some usable juice - so far I've just been using copella brand, which has turned out quite well so far, but today I bought some pear juice from a sort of cafe/bakery which does expensive but very nice juices. There's also a grocers near me which does different varieties of apple juice, so I might try experimenting with them some time.

I'd definitely give making your own a go, it's fun watching it fermenting away, and of course even more fun when you get to drink it.

Original post by dbmag9
I saw that; I was wondering what you actually used. Literally just clingfilm held on with a rubber band? And what yeast?

I cut out squares from a plastic bag and used them with either a rubber band or a hairband, I thought cling film might be too... clingy. :tongue: The yeast was just the ordinary dried stuff you get for baking bread, you can find it in the baking section of the supermarket. It comes in a box with little sachets of about 7g each, which is almost exactly the right amount you need for making the cider.

Really I don't think there's far you can go wrong with this recipe, as long as you roughly follow the instructions and buy decent quality juice.
Reply 223
Woop love cider, currently had the technique in the OP on the go for a day :biggrin: using Corpella

If it turn out well, I may try it with the apples from the tree in my garden. Although they are so sour it's unbelievable, might make something interesting lol
Question: How much is a 'cup' of sugar, I have several different sized cups I can use :tongue:
Reply 225
Original post by rmhumphries
Question: How much is a 'cup' of sugar, I have several different sized cups I can use :tongue:

It's a standard American cup. Measure out about 250ml of water, and that's roughly the same as a cup.
Question number two of the day, how tight does the band on the simple-lock need to be?
Reply 227
Question number two of the day, how tight does the band on the simple-lock need to be?

Not too tight, not too loose - so it'll definitely keep the plastic on, but still allow gases out.
Reply 228

If you use one of the red ones from the post, doubling it up works just fine
Reply 229
Original post by Jake9
If you use one of the red ones from the post, doubling it up works just fine

I find that stealing your sister's hairbands also works well. :ninja:
I find that stealing your sister's hairbands also works well. :ninja:

I have used one of my own hairbands at the moment, as I have long hair :tongue:
Reply 231
I have used one of my own hairbands at the moment, as I have long hair :tongue:

Only one? How many litres you making? I've got about 3.5l on the go, but then I am timing it to be ready for my sister's book club, it's always fun watching her friends get drunk. :mmm:
Reply 232
Is there anything to look out for to be sure it's going right? I'd rather not wait several days to find that nothing's happened, or that it's all gone horribly wrong for whatever reason.
Only one? How many litres you making? I've got about 3.5l on the go, but then I am timing it to be ready for my sister's book club, it's always fun watching her friends get drunk. :mmm:

1 bottle at the moment, intend to start another few tonight. Wanted to get one started fully before starting the others so I know what I am doing now :tongue:
Reply 234

I'm sure that's your only intention :tongue:
Hey guys, anyone know whether it is worth picking up Stella Artois Cidre?

I ask as I have no access to my usual Domaine Dupont Cidre Bouché :sad: so is it nice? I am used to Normandie Cidre and SA Cidre is from Belgique :s-smilie:

Oh and joining the society :smile:
Reply 236
Original post by dbmag9
Is there anything to look out for to be sure it's going right? I'd rather not wait several days to find that nothing's happened, or that it's all gone horribly wrong for whatever reason.

For the first few days there'll be a decent head of foam on top, then later it'll disappear. The cider's ready when the yeast has collected at the bottom - it'll basically just look like a layer of sludge. So far mines have mostly taken 8-10 days to be ready.

Original post by GQ.
I'm sure that's your only intention :tongue:

My intentions are always the purest, especially when it comes to cider. :angel:

Original post by tehFrance
Hey guys, anyone know whether it is worth picking up Stella Artois Cidre?

I ask as I have no access to my usual Domaine Dupont Cidre Bouché :sad: so is it nice? I am used to Normandie Cidre and SA Cidre is from Belgique :s-smilie:

Oh and joining the society :smile:

Welcome to the society. :cheers:

I think a couple of people said they'd tried the Stella Artois, from what I remember they didn't rate it though. I think it was somewhere near the start of the thread if you want to look.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 237
For the first few days there'll be a decent head of foam on top, then later it'll disappear. The cider's ready when the yeast has collected at the bottom - it'll basically just look like a layer of sludge. So far mines have mostly taken 8-10 days to be ready.

Hmm, mine has hardly foamed at all. Glad you've said it takes that long, I think the original link said something like 3 days.
Reply 238
Original post by dbmag9
Hmm, mine has hardly foamed at all. Glad you've said it takes that long, I think the original link said something like 3 days.

I wouldn't worry that it's not doing too much yet, if you've followed the recipe it should come out fine. Another way you can tell if it's doing anything is that you can smell the gases it gives off, and also if you sniff the cider itself it should start smelling like delicious cider. :drool:
Reply 239
I wouldn't worry that it's not doing too much yet, if you've followed the recipe it should come out fine. Another way you can tell if it's doing anything is that you can smell the gases it gives off, and also if you sniff the cider itself it should start smelling like delicious cider. :drool:

At the moment it smells like yeast. :p: But I shall persevere (strenuous though it may be), hopefully it'll start working properly at some point. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest