The Student Room Group

Should frequently having loose stool be checked out?

Should frequently having loose stool be checked out? Sometimes it is having loose stool 2/3 times for a day maybe like once a month, sometimes it is loose stool for a period of time (for 1-2 weeks) and sometimes it is like a 1-4 times a month. Basically, different interval and different frequency. I do feel bloated more easily, eat quite little but feel full quite easily, and feel like I have a lot of gas in my belly ~ burped a lot. [Been going on for a while with different severity in frequency]

I have spoken to the GP about my concerns, but they don't seem to care or concern, they asked me whether I have traveled to other countries (no), change diet (no), lost excessive weight (no), blood in stool (no) or belly pain(no) so they think it is just irritable bowel syndrome, didn't let me come in or do any tests.

Is this normal? Is it fine? Should I get it checked out elsewhere? What could be the cause of this? What could this be a symptom of?

I was just wondering should this type of occurrence be checked out, do some scans/tests and what kind of scans/tests? Who I should see for it?
It could be down to a large number of reasons. How long has it been going on ? If it depends on what you eat might be worth making a note of what food makes your symptoms worse . I have had similar issues never worried too much but mine is always worse in a morning and seems to improve as the day goes on don't know if this is the same for you .
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
It could be down to a large number of reasons. How long has it been going on ? If it depends on what you eat might be worth making a note of what food makes your symptoms worse . I have had similar issues never worried too much but mine is always worse in a morning and seems to improve as the day goes on don't know if this is the same for you .

It been going on for some time with different severity for a few years. It seem random cause, I eat different food every day and sometimes I have this issue for an almost everyday for a period of time, sometimes every other day. My mum is worried there may be something wrong with my digestive tact, intestine, or stomach or something like that may be causing such symptoms and/or I am not absorbing enough nutrients because of this. In the past, it used to be in the mornings, but for the last month it seem to be after I have a big meal which is around 5:30.
Just make a GP appointment and find out from them.
Original post by Anonymous
It been going on for some time with different severity for a few years. It seem random cause, I eat different food every day and sometimes I have this issue for an almost everyday for a period of time, sometimes every other day. My mum is worried there may be something wrong with my digestive tact, intestine, or stomach or something like that may be causing such symptoms and/or I am not absorbing enough nutrients because of this. In the past, it used to be in the mornings, but for the last month it seem to be after I have a big meal which is around 5:30.

It could be ibs if it's worse after a big meal , do you ever suffer from constipation which is also a symptom of ibs or it is just loose stools/diarrhoea. As I said I suffer alot with similar symptoms but it's been happening for a long time therefore I don't think it's anything serious as most foods seem to make my stools loose . On days when its really bad you could try some short term relief such as imodium. Honestly try not to worry and as already suggested best to get professional advice and go and see your GP as they will get to the bottom of it
Try not to worry probably just different foods you eat aren't agreeing with your stomach/ digestive tract . Everyone gets an upset stomach from time to time . My stools are often loose in a morning especially after eating breakfast. Does the bloating disappear after having a bowel movement ?
lol similar situation buddy
it's unfortunate but sometimes doctors dont take our concerns seriously.
over time you will understand your body and what triggers loose stool, just pay attention to what you eat and other habits.
For me its dairy, spicy foods and fast food. Perhaps oily food too. But its not consistent. And I found that taking care of my gut and not being sedentary really helps. So for me its exercise, foods like yoghurt/cabbage/fermented stuff/fibre and drinking plenty of water all help me have good digestion.

Try different things and see what works, like fasting, apple cider vinegar, ginger shots etc.

Quick Reply

Latest