The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loz17
Was it easy to do? Am really tempted to have a go me-self

Yep. Just put everything in a jar and leave it a while then drink. Easy as pie. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, the results are pretty damn good. :biggrin:
Original post by Sabertooth
Yep. Just put everything in a jar and leave it a while then drink. Easy as pie. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, the results are pretty damn good. :biggrin:

Anything needed (special pipes etc) to allow air into it to ferment properly?
I don't think I am made to make cider this way.

May have messed up half my second batch, seems the yeast may have overflowed the bottle as put too much juice/water/sugar in one bottle. ><
Original post by Loz17

I used some plastic wrap and a rubber band as described in the OP. When it was done I left a cm or so at the bottom so I wouldn't drink the yeast. You could probably use proper piping and stuff but it's worked fine for me twice just doing it this way.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:hat2:

I agree that some can be (bulmers :eviltongue:) but magners is just.. :sexface:

Iirc Wetherspoons are having a cider/real ale festival soon :biggrin:

Just checked the Wether's website, aparantly they are having a festival , started on thurs and goes on til next Sun.

To think I turned down a trip to Wether's tonight
Reply 385
Original post by Loz17

I bought a plastic tube off of ebay for about a pound, which means you can siphon out the cider and lose less when you're getting rid of the sediment, but really all you need is a few empty 2l bottles and a funnel.

Original post by rmhumphries
I don't think I am made to make cider this way.

May have messed up half my second batch, seems the yeast may have overflowed the bottle as put too much juice/water/sugar in one bottle. ><

Rmhumphries' cider, gone but not forgotten. :rip:
Original post by AlexInWonderland
Just checked the Wether's website, aparantly they are having a festival , started on thurs and goes on til next Sun.

To think I turned down a trip to Wether's tonight

It's ongoing? :gah:

Guess where I'm going tomorrow afternoon after work :awesome:
Reply 387
Mine finished fermenting the other day, doesn't taste too good unfortunately, it's a bit flavourless, I definitely used too much water. Can I use pure juice? Surely that would taste much better?
Original post by Sabertooth
I used some plastic wrap and a rubber band as described in the OP. When it was done I left a cm or so at the bottom so I wouldn't drink the yeast. You could probably use proper piping and stuff but it's worked fine for me twice just doing it this way.

Original post by superwolf
I bought a plastic tube off of ebay for about a pound, which means you can siphon out the cider and lose less when you're getting rid of the sediment, but really all you need is a few empty 2l bottles and a funnel.

:top: Thanks guys
Reply 389
Original post by Jake9
Mine finished fermenting the other day, doesn't taste too good unfortunately, it's a bit flavourless, I definitely used too much water. Can I use pure juice? Surely that would taste much better?

Did you put in the same amount of water as the recipe said? Mine's always turned out fine by following it. I imagine if you used pure juice the cider would turn out a lot stronger, because of all the extra sugar, so although I'd say it's definitely an experiment worth trying, I don't know how palatable the results will be (if it's too strong might be nice mixed with juice or lemonade though).
It's ongoing? :gah:

Guess where I'm going tomorrow afternoon after work :awesome:

Yeah, it seems so
http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/cider-festival-2011
Reply 391
I'm going to Spoons next Sat :awesome: might try and sneak an extra trip in before then too.

Hmm, I think it's time to give my cider a proper try...
I'm a Westcountry lad so cider is my drink of choice. A pint of Old Rosie if I can find it is one of my favourites or maybe some Cornish Rattler.

It's a shame there aren't as many cider varieties as beer varieties, I'm not drinking at the moment anyway so it doesn't make much difference to me right now.
Reply 393
My cider tastes better than I remembered from the quick try I did the other day! :biggrin: Fizzier than I expected too, though maybe because I added some more sugar when I swapped it to another bottle.

Think I'll try next time not leaving it so long, it smelt so good at one point, I wish it tasted like that :coma:
I mis-read the title of this thread as "The cyber Society" ... guess what's on my mind?:colone:
Reply 395
Original post by aliluvschoc
Just joined up. As a Devonian, cider is a naturally occurring part of my diet. But I have to say the very best cider is thus:

Dry, crisp, heavenly. The best I've ever had, and I've had a good few.

Good choice!! I remember the day I first had a taste of this...mainly because it was back in June on a hot day after lectures and we went to a bar in Bristol and sat outside in the sunshine and that was the only cider they did and my GOD it was good!! Nom nom nom :smile:

:hat2:

I agree that some can be (bulmers :eviltongue:) but magners is just.. :sexface:

Bulmers pear cider is gorgeous! I'm not a fan of anything with "magners" on the label :frown:
Reply 396
Original post by dobbs
Good choice!! I remember the day I first had a taste of this...mainly because it was back in June on a hot day after lectures and we went to a bar in Bristol and sat outside in the sunshine and that was the only cider they did and my GOD it was good!! Nom nom nom :smile:

Bulmers pear cider is gorgeous! I'm not a fan of anything with "magners" on the label :frown:

:five:

Tried the Bulmers Limited edition drink today at Spoons - I'm not a Bulmers fan at all but it was OK, very light, almost like white wine in some ways.

The folks behind Cornish Rattler have put out a Texan style cider, interesting taste with ginger and whatnot added. Quite nice really!

Anyone down in the West Country ought to go to the Cornish Rattler cider farm. Free samples and the history is really interesting. Great day out. They even sell flipflops with bottle openers on them :tongue:
Reply 397
:five:

Tried the Bulmers Limited edition drink today at Spoons - I'm not a Bulmers fan at all but it was OK, very light, almost like white wine in some ways.

The folks behind Cornish Rattler have put out a Texan style cider, interesting taste with ginger and whatnot added. Quite nice really!

Anyone down in the West Country ought to go to the Cornish Rattler cider farm. Free samples and the history is really interesting. Great day out. They even sell flipflops with bottle openers on them :tongue:

I went to a farm in North Somerset which has an orchard growing apples that go into Thatchers Gold (another of my favourites) but there was no tasting or anything like that :frown:

Have you been to the Bristol Cider Festival? If not you should definitely check it out, loads of 'interesting' tasting ciders (some good, some....not so good!!). I think it's in about February time. Added bonus is they have a Wurzles tribute band on! :biggrin:

Not sure if I'd like that Texan one though....ginger? Doesn't sound like it'd go with cider!
Reply 398
Original post by dobbs
I went to a farm in North Somerset which has an orchard growing apples that go into Thatchers Gold (another of my favourites) but there was no tasting or anything like that :frown:

Have you been to the Bristol Cider Festival? If not you should definitely check it out, loads of 'interesting' tasting ciders (some good, some....not so good!!). I think it's in about February time. Added bonus is they have a Wurzles tribute band on! :biggrin:

Not sure if I'd like that Texan one though....ginger? Doesn't sound like it'd go with cider!

Thatchers Gold is definitely a decent cider too! Shame you couldn't taste stuff though, that was the best bit haha.

Not been but I really need to. (The Wurzles :coma: ) :lol: The Texan one I didn't order myself for that reason, tried some though and was really surprised.
Reply 399
Thatchers Gold is definitely a decent cider too! Shame you couldn't taste stuff though, that was the best bit haha.

Not been but I really need to. (The Wurzles :coma: ) :lol: The Texan one I didn't order myself for that reason, tried some though and was really surprised.

Well the fact that I was a teacher on a school visit to the farm meant that even if tasting was available I probably wouldn't have been allowed to haha!

The tribute band is called The Mangled Wurzles, they sang "I've got a brand new combine harvester" twice, because so many people requested to hear it again haha :biggrin:

When I lived in Bristol my local pub did Thatchers Gold, I miss it so much :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest