The Student Room Group

Chemistry Internal Assessment tomorrow - help pleaseee.

We've got to write the design part in lesson tomorrow. Our task is to investigate a factor affecting ?Hreaction. It's been recommended we plan a neutralisation, displacement or precipitation experiment.
I'm drawing a blank, and just confusing myself on what to do.
Any help would be appreciated! - x
Reply 1
If by H you mean enthalpy then I would personally choose neutralisation reactions cause they are exothermic, thus you will be able to measure temperature changes much more accurately. An example of neutralisation reaction : calcium carbonate + ethanoic acid. The factors affecting a rate of reaction are : surface area, concentration, a temperature to begin with and other two factors that I cannot remember.
Reply 2
I agree with neutralisation if you are working on time - however something else would be better if you want the top marks, because neutralisations are simple, meaning there's not much room for you to show your understanding. I would do a gaseous reaction - you can talk more about how you will control variables like volume of gases, measure temperature change and Nm of gas, etc. You can talk about the gas laws (pV=nrT) and the assumptions you will be making to use the design you come up with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending