The Student Room Group

Extended project idea: an essay on liberal democratic theory

So, I'm going to start the extended project in september, and I had this idea that really ties in with my political interests. I'd like to do an essay that covers the entire liberal democratic theory - that is, that liberal democracies rarely or never go to war with one another. You may know it by something else, such as democratic peace theory, or the inter-democracy non-aggression hypothesis.

My essay would cover a large range of topics in the hypothesis, such as the original suggestion made by Immanuel Kant, explanations of why it occurs, the difficulty in the methodology of studying such a thing, ie, definitions, criticisms of the theory, what it all means, etc.

How do you think that sounds? And can anyone recommend any resources for this? Any books that would be particularly interesting to read? Just post your contributions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Well you've read the pre-release, it's allowed to be on pretty much anything you can think of.

If you think it'll get a good mark and you can find out lots about it, no reason why you shouldn't. If you really want to, you can run it buy your supervisor just to make sure. But I can't see any immediate things that will cause a problem.

EDIT: In the end you realistically need to be able to come up with some kind of conclusion or an answer to a question. So with your hypothesis in mind you'll need to be good at pulling your evidence together and write a good conclusion where you give your answer and opinions. You'll also want to evaluate the sources you use: some may be more useful than others.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending