The Student Room Group

EPQ Artefact Essay

Hi, I’m doing a project for my EPQ and I’ve reached the part where I need to write my essay. I wrote a fiction book about Fostering. Just wondering if anyone has an example essay I could see. My teachers haven’t really been helping much, and I’m quite lost on how to format and write it.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by nia_jul
Hi, I’m doing a project for my EPQ and I’ve reached the part where I need to write my essay. I wrote a fiction book about Fostering. Just wondering if anyone has an example essay I could see. My teachers haven’t really been helping much, and I’m quite lost on how to format and write it.
Thanks!

I did the 5000 word essay, so take what I am saying with a pinch of salt. BTW I did AQA, cant speak for Edexcel.

Have an introduction explaining how you got interested in the topic and what you did.

Bulk of the essay:
You should evaluate the sources like books your read, looking at their nature, origin, purpose. <--- DO a lot of this. However remember quality not quantity.
You can also talk about any problems you had and how you fixed them, e.g whether you followed your project plan or had to change it because you couldn't meet all the deadlines. Don't be afraid to admit that you had to change things with your plan, because it will get you extra marks and the exam board don't expect your plan to be perfect. Make sure you justify your changes.
AQA expects you to look at theories and concepts. You could talk about how researched cetrain theories on the pschology of foster kids, and how you used those traits and behaviours to develope your characters. You probably didn't do that but you can always fake it until you make it.

Conlusion
Evaluate the success of your artefact with your own set of success criteria. One way you could measure the success of your book is by writing it for a specific age range and then getting someone of that age to read and tell you whether they enjoyed it. Do a little conclusion then looking at whether you thought your artefact was sucessful and any changes you might have made.

AQA Artefact recommendations
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PROJECTS-TG-PPROD-5.PDF
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JaCey04
I did the 5000 word essay, so take what I am saying with a pinch of salt. BTW I did AQA, cant speak for Edexcel.

Have an introduction explaining how you got interested in the topic and what you did.

Bulk of the essay:
You should evaluate the sources like books your read, looking at their nature, origin, purpose. <--- DO a lot of this. However remember quality not quantity.
You can also talk about any problems you had and how you fixed them, e.g whether you followed your project plan or had to change it because you couldn't meet all the deadlines. Don't be afraid to admit that you had to change things with your plan, because it will get you extra marks and the exam board don't expect your plan to be perfect. Make sure you justify your changes.
AQA expects you to look at theories and concepts. You could talk about how researched cetrain theories on the pschology of foster kids, and how you used those traits and behaviours to develope your characters. You probably didn't do that but you can always fake it until you make it.

Conlusion
Evaluate the success of your artefact with your own set of success criteria. One way you could measure the success of your book is by writing it for a specific age range and then getting someone of that age to read and tell you whether they enjoyed it. Do a little conclusion then looking at whether you thought your artefact was sucessful and any changes you might have made.

AQA Artefact recommendations
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PROJECTS-TG-PPROD-5.PDF

Thank you so much! I am doing AQA so I think our mark schemes for essay and artefacts should be similar. But this was so helpful, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending