The Student Room Group

mum starving herself

Hi, well it's as the title says really. She starves herself to loose weight really quickly and shes already lost a stone and a half in just over a week and wants to loose more. I literally have no idea what to do( i think she gets off on bragging about it really). I've told her before that she could have heart failure and she just said she'll be fine, but i seriously fear that she'll just pass out at the wheel of her car and crash. I don't have an amazing relationship with her (not one to which i can tell her that im really worried for her). Noone else in my family (siblings and her partner) don't seem to really be worried/care about what she's doing, i just am really worried and have no clue on what to do to make her stop (she keeps saying i call her a fat cow all the time, to which i havnt, no seriously i havnt). I know in the past shes made herself sick to loose weight also (she didn't particularly care whether she was heard or not either), it just leads me to wonder whether she actually has an eating disorder or is doing it for attention as she does have attention seeking qualities i've noticed. Any sensible suggestions would be loved.
Reply 1
Try and have a talk with her about it? If she wants to lose weight, encourage her to do it the healthy way. Join her for exercise. Take her out on walks with you or get a gym membership done for both of you, if possible. The thing with starving is it's going to make her moody and irritable whereas exercise makes you feel better. Try and get her to appreciate this difference. Also, throw in some hard facts about what starving does. Sure, you lose weight quicker but you also put it back on and put much more back on which isn't all too appealing if you look at it in the long run. Convince her to go to the GP if possible - maybe she can get diagnosed if the situation is severe enough to be classed as an eating disorder and do talk to other family members too. She's more likely to listen if it comes from more than one source but just be careful as to not make her feel intimidated.
a stone and a half.....in a WEEK?!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, well it's as the title says really. She starves herself to loose weight really quickly and shes already lost a stone and a half in just over a week and wants to loose more. I literally have no idea what to do( i think she gets off on bragging about it really). I've told her before that she could have heart failure and she just said she'll be fine, but i seriously fear that she'll just pass out at the wheel of her car and crash. I don't have an amazing relationship with her (not one to which i can tell her that im really worried for her). Noone else in my family (siblings and her partner) don't seem to really be worried/care about what she's doing, i just am really worried and have no clue on what to do to make her stop (she keeps saying i call her a fat cow all the time, to which i havnt, no seriously i havnt). I know in the past shes made herself sick to loose weight also (she didn't particularly care whether she was heard or not either), it just leads me to wonder whether she actually has an eating disorder or is doing it for attention as she does have attention seeking qualities i've noticed. Any sensible suggestions would be loved.

I do it all the time and im fine - it's the best way to lose weight
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I do it all the time and im fine - it's the best way to lose weight

You know it's not the best way, or else you wouldn't have posted anonymously

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending