The Student Room Group

Family don’t like my gf what to do

I invited my gf round for the first time to meet my family. I did not introduce her specifically as my girlfriend but just asked my family if I could invite a girl to stay round for the Christmas holidays so it’s pretty safe to assume they know it’s my girlfriend but we never spoke about it.

My girlfriend is extremely shy, she gets anxiety and is extremely introverted and doesn’t talk much. Very quiet.

When I invited her round and she met my parents and siblings she was so shy she didn’t speak to them, and whenever they spoke to her she just smiled and didn’t respond. Of course this was a result of her being shy and anxious. But my family found it very rude.

Even I must admit it came off extremely rude, it really looked like she was ignoring them, she would even walk out of the room whenever my parents or siblings came. E.g. my sister was talking to her and she just walked off mid conversation. I asked why she did that and she said she didn’t know what to say.

My gf is amazing to me, she talks a lot to me, and treats me really well. But I must admit she looked extremely rude and my mum said she doesn’t like her and doesn’t want her in our home anymore and to tell her to leave, also my sister said she doesn’t like her either. My mum said she’s not welcome round our house ever again and told me they don’t want me seeing her again.

I tried to explain how shy she was to my parents and it wasn’t her being rude it’s just her anxiety and shyness but my parents said no, she should still make the effort to at least say hello and thank you rather than ignore them.

I spoke with my gf about it and asked if she can today thanks for having me over to my parents and offer them help around the house but she said no. My gf said she feels really uncomfortable around my family and has no interest to talk to them so doesn’t want to interact with them.

My family were very nice to her, even cooked for her and washed her clothes etc.

I’m not sure what to do
You need to decide whether your family’s opinion on this matter is important.

They’re not willing to accommodate social anxiety and your GF understandably doesn’t want to put herself in that position again.

Sometimes with the best will in the world things won’t click with your family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending