The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Open University

For people that study at Open University, are they looked down on? Is the university considered a waste of time in comparison to other universities, I seem to get that impression, it seems to just scream embarrassment to say that you studied there... :/
Reply 1
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
This thread again.

Did you not go to the OU forum and see that it already exists?
Reply 3
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jan/03/open-university-students-younger

"The Open University has been ranked the first or second university for student satisfaction in the last four years of the National Student Survey"

Is there any reason for students to feel embarrassment?
Reply 4
Original post by Rawr101
For people that study at Open University, are they looked down on? Is the university considered a waste of time in comparison to other universities, I seem to get that impression, it seems to just scream embarrassment to say that you studied there... :/

Not at all? Why would there be embarrassment?

When it was first established in the 1960s I believe there were some snears from certain sectors, scepitcal of the possibility of an "open"university - somewhere a person, even those without previous qualifications, can study and again a degree., But they have been proven incorrect and it maintains high standards of teaching, very respectable research in some areas, and satisfied students.

OU study usually brings unique rewards and challenges (time management, fitting study alongside work issues or health problems, motivation) and these are recognised by employers.
Reply 5
There's nothing embarrassing about extending your learning and gaining extra qualifications/a degree.

Thousands of people study with the OU and many of them successfully complete their degree and have no less of a chance at graduate jobs or a good job afterwards than someone who has studied at a "brick Uni".

In fact, it shows maturity to employers especially if you have managed to hold down a degree AND work at the same time. In that sense, you get the best of both worlds; a good education AND work experience, so I don't see why anyone in that position would feel embarrassed!

If people do see it as an embarrassment, that's their choice, but in reality, it's only their ignorance that is embarrassing.

Quick Reply

Latest