The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Media and Cultural Studies MA

Hey! I'm currently a second-year and I'm studying English Literature and Linguistics at the University of Bucharest in Romania.
I really really want to work in the music industry one day. So I was thinking about this course, but I have read many threads around here that say "Stay away from such degrees!"
Before telling me this, I would like to add that I can barely find any work placement/volunteer work related to the music industry in Romania, so I thought that this degree would be useful.

So, what do you know about this degree and pros and cons? And what about the university itself? And can I follow a career in the music industry with this postgrad degree?
Reply 1
I applied for and got offered a place on this program, and it seems like a really solid course (though the Digital Media MA is more in line with my interests). It's definitely a theoretical course, and if you're more into the business/practical side you might want to check out BIMM. But I got the impression from visiting there was a huge music scene in Brighton/Falmer, and that the campus radio station is really solid. I can't say for sure because I haven't done the program yet, but I figure if you like literature and linguistics, and you're not just doing it to get a job, Cultural Studies is an excellent route to go.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
BIMM.... I'll check this later, as I've never heard of it. I've visited Brighton some time last year and it seemed a pretty lively place. Hm, I'll also look for other universities, but this seemed nice because of the city.
Good luck on your course and maybe you'll drop by later this year and tell me how your first weeks were. :biggrin:
Reply 3
I am unsure about this course, but can say I am studying on the Cultural Memory MA at brighton and really enjoy it. The staff are friendly and the course is well laid out. I did my BA at brighton too and did very well. The university do offer established carrer links as well for some courses.

good luck
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending