The Student Room Group

The FIFA Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

Had this game a week now, the first FIFA I've had since '08 due to selling my PS3. Got to division eight but can't defend at all...one through ball over the top seems to take apart my whole back line...anyone have any advice?
Original post by KingMessi
Had this game a week now, the first FIFA I've had since '08 due to selling my PS3. Got to division eight but can't defend at all...one through ball over the top seems to take apart my whole back line...anyone have any advice?

Don't run out with any defenders and don't slide tackle. Both create space behind you.
Original post by CB91
Don't run out with any defenders and don't slide tackle. Both create space behind you.

Oh, I don't slide tackle ever; it exposes space too much. By 'don't run out with any defenders', do you mean 'don't press the ball with your defenders and wait for them to come onto you', or 'don't dribble with your defenders'?

Thanks.
Oh, I don't slide tackle ever; it exposes space too much. By 'don't run out with any defenders', do you mean 'don't press the ball with your defenders and wait for them to come onto you', or 'don't dribble with your defenders'?

Thanks.

Don't press the ball, I probably should have been clearer.

Obviously different things work for different people, but ive found that if I slowly back off with my CB it lets the rest of my players catch up, then I can switch player and make a tackle with a DM without compromising the CB. I've found that if I try and rush forward and go for the tackle, they either go around me, pass through and into the space or on the odd occasion I make the tackle :teehee:.
The thing that improved my game most was playing games without sprinting... ever. Learning simple skill moves like the roulette or heel flick, or even just precision dribbling, are so much better than sprinting. I can't think of a single situation where you should sprint. When you hold down that right trigger/R2, you become so much easier to tackle and don't even run all that faster. Pace is still important, yes, but only agility. Acceleration and sprint speed are useless.
Original post by CB91
Don't press the ball, I probably should have been clearer.

Obviously different things work for different people, but ive found that if I slowly back off with my CB it lets the rest of my players catch up, then I can switch player and make a tackle with a DM without compromising the CB. I've found that if I try and rush forward and go for the tackle, they either go around me, pass through and into the space or on the odd occasion I make the tackle :teehee:.

Oh cool - yes, that makes sense. I usually play as Chelsea and have Terry/Luiz press, and I find that a one-two or through ball decimates my defence. I'll try that, thanks a lot. It's been frustrating as I score two+ goals a game but concede so many.
Original post by I Kant Spall
The thing that improved my game most was playing games without sprinting... ever. Learning simple skill moves like the roulette or heel flick, or even just precision dribbling, are so much better than sprinting. I can't think of a single situation where you should sprint. When you hold down that right trigger/R2, you become so much easier to tackle and don't even run all that faster. Pace is still important, yes, but only agility. Acceleration and sprint speed are useless.

Really? What about when defending? I do find that dribbling isn't all that easy when you're sprinting and it's very difficult to turn, even with someone like Robben or Messi. :s-smilie: I'll try that as well.
Oh cool - yes, that makes sense. I usually play as Chelsea and have Terry/Luiz press, and I find that a one-two or through ball decimates my defence. I'll try that, thanks a lot. It's been frustrating as I score two+ goals a game but concede so many.

I normally play as Argentina in a 4-2-3-1. I have Mascherano and Cambiasso anchoring the midfield with Messi, Lavezzi, Di Maria in AM and Aguero upfront. The crap defence sometimes makes me mad, but that midfield and attack :coma:
Original post by CB91
I normally play as Argentina in a 4-2-3-1. I have Mascherano and Cambiasso anchoring the midfield with Messi, Lavezzi, Di Maria in AM and Aguero upfront. The crap defence sometimes makes me mad, but that midfield and attack :coma:

Fair enough...I can imagine you score a fair few goals...I actually prefer playing as Argentina to playing as Spain. :colondollar: I'm going to try this whole Ultimate Team lark before I go online again, see if it's worth my time. Not familiar with it.
zzzzz @ people leaving after getting banged in the first couple minutes
Really? What about when defending? I do find that dribbling isn't all that easy when you're sprinting and it's very difficult to turn, even with someone like Robben or Messi. :s-smilie: I'll try that as well.

Most people on this game simply can't defend and for them, I suppose it's a good strategy to hold down that sprint button and just run into attackers. It's surprisingly effective.

I, however, defend by switching to my DM or CB and backpedal while calling in a second man. If it's my CB partner that gets moved up, then I fall back and cover the gap. If it's a wingback, I cover the wing. Occasionally, I'll go in for the tackle myself but tackling is so inconsistent in this game... why time it yourself when you can get the AI to do it for you? Contain defending is BS by the way.

What you say about turning while sprinting is very true. Your ball control goes tits up when sprinting and the slightest of touches will send you off the ball. This is even more noticeable with weak, tiny players like Messi, and most wingers who normally have phenomenal dribbling.
Original post by I Kant Spall
Most people on this game simply can't defend and for them, I suppose it's a good strategy to hold down that sprint button and just run into attackers. It's surprisingly effective.

I, however, defend by switching to my DM or CB and backpedal while calling in a second man. If it's my CB partner that gets moved up, then I fall back and cover the gap. If it's a wingback, I cover the wing. Occasionally, I'll go in for the tackle myself but tackling is so inconsistent in this game... why time it yourself when you can get the AI to do it for you? Contain defending is BS by the way.

What you say about turning while sprinting is very true. Your ball control goes tits up when sprinting and the slightest of touches will send you off the ball. This is even more noticeable with weak, tiny players like Messi, and most wingers who normally have phenomenal dribbling.

No, it's true, I'm one of them. :colondollar: I think I've kept two or three clean sheets in thirty-odd games, which is obviously diabolical. If I couldn't score I'd probably still be in division ten. I do want to try and sort it out as my attacking is fairly good, albeit a bit weak from set-pieces.

As I say, I'll try your tactic. It's got to be better than conceding so many goals...

Precisely, I find consistent dribbling with Mata and Sturridge impossible so don't really bother any more. It's one of the more frustrating parts of this FIFA. Close control on the run doesn't really happen.
Just switched away from Man.U after getting tired of playing Barca and Real, then go 6 games without a win :doh:
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
Just switched away from Man.U after getting tired of playing Barca and Real, then go 6 games without a win :doh:

For some reason, whenever I play as Germany I always play against Madrid and destroy them. Gomez is a monster. :adore:
Reply 1394
Original post by CB91

Switch Cambiasso into defence and bring Banega in. That way you get extra strength at the back :sexface:
switch to tottenham and get 5 wins on the trot with a GD of +23 :smug:
I've given up for the time being because I still can't defend and it's very demoralising. I'll come back to it when I feel like losing every game 4-3 or 5-3 again...:tongue: :erm:
Reply 1397
Anyone got any tips on how to defend crosses?
Reply 1398
Original post by gunit123
Anyone got any tips on how to defend crosses?

Try and jockey the player who's crossing it in to block the cross or slide tackle just before they put it in while jockeying. Prevent the crosses from coming in rather than attempting to win the header because defender positioning in the game sucks donkey dick.
Reply 1399
I've given up for the time being because I still can't defend and it's very demoralising. I'll come back to it when I feel like losing every game 4-3 or 5-3 again...:tongue: :erm:

Never press the standing tackle button, it's useless. The way to defend is to hold down R1 & R2 and charge around with a dm cutting out the most obvious passes and a fair few players won't even get a shot away as they'll never be in a position to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest