The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Bengali
Aitch
Quoi qu'ils pensent, les gouvernements devraient écouter les consommateurs.

seraient censés is not right; it would mean something like "would be supposed to..."

This is not a clear sentence in either language, and could do with some reworking. The ambiguity of the ils obscures the sense!

Better:
Quoi que pensent les consommateurs, les gouvernements devraient les écouter.
Quoi que pensent les gouvernements, ils devraient écouter les consommateurs.

yeh i think Jammertal though that "seraient censés" could also mean "SHOULD be supposed to" as well as "WOULD be supposed to".

and Aitch, i really like your last two suggestions, but i think it doesn't really matter about the "clearness" of "ils" - i mean, it will have been talked about before, so whoever "ils" is, will be obvious. - ok maybe not obvious, but clearer.

personally, i think the "ils" is referring to the government, and it's ever-so-slightly obvious (due to the "sense" of the sentence) but grammatically, yes i agree that it's ambiguous. but like i said, if you read this sentence on it's own, then it's hard to decide who "ils" is, but if you were to read the whole passage, then it'd be clearer, maybe even obvious.

--------------

idiosyncratic88
Bengali

WOW. interesting! kemo noshen? bhalo shonay? ta nom kita (something like that!) lol i'll happily add you.
Reply 182
add me linguist786 to the list

je parle francais et j'aime les filles jolies :biggrin:

i speak kachi, a south pakistani language :redface:

and panjabi, i got this kuri i want u to meet :p:

mai urdu bhi theek sai bat kar sagta hoo :eek:

taroo nam huu che, guji also :rolleyes:

and english obviously :smile:

add onto that a bit of turkish, german and hindi, and arabic, but i am semi fluent in these.

but after speakin all these languages, i still prefer being an economist . lol .
g_sachs
add me linguist786 to the list

je parle francais et j'aime les filles jolies :biggrin:

i speak kachi, a south pakistani language :redface:

and panjabi, i got this kuri i want u to meet :p:

mai urdu bhi theek sai bat kar sagta hoo :eek:

taroo nam huu che, guji also :rolleyes:

and english obviously :smile:

add onto that a bit of turkish, german and hindi, and arabic, but i am semi fluent in these.

but after speakin all these languages, i still prefer being an economist . lol .

hehe nice try sultan :wink:

french, urdu and kachi you obviously can translate. but certainly not any of the others!
help,

"hi erstmal. sag mal muss ich irgendwas besonderes machen oder gemacht haben um in die jury aufgenommen zu werden?"
"hey listen up. do i have to do something special, or have to have DONE something (already) in order to be picked in the jury?"
thanks! cnanot rep u i think...

ok, translate

"you just have to make good videos or provide alot of videos"

thanks!
Du musst nur gute Videos machen oder viele Videos anbieten/ bereitstellen.
I want in.....

Fluent in danish, norwegian, urdu and french.
Magician
I want in.....

Fluent in danish, norwegian, urdu and french.

wow that's a nice range! how do you know urdu btw? and also norwegian?
oh - you've been added btw
Reply 190
hi can you add me to the list.
i speak welsh fluently (+ doing french and german A Level but that prob. doesnt count cos i'm not that good!!)

don't know if there'll be much call for Welsh translating but there we go.
Oh btw. i work in a welsh translators office!
beeboo
hi can you add me to the list.
i speak welsh fluently (+ doing french and german A Level but that prob. doesnt count cos i'm not that good!!)

don't know if there'll be much call for Welsh translating but there we go.
Oh btw. i work in a welsh translators office!

way hay! another new language. the list just gets longer and longer!

i have a question for you regarding welsh:

why in welsh do loads of consonants go together?? i mean, how are you supposed to pronounce words?? i find it awfully confusing! i mean, i'm just interested - i'm not learning welsh or anything! just curious. and please give an example(s) if you can.
Reply 192
(v. technical post coming up!!!)
we've got a slightly different alphabet with extra letters which are -
ch, dd, ff, ng, ll, ph, rh, th,
they are all separate, completely new sounds and they count as one letter although it may look like there's loads of consonants together.
i'm trying to think of examples!!!
Take the place name 'Llanfyllin' for example in the welsh alphabet there's only 8 letters in it although in english there's 10.(and btw. it would be impossible for me to tell you how to pronounce that without you hearing it.)

I've just realised how confusing that post was so it prob. hasn't helped you much but if you're interested (?!!!?i don't know you might be?!!!?) PM me and i'll try to help cos i teach welsh at school so i love talking bout it!!!
beeboo
(v. technical post coming up!!!)
we've got a slightly different alphabet with extra letters which are -
ch, dd, ff, ng, ll, ph, rh, th,
they are all separate, completely new sounds and they count as one letter although it may look like there's loads of consonants together.
i'm trying to think of examples!!!
Take the place name 'Llanfyllin' for example in the welsh alphabet there's only 8 letters in it although in english there's 10.(and btw. it would be impossible for me to tell you how to pronounce that without you hearing it.)

I've just realised how confusing that post was so it prob. hasn't helped you much but if you're interested (?!!!?i don't know you might be?!!!?) PM me and i'll try to help cos i teach welsh at school so i love talking bout it!!!

hehe that was ok. i was just weirdly curious for some reason. because sometimes i look at welsh words and think "now how the hell would you pronounce that?!" there's like clumps of consonants stuck together!
Reply 194
ie it's true we like to make it hard for people!hehe! I'm actually curious about one thing where do you see all these confusing welsh words in the middle of england???
Reply 195
heyyy

my languages are gujrati (mainly the bharuchi type, although i can understand the posh version too!), arabic, french and urdu.
abid
heyyy

my languages are gujrati (mainly the bharuchi type, although i can understand the posh version too!), arabic, french and urdu.

hehe! another gujji! and ur the same as me - the bharuchi type! but like i said before, i can translate into/from standard-spoken gujarati (the "posh" type as you put it) if someone would want me to.
and arabic too? wow nice. - ai kevi ritna yaad kairutu? emmaj shokh liday?
beeboo
ie it's true we like to make it hard for people!hehe! I'm actually curious about one thing where do you see all these confusing welsh words in the middle of england???

The signposts that Daffyd leans up against on the opening credits of Little Britain :wink:
Jammertal
Du musst nur gute Videos machen oder viele Videos anbieten/ bereitstellen.

Hey, I can help with Chinese, I'm a native speaker. I'm alright at French too, so if anyone's exhausted all other possibilities for French help - they can turn to me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending