The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Manatee
Not quite: "Je n'aurais pas le leur prêter, mais je le lui demanderai"

This is correct.
Reply 381
Aitch
This is correct.

Thank you, Aitch - I thought I was going mad.

:smile:
Manatee
What exactly is wrong with my answer?

sorry once again! there was nothing wrong. i misread

Aitch and Manatee are both correct BUT me and my teacher had a little debate over it, and she came out with "Je ne l'aurais pas leur prêter, mais je la demanderai pour ça" and i said exactly what Manatee and Aitch said.

it's a dodgy one this.
Reply 383
linguist786

Aitch and Manatee are both correct BUT me and my teacher had a little debate over it, and she came out with "Je ne l'aurais pas leur prêter, mais je la demanderai pour ça" and i said exactly what Manatee and Aitch said.

it's a dodgy one this.

I think your teacher's knowledge of French is rather questionable. "Je ne l'aurais pas leur prêter, mais je la demanderai pour ça" is simply not good French.
Reply 384
linguist786

it's a dodgy one this.

Will you dare tell your teacher that there are 3 fairly grim errors in this?

The 2 verbs here are interesting in that they take quite different drect and indirect objects in English, but the same in French:

to lend something to someone
to ask someone for something

but

prêter quelquechose à quelqu'un
demander quelquechose à quelqu'un
asianangel86
what a peculiar thing to say!
i'll have to think about this one and try to answer without asking my dad...
hmmm...
jab hu sanas ma gaye, hu oonder joi... or hu sanas ma gayti tar meh undaydo joyu
i wouldn't know which was grammatically correct. lol

lol that's good! it's different to the "style" of gujarati that i speak. (which is what i wanted to see!)

the way i would say it is:
"jyaare oo toilet maa gyoto, tyaare me underu joyutu" ('geti' if you're female)

i think in standard-spoken guj, however, it'd be:
"jyaare me sanas maa gayo hato, tyaare me undroo joyu hatu" - but that's too "posh" for me! lol
oh yeh - if you were a female, you'd change "gayo hato" to "gayee hati".

i noticed that you said "jab" - that's more urdu, isn't it? infact i'm sure it is.
Reply 386
Aitch

I'm frankly appalled by what this implies about the standard of language teaching in some schools...
Aitch

i know i know! she's terrible - sometimes we have to correct her! she's a newly-graduated woman. grrr..!
Reply 388
linguist786
i know i know! she's terrible - sometimes we have to correct her! she's a newly-graduated woman. grrr..!

The example you quoted could be called quite tricky, but things get harder when you have to handle y and en as well, add negatives, make the verb(s) interrogative...
Aitch
The example you quoted could be called quite tricky, but things get harder when you have to handle y and en as well, add negatives, make the verb(s) interrogative...

omg. imagine that. let's see if i can think of an example... (can you?)
Reply 390
linguist786
omg. imagine that. let's see if i can think of an example... (can you?)

Picking up "i ought not to have lent it to them, but i shall ask her for it"

I used to have hundreds of books. I lent her ten of them but she never gave them back - she kept them all. I went to her house and saw several of them there. Why did she decide to keep them?... :biggrin:

Now you've all gone quiet...
Reply 391
Aitch
Picking up "i ought not to have lent it to them, but i shall ask her for it"

I used to have hundreds of books. I lent her ten of them but she never gave them back - she kept them all. I went to her house and saw several of them there. Why did she decide to keep them?... :biggrin:

Here's my version:

Spoiler

Reply 392
Manatee
Here's my version:

Spoiler

This is what I put: formatted in white for those who want an independent attempt! Drag over the text to see it.

J’avais des centaines de livres. Je lui en ai prêté une dizaine, mais elle ne (me) les a jamais rendus. Elle les a gardés, tous. Je suis allé chez elle et j’y en ai vu plusieurs. Pourquoi a-t-elle décidé de les garder?
Reply 393
ben marcato le due cove, ma dolce

anyone?
Italian anyone?
Reply 394
moojoo

anyone?
Italian anyone?

I think it should be voce (?)

Musical instructions "2 voices, well emphased, but sweet, gentle."

Except that I think voce is voice and 2 voices is due voci

see this: (about 5th post down)
http://chopinmusic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25&start=15

I may be wrong, I don't speak Italian and am doing this by deduction, not translation!
Reply 395
moojoo

anyone?
Italian anyone?

This looks like musical terminology to me, in which case it means "the two [cove] should be well marked (or accented) but sweet".

I'm afraid I have no idea what "cove" means...

Edit: I think Aitch must be correct that "cove" should actually be "voce". Nice deduction! :smile:
moojoo

anyone?
Italian anyone?

I'm sure this is musical terminology because it wouldn't make sense in everyday language for sure! "le cove" is meaningless and voce would make more sense. Basically it would mean to play quite stressed (is that what marcato means, I can't remember much musical theory!) but softly. It's one of those musical directions that are absolutely impossible to determine what the hell the composer was on about! Like when they say "play with spice..." :rolleyes:
Reply 397
Sorry yeah it is indeed a performance direction, and I got the same you guys did

but "cove" doesn't seem to exist...and it doesn't look like anything else, certainly not voce hmm
linguist786
lol that's good! it's different to the "style" of gujarati that i speak. (which is what i wanted to see!)

the way i would say it is:
"jyaare oo toilet maa gyoto, tyaare me underu joyutu" ('geti' if you're female)

i think in standard-spoken guj, however, it'd be:
"jyaare me sanas maa gayo hato, tyaare me undroo joyu hatu" - but that's too "posh" for me! lol
oh yeh - if you were a female, you'd change "gayo hato" to "gayee hati".

i noticed that you said "jab" - that's more urdu, isn't it? infact i'm sure it is.

lol yeah thats a bad thing... i tend to mix my hindi a bit sometimes into katchi and gujerati- but they're all so similar! :p:
yep true! the word order for one thing is exactly the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending