The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Need help with..

I do not know what time I will be home
Je ne sais pas quelle heure je vais arriver a la maison?

I am not that good
Je ne suis pas autant bien?
Reply 5981
afternoon everyone :smile: could someone possibly help me with this German phrase im struggling to write?

how do you say:

'For example, yesterday, the maths teacher helped me with my homework because i did not understand it.'

rep to anyone who helps!! so far ive got:

Zum Beispiel gestern, die Mathelehere hat mich mit meine Hausaufgaben geholfen, weil ich habe es nicht verstanden.

thanks a lot
i would say:
"Zum Beispiel, gestern hat der Mathelehrer mit mich meinen Hausaufgaben geholfen, weil ich habe es nicht verstanden."
but wait for one of the german translators before you put it...i'm just having my twopence.
how would you say this in english,
"doch der Wunsch nach schnellen Schlitten, die es auf der Autobahn auf 200 Sachen bringen, hat dieses Ziel höchstens für Zweitwagen, so genannte Stadtflitzer, interessant gemacht. Langsame Pretigegewagen sind in Deutschland kaum an den Mann zu bringen."
Reply 5984
SpiritedAway
i would say:
"Zum Beispiel, gestern hat der Mathelehrer mit mich meinen Hausaufgaben geholfen, weil ich habe es nicht verstanden."
but wait for one of the german translators before you put it...i'm just having my twopence.

Watch your word order...and helfen takes dative..
Reply 5985
SpiritedAway
i would say:

Zum Beispiel, gestern hat der Mathelehrer mir mit meinen Hausaufgaben geholfen, weil ich es nicht verstanden habe.
jhomie
Need help with..

I do not know what time I will be home
Je ne sais pas quelle heure je vais arriver a la maison?

I am not that good
Je ne suis pas autant bien?

I personally would say "Je ne sais pas à quelle heure je reviens à la maison" (although à la maison isn't absolutely imperative depending on who you're talking to)

And then, "Je ne suis pas si bon/bonne" is my translation.
theorangecab
I personally would say "Je ne sais pas à quelle heure je reviens à la maison" (although à la maison isn't absolutely imperative depending on who you're talking to)

And then, "Je ne suis pas si bon/bonne" is my translation.

For the first one, I think it should be "je vais revenir", since it's in the near future (futur proche). I don't know, but I think yours can be interpreted as "I don't know what time I come/am coming home". The rest is OK though. :yep:
Reply 5988
I think ''être de retour'' would be a good alternative also...
Reply 5989
How would you say this in french:

He has worked in a bar

Last year, she bought herself a new computer

He has been told that he is nice

____

And also...

Taking this (present tense)
"J’aime beaucoup travailler avec les enfants et en fait j’ai fait beaucoup de babysitting pour les voisins."

Into this...

Il a dit qu'il aimait beaucoup travailler avec les enfants et en fait il avait fait beaucoup de babysitting

(what I want to say is.... He said that he likes working with children and in fact he has done a lot of babysitting
Reply 5990
jhomie
How would you say this in french:

He has worked in a bar

Last year, she bought herself a new computer

He has been told that he is nice

____

And also...

Taking this (present tense)
"J’aime beaucoup travailler avec les enfants et en fait j’ai fait beaucoup de babysitting pour les voisins."

Into this...

Il a dit qu'il aimait beaucoup travailler avec les enfants et en fait il avait fait beaucoup de babysitting

(what I want to say is.... He said that he likes working with children and in fact he has done a lot of babysitting

He has worked in a bar - Il a travaillé dans un bar

Last year, she bought herself a new computer - L'année dernière, elle s'est achétée un nouveau ordinateur

He has been told that he is nice - On lui a dit qu'il est gentil

He said that he likes working with children and in fact he has done a lot of babysitting - Il a dit qu'il aime travailler avec des enfants et en effet il a fait beaucoup de babysitting
Reply 5991
james99
He has worked in a bar - Il a travaillé dans un bar - doesn't that mean he worked in a bar, not has worked

Last year, she bought herself a new computer - L'année dernière, elle s'est achétée un nouveau ordinateur

He has been told that he is nice - On lui a dit qu'il est gentil

He said that he likes working with children and in fact he has done a lot of babysitting - Il a dit qu'il aime travailler avec des enfants et en effet il a fait beaucoup de babysitting once again, doesn't that mean he did a lot not has done a lot

Please correct me if i'm wrong and tell me why
Reply 5992
jhomie
Please correct me if i'm wrong and tell me why

Il a travaillé can mean either "He has worked" or "he worked" depending on the context. Here you would definitely use the perfect tense.

Il a fait, again, can either mean "He has done" or "he did". Remember, verbs in French take on the three meanings of verbs in English. For example, "Je joue" can mean "I play", "I am playing" or "I do play".

The translation you suggested, "Il avait fait beaucoup de babysitting", is the pluperfect tense, and means "He had done lots of babysitting".
Please help with a few litlle german translation problems!
Context: Brochure for a language school

Leitung und Organisation: [names of the Heads of the language school]
- to me 'Managment and Administration' sounds best- although I wonder if 'Managment' doesn't make it clear enough they are the heads- although 'leadership and Organisations/Administration' sounds odd to me

Our price : performance ratio- they wrote this- I think I know what they are trying to say- but I thought it should be 'good/high/excellent priceerformance ratio (I don't think there should be space next to the colon)
also not sure about 'performance' but 'success' doesn't sound right here

Hoch Qualitätsstandard- High standards of quality? (w/o capital S or Q?)

Unizulassung- would they be more likely to help with application to uni or registration?

more than 250 happy/satisfied students- satisfied sounds better doesn't it? (zufrieden)

Lern- und Sprachberatung- personal help with learning and oral skills?
Reply 5994
yellowwdaisy
Please help with a few litlle german translation problems!
Context: Brochure for a language school

Leitung und Organisation: [names of the Heads of the language school]
- to me 'Managment and Administration' sounds best- although I wonder if 'Managment' doesn't make it clear enough they are the heads- although 'leadership and Organisations/Administration' sounds odd to me. Tricky, I think your suggestion is the best, although "management" implies a company and not a school. Maybe "Directors" ??

Our price : performance ratio- they wrote this- I think I know what they are trying to say- but I thought it should be 'good/high/excellent priceerformance ratio (I don't think there should be space next to the colon)
also not sure about 'performance' but 'success' doesn't sound right here Not quite sure what this means to be honest. What does the German text say?

Hoch Qualitätsstandard- High standards of quality? (w/o capital S or Q?) High standards of quality is fine. Capitalise the S and Q only if it's a title or subtitle.

Unizulassung- would they be more likely to help with application to uni or registration? I think "Zulassung" here means "approval" or "accreditation" - as in they are recognised by the universities.

more than 250 happy/satisfied students- satisfied sounds better doesn't it? (zufrieden) Satisfied definitely sounds the best here.

Lern- und Sprachberatung- personal help with learning and oral skills? Personal help is fine. Personally I would expand it a bit to say "Advice and Guidance" instead though. It just sounds better somehow.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 5995
yellowwdaisy
Unizulassung- would they be more likely to help with application to uni or registration?

I think what they probably mean here is that through doing one of their language courses you can fulfil the language requirements needed to enrol at a (German?) university. So it's more about gaining access to university than about application or registration.
hobnob
I think what they probably mean here is that through doing one of their language courses you can fulfil the language requirements needed to enrol at a (German?) university. So it's more about gaining access to university than about application or registration.

to clarify- this is a list of extras they offer on top of the course (the mention elsewhere that they do preparation for uni entrance exams)- the list also includes visas and finding a flat/permanent residence
so I think the idea is- they help you with documents in german- so I expect they either mean application or registration forms
Reply 5997
Is this correct?

And that is why I am what I am and you are what you are
Et c'est porquoi je suis quoi je suis et tu es quoi tu es

And that is why I am as I am and you are as you are
Et c'est porquoi je suis comme je suis et tu es comme tu es
jhomie
Is this correct?

And that is why I am what I am and you are what you are
Et c'est porquoi je suis quoi je suis et tu es quoi tu es

And that is why I am as I am and you are as you are
Et c'est porquoi je suis comme je suis et tu es comme tu es

*"Et c'est pourquoi je suis ce que je suis et tu es ce que tu es"
**"pourquoi" and not "porquoi"
:yep:
Anatheme
*"Et c'est pourquoi je suis ce que je suis et tu es ce que tu es"
**"pourquoi" and not "porquoi"
:yep:

Just curious (only just seen the thread, sorry if you've forgotten the phrase by now!), but why isn't it "c'est pourquoi que tu sois (?)".

If you were asking it as a question, wouldn't you say "et pourquoi est-ce que tu es...?"? I'm probably having a mental block, but why has the "que" disappeared? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending