The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Hi, could someone please translate this sentence into german please:
'If i had more time, i would have gone hiking in the mountains, because hiking pleases me'
thankyou :smile:
Original post by NatDurham22
Hi, could someone please translate this sentence into german please:
'If i had more time, i would have gone hiking in the mountains, because hiking pleases me'

Its your lucky day today, because German is my native language!

'Wenn Ich mehr Zeit hätte, hätte ich eine Wanderung durch die Berge unternommen, weil die Wanderung mir gefällt".

But this expression with the verb 'unternommen' (with the meaning of doing something in this context) seems to be awkward for foreigners, especially it sounds not so good. Here is a (better) alternative:

"Ich würde durch die Berge wandern, wenn ich mehr Zeit hätte, da die Wanderung mir gefällt"

This sounds better by far, but in the other hand its not the literal translation. 'Would have' is translated to 'hätte' in German as a rule, but in the alternative sentence, its 'würde', just because it has a better sound, plus the alternative sentence has a better structure.
Original post by Kallisto
Its your lucky day today, because German is my native language!

'Wenn Ich mehr Zeit hätte, hätte ich eine Wanderung durch die Berge unternommen, weil die Wanderung mir gefällt".

But this expression with the verb 'unternommen' (with the meaning of doing something in this context) seems to be awkward for foreigners, especially it sounds not so good. Here is a (better) alternative:

"Ich würde durch die Berge wandern, wenn ich mehr Zeit hätte, da die Wanderung mir gefällt"

This sounds better by far, but in the other hand its not the literal translation. 'Would have' is translated to 'hätte' in German as a rule, but in the alternative sentence, its 'würde', just because it has a better sound, plus the alternative sentence has a better structure.

i guess it is! thankyou very much :smile:
i guess it is! thankyou very much :smile:

You are welcome, but maybe I should tell you that the tense in the German sentences is not the same one as in the English given. It has a simple reason: it is not possible to form a good structure by observing the tense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone doing french, please help.
I have finished my coursework and all i need to do is cut it down to 300 words, which is my word limit.
Now i dont know what parts to take out, but i was thinking of taking out the low level stuff. However, i dont know what the low level stuff is. Shall i take out the qualifiers or some justifications?

I'm not sure what to do, but if anyone could assist me it would be absolutely amazing!

i posted a thread on it early, if anyone wants to take a look:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3352715
Im having a little trouble translating this sentence to german:
'Also the facilities were very poor so i had to take a cold shower every day'
if you can help i would be thankful :smile:
Im having a little trouble translating this sentence to german:
'Also the facilities were very poor so i had to take a cold shower every day'
if you can help i would be thankful :smile:

Die Einrichtungen waren auch sehr schlecht also muesste ich mich jeden Tag kalt duschen.

(Not a native, but should be right)
Original post by Chriswuk
Die Einrichtungen waren auch sehr schlecht also muesste ich mich jeden Tag kalt duschen.

Die Einrichtungen waren auch sehr schlecht also musste ich mich jeden Tag kalt duschen.

Almost right, but its not an umlaut! Very well! :smile:

instead of 'also', you can substitute it with 'so dass' to introduce a consecutive clause like in this way:

Die Einrichtungen waren auch sehr schlecht, so dass ich jeden Tag kalt duschen musste.

Don't forget the comma! :wink:
Original post by Kallisto
Almost right, but its not an umlaut! Very well! :smile:

Stimmt :frown: So ein dummer Fehler!
Stimmt :frown: So ein dummer Fehler!

Never mind! its not a shame for a non-native-German-speaker to make such a mistake.
Have any of yous done German at Cambridge or Oxford? I wonder what the course really consists of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone please translate this sentence for me into german?

'however the room was very expensive and very small, si the question is, was it worth the money?'
Hopefully someone could help because its for my german speaking next week! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8373
Could someone please translate this sentence for me into german?

'however the room was very expensive and very small, si the question is, was it worth the money?'
Hopefully someone could help because its for my german speaking next week! :smile:

I'm not native German, but I'm pretty confident that this is right:

'Jedoch war das Zimmer sehr teuer und sehr klein. Also lässt es sich fragen, ob es preiswürdig war.'

I think you can also say ',ob es das Geld wert war' for the last bit, but I'm not sure which one would sound better to a German..

Hope this helps! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou very much this helps alot! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RCous
I'm not native German, but I'm pretty confident that this is right:

'Jedoch war das Zimmer sehr teuer und sehr klein. Also lässt es sich fragen, ob es preiswürdig war.'

I think you can also say ',ob es das Geld wert war' for the last bit, but I'm not sure which one would sound better to a German..

Hope this helps! ☺️

In this context that is the better expression, as it is more precisely.

(...)Also lässt es sich fragen(...)

Nah, that sounds toooo...akwardly! yeah, that is the word which puts it in the nut shell! with the expression in bold print, there are clearer and more fluent word orders:

...Die Frage ist,...
...Da stellt sich die Frage,...
...Da fragt man sich, ob es das Geld wert war.

The first word order is closer to the translation.
(edited 8 years ago)
anyone here who can help me with a fairly short French question translation? :smile:
Original post by Duck and Cover
Go on, I'll be willing to help with French and German - especially if its something nice and poetic and flowerly lol!

Hello! Please could you help me with a translation? :biggrin:
FRENCH HELP :
Hi so the question is ' do you think it is better to spend your free time with your parents or your friends?'I need quite a sophisticated answer along the lines of ' ils peuvent partager leurs rêves et leurs secrets. Toutefois la sagesse des aînes nous apporte du réconfort et on droit essayer de s'en accomenter'But not that exactly because my teacher wrote that for someone else so i need something on the same lines as that

which basically says ' as a whole, young people prefer to be around people their own age because they can relate to eachother more and share their dreams. Also, they prefere to have independance and create their own identity. However i think that the experience that adults have can be used by teens to gain a different perspective of the world.'

Or something along the lines of that, it doesn't have to follow it exactly but something like that if anyone could help me? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
happy to help translating into/out of German - I need to keep practicing somehow ha ha :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending