The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Hey linguist thanks for the advice on the subjunctive perfect conditional from yesterday :smile:
blondemoment
Hey linguist thanks for the advice on the subjunctive perfect conditional from yesterday :smile:
de rien. did you understand that German waffle, or d'you not do German? lol
Reply 1182
is this correct use of the subjunctive? (i doubt it :smile: )

on peut constater que son justification puisse élève des problèmes éthiques.

:confused:
Just William
is this correct use of the subjunctive? (i doubt it :smile: )

on peut constater que son justification puisse élève des problèmes éthiques.

:confused:
i don't think it needs the subjunctive tbh.
but if it did, it would be "...puisse élever..". otherwise fine.

remember - puisse comes from pouvoir, which is a modal verb. the next verb after ALL modal verbs (no matter in which tense) have to be in the infinitive form.
Reply 1184
Which version of "before" do I use in German if I'm saying, for example, "before him"?
Reply 1185
linguist786
i don't think it needs the subjunctive tbh.
but if it did, it would be "...puisse élever..". otherwise fine.

remember - puisse comes from pouvoir, which is a modal verb. the next verb after ALL modal verbs (no matter in which tense) have to be in the infinitive form.

What could I change "constater que" to in order to enable me to use the subjunctive in the sentence?
Reply 1186
it really depends on the context.
You could try
-sembler que
-supposer que
-expanding the sentence eg 'Whatever your opinion' -quel que soit votre avis, or 'however odd it may be' - si bizarre que ce soit + on constate ...
can any french speakers tell me if this makes sense? - it seems really long-winded;

la manière auquelle elle a était élévée a se rendu confus en ce qui concerne la moralité

i.e. her upbringing has left her with a confused sense of morality

thanks in advance :smile:
viciouscircle
can any french speakers tell me if this makes sense? - it seems really long-winded;

la manière auquelle elle a était élévée a se rendu confus en ce qui concerne la moralité

i.e. her upbringing has left her with a confused sense of morality

thanks in advance :smile:

la manière à laquelle elle a été élévée l'a rendu confus en ce qui concerne la moralité

if i was to say it, i'd say:

"Son éducation l'a laissée troublé en ce qui concerne la moralité"

anyone else?
linguist786
la manière à laquelle elle a été élévée l'a rendu confus en ce qui concerne la moralité

if i was to say it, i'd say:

"Son éducation l'a laissée troublée en ce qui concerne la moralité"

anyone else?

I'd agree with that, it basically says it in a simplified way lol.
wildelectricity
Which version of "before" do I use in German if I'm saying, for example, "before him"?

It all depends on the context. bevor or vor in most cases. In your example it's vor ihm.
wildelectricity
You've got to think "Am i using it as a preposition, or a conjunction?" If it's a preposition, you have to use "vor" ( + dative) and if it's a conjunction, it's "bevor"
Can a french speaker have a go at translating perhaps she has manipulated us aswell please :redface:

-----Oh and thanks so much linguist for help on 'la manière...' *reps*
Peut-être qu'elle nous ait manipulé(e)s aussi.
Jammertal
hehe..that looks good!
Reply 1195
Hi everybody, I'd like to ask you for some tips. I've been thinking of studying French, and I want to learn quite fast, but good as well.. true I am impatient, but I'm ready for hard work :smile:... Ok, so what would you guys recommend to do, any particular methods, textbooks, have you found a magic way of studying this beautiful language? I'll be grateful for any help ! Btw way , has anybody here came across Supermemo ? If so what do you think of this software?
Jammertal

Are you sure this takes the subjunctive??
I was quite sure that it takes the subjunctive, but there's the example "Peut-être qu'il fera beau demain" and your doubts. :confused: Linguist?
Reply 1198
Peut-être que is one of those phrases which you think takes the subjunctive, but actually doesn't.
Jammertal
I was quite sure that it takes the subjunctive, but there's the example "Peut-être qu'il fera beau demain" and your doubts. :confused: Linguist?

If you just say peut-être without the 'que' then it needs inversion but I didn't think it took the subjunctive. Hmm, having said that, I often wonder whether I'm thinking of Spanish!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending