The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Could anyone translate this for me?

"Im Januar ging mein Austauschjahr zu Ende. Wie schnell die Zeit vergeht. Einerseits kommt es mir wie gestern vor, auf der anderen Seite aber kommen mir die ersten Tage in diesem fremden Land schon so weit weg vor, dass ich mich nicht mal mehr genau erinnen kann.
Ich haette nie vorher gedacht, dass mein Austausch so wird, wie er geworden ist. Ich hasse es normalerweise, wenn Leute das sagen: nicht schlechter, nicht besser, einfach anders. Aber so ist es wirklich. Man kann sich so eine riesige Sache einfach nicht vorstellen."

What I thought it was (and it probably isn't):
"My exchange year ended in January. Time goes so quickly....something something...
I didn't think that my exchange would be what it was (?) I hate it when people say; not worse, not better, just something different. But it is like that."

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1781
In January my exchange year came to an end. How quickly the time goes. Sometimes the first days in this foreign country seem like just yesterday, other times they seem so long ago that I can't remember them very well anymore. I never thought that my exchange would turn out like it did. I normally hate it when people say, "Not worse, not better, something different." But that's how it was. You can't really describe something so huge.

Think that's about right! :smile:
Thanks for the help.
james99

Think that's about right! :smile:

Sounds good. Thanks!
If you want to say in French: "I was informed that they had found my bike", it's in the passive voice, isn't it? I think it's a bit easier to put it into the active voice; i.e. "They informed me that they had found my bike", and then translate it into French, but I'm just wondering how would you say it in the passive voice anyway.

Thanks for any help! :smile:
wesetters
"J'étais informé qu'ils avaient trouvé mon vélo"

Merci!
wesetters
"J'étais informé qu'ils avaient trouvé mon vélo"

And if you were to make it active, would it be: "Ils m'ont informée..", with the agreement on the 'e' because the me is feminine and a preceding direct object?
My mum's just come back from her spanish class with a pronounciation issue if anyone could help with that. She'd like to know how to pronounce the "ll" sound in "llamo" is it like an english J or Y ?

Thanks.
loopylouise
My mum's just come back from her spanish class with a pronounciation issue if anyone could help with that. She'd like to know how to pronounce the "ll" sound in "llamo" is it like an english J or Y ?

Thanks.

As in "Como se llamo?"- the English Y. :smile:
suuuuuuseh
And if you were to make it active, would it be: "Ils m'ont informée..", with the agreement on the 'e' because the me is feminine and a preceding direct object?
Il m'ont informés
suuuuuuseh

Ils m'ont informée if you're a girl, definitely. The past participle has to agree with the complement here, because it is before the verb, and not with the subject, because you are using avoir and not être.
loopylouise

Thanks.
Both. :smile: I had my first Spanish class on Wednesday and it's pronounced LY, but you can drop the L if you like and say Y like in Mallorca, no one calls it Malyorca. They drop the L in South-America but we are taught Catalian (sp?) so..
Reply 1792
Can't be both huggy - the English J and Y are muchos different.
Fleece
Can't be both huggy - the English J and Y are muchos different.
J? :confused: I was talking about L and Y.

Must have misread the OP. :smile: It's LY (or Y), anyway.

(Y = J in Dutch, in case you're interested :p: )
Reply 1794
loopylouise

Thanks.

In Castilian Spanish, you can pronounce it as 'y' or 'ly', but some areas of Spain do pronounce it more like the English 'j', so there's nothing really wrong with pronouncing it like that. Most Spaniards I've come across pronounce it 'y' (meh yamo for me me llamo), so that's probably the one to choose for a beginner.
FrenchGal
Ils m'ont informée if you're a girl, definitely. The past participle has to agree with the complement here, because it is before the verb, and not with the subject, because you are using avoir and not être.

Good good! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1796
Hmmm I've never actually heard a spaniard pronounce me llamo as meh lyamo, sounds a bit weird to me, but it is true that there is a lot of little differences in pronunciation between different regions in Spain and Latin America so it's probably right both ways.
suuuuuuseh
Good good! Thanks :smile:

No problemo. My native language is so complicated... glad if i can help !
hello i can help with arabic!!!! just contact me if you need any help :smile:
hello could some one check this for me urgently.
thank you

Mein Betriebspraktikum

Ich habe mein Betriebspraktikum bei einer Primärschule gemacht, die Northlands Wood heißt. Jeden Morgen stehe ich am halb acht auf. Normalerweise, stehe ich 1 Uhr dreizig Minuten früh für die Schule auf. Um 8 Uhr 42 war ich fertig (stuck for a verb here) und ich habe das Haus verlassen. Ich bin dann zu Fuß gegangen. Die Fahrt hat zwei Minuten gedauert und der Arbeitstag hat immer um 8h45 begonnen.

Der erste Tag habe ich wirklich gearbeitet. Die Schulleiterin hat mir die Schule gezeigt. Ich habe in einer reception (?) Klasse gearbeitet und die Lehrerin heißt Frau Young. Der Assistent heißt Frau May aber sie war nicht schön. In meinem Betriebspraktikum habe ich Lego und Sand mit den Kindern gespielt. Für die Lehrerin habe ich photocopying (?) gemacht.

Ich hatte 1 Uhr für Pause, und weil mein Haus in der Nahe liegt, bin ich zu Hause gegangen. Ich habe am 12h15 zurückgekehrt. Ich habe mit den Kindern gefärbt und gespielt. Manchmal habe ich nur gesessen und eine Geschichte gehort. Das war sehr langweilig, aber ich habe es besser als Arbeit gefunden. Am Ende die Tag, habe ich die Kinder umziehen und die Kinder sich erinnern, dass sie ihr Essen zu Hause nehmen mussen. Dann, konnte ich verlassen. Der Arbeitstag hat um am meisten am 15h00 gefertigt.

Am Ende der Woche , habe ich auf wiedersehen zu den Kindern und die Lehrerin. Ein des Kindes hat Mir ein Bild gezeichnet. Ich habe mich am meinem letzten Tag ein bisschen traurig gefühlt. Mein Arbeitspraktikum war sehr einfach und entspanned aber wenn ich alter bin, will ich nicht eine Lehrerin werden, weil die Kinder viel weinen.

little.princess.1991

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending