The Student Room Group

MA Newspaper course at Notts Trent or London School of Journalism?

Hello,

I've been offered a place at Nottingham Trent for October and having checked the league tables it's rated first in the country. Now in the past I think it was Sheffield but either way the university is rated highly. It's also convenient because I live in Mansfield which means travelling isn't a massive issue and it's local. My question is should I stay with this plan or try the London School of Journalism, where you can do a shorter course (3 months) for less money and cover the basics of ethics, reporting and law whilst also doing more portfolio work..it's more vocational than notts trent but apparantly employers like to see more hands on stuff than academic essays/dissertational work.

Also being in London would be cheaper course fees - I'd have to live there which would make it about as expensive but potentially could be in a job quicker. There are also more contacts in London and many more national papers. Having said that, I'm not sure I actually want to live there permanently and do prefer the area that I'm at, despite the shortage in opportunity over here. I'm in a bit of a dilemna and was wondering what you think the best choice would be. Both courses appear to be respectable but I don't want to lose a good placement just because it's based in London. Here's the website for the course if you need a better picture: http://www.lsj.org/web/pg/syllabus.php

Thanks for your help!!
Reply 1
It seems to me that the London course is a postgraduate course for someone already with a degree and its a training course... Nottingham Trent is an excellent course in Journalism, I was offered a place there myself and Im sure I'll regret rejecting it when I recieve my results next week but there we are! Hope all goes well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending