The Student Room Group

ENGLISH Aberdeen/Cardiff/Surrey/Lancaster

Which is better as someone looking to study English and later pursue journalism?
Aberdeen
Cardiff
Surrey
Lancaster
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by AngelinaShort
Which is better as someone looking to study English and later pursue journalism?
Aberdeen
Cardiff
Surrey

A good university is the one best suited to you. A little bit of time spent researching the course (which is the important bit) and the university will pay off. If you have more specific questions I am happy to help.
Aberdeen
Cardiff
Surrey
Lancaster

Hi!

Great to hear that you are considering Lancaster!

Picking a uni is a very personal decision. One of the most important things to consider is how the courses differ, whether there is much flexibility with modules, what sort of modules are on offer etc. But other than the course it's good to look at the university in general and see which environment you would prefer to study and live in. For example look at if you would prefer a city or campus uni, if you want to live in a bigger city or a smaller/more rural place.

For me, I chose Lancaster as the course had everything I was looking for and I preferred a campus university and those were the things that were most important to me. Maybe have a think about what you will value most from uni and see which of the unis you are interested in meet that?

I hope that helps, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about Lancaster :smile:
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Aberdeen
Cardiff
Surrey
Lancaster

Hi there!

I'm glad to hear you're considering Surrey :smile:

I agree with what @CheeseIsVeg wrote. For me, one of the most important factors was location. Surrey's campus is a 15-min walk from Guildford town centre, and 10-min walk from the train station, that can get you to central London in around 30 minutes. The proximity of the university to London can provide you with a vast amount of placement and graduate opportunities, that universities further away might not. I didn't actually want to be IN London, so Guildford was the perfect town for me :tongue:

I think you can start by writing down your priorities, so you can visualise each university side-by-side. I did this on Excel, and highlighted each point in green or red depending if the university met my requirements or not.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Aberdeen
Cardiff
Surrey
Lancaster

Lancaster's graduates are typically interested in journalism, so it would be a good choice for you.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Aberdeen
Cardiff
Surrey
Lancaster

Just wanted to chime in to say that I agree with the above ambassadors in that it's definitely worth considering location. The universities you've mentioned have very different campus set ups and are in very different parts of the UK. It's worth considering this both for what you would like to be close to or further away from (eg. big cities, family, what is available for hobbies/activities you are interested in etc.) as well as industry contacts available for journalism to see if while you're studying there are any ways to get experience. This sort of thing may be available all over in the form of summer placements at newspapers for instance, but could be worth looking into.

It will be hard to determine which uni is good for graduates of English looking to get into a specific profession, but it could be worth seeing if the universities have careers services that are able to get you advice on graduate prospects. It may be the case that they do not have any stats specifically available for this but an English degree certainly will have a lot of relevance to a career in journalism I would imagine. Hope this is helpful! If you want any guidance on contacting Aberdeen about this just let us know.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending