The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liviluck
Hahah, I had a similar reaction, it was my first offer and came through a couple of weeks after I sent my application off, so I had one of those 'omg someone actually wants me!' reactions, followed by 'omg it's one of my favourite choices!' haha:biggrin:
woo the EPQ:biggrin: I've done that too, but I did it in the summer holidays after AS/last term, so I'll get my results for that in March, so no idea how I've done in it yet!
hahah yeah, yep 95% sure i'll firm exeter, you? :biggrin:

Well done! Where else did you apply?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by alexorton
I've got an offer for politics and sociology! So undecided about where to go... I haven't visited the Uni yet have an open day booked for the end of the month what's making everyone else want to pick Exeter?

Obviously this is very subjective and entirely personal but here's my list! (Exeter's going to be my insurance btw) :colondollar:

Loved the variety of different styles in accomodation, all on campus (catered) and for the 2nd/ 3rd years there seemed to be a decent amount of Unite housing, mid-way between the town and campus

Liked the location - very far from me near London (!) but it's a decent sized city with a new shopping centre, but still quite historic looking with a cathedral etc., if that makes sense

(Streatham) Campus isn't too far from the city, and the city itself isn't too far from the sea :tongue: (well, when you come from outer London!) it'll be great in the summer time

Liked the campus. They have a multi-million pound development project going on at Streatham called the Forum - it looks great and it'll be open in time for our first year!

There are several very famous Historians currently lecturing at Exeter (obviously this is subject-specific!)

I really like the South-West of England, the weather, coastline (surfing!), countryside (Eden Project, Exmoor, national park/ trust areas) combined with some really nice cities (Exeter, Torquay, 1 hour from Bristol)...

Ooooo it sounds nice! I think it's going to be my insurance to and Sussex my firm where's your firm? I come from outer london to so its a bit far for me in comparison to unis... Guess I'll make my descion when I visit at the end of the month! Thanks for your help!
Reply 983
Original post by Barrack Obama
Well done! Where else did you apply?

Thank you:smile: Well done to you as well! I applied to Durham, Exeter (obviously!!), Birmingham, UEA and Kent. I was rejected from Durham but got offers from the rest. I think Exeter will be my firm and Birmingham will be my insurance. :smile: What about you?
Reply 984
Original post by Contrad!ction.
So, I'm booked onto a visit day. Trains involve 2 changes at places I've never heard of and a midday arrival, meaning I'll miss a couple of tours and a presentation. I'll be leaving from Poole, not too far from Exeter. Then I'll be travelling in the wrong direction to Upwey, wherever that is. Then I'll be on the train to Castle Cary, where I'll sit around and wait for half an hour before finally getting to Exeter St David's. So yeah.

Accommodation talk, finance talk or 'life as an Exeter student' talk? Argh planning is so stressful.

Come and say hi in Harrison 101! (I presume you're going to the Maths post-offer open day?) I'm one of the students helping out, btw the free cake is very good!
So, I'm booked onto a visit day. Trains involve 2 changes at places I've never heard of and a midday arrival, meaning I'll miss a couple of tours and a presentation. I'll be leaving from Poole, not too far from Exeter. Then I'll be travelling in the wrong direction to Upwey, wherever that is. Then I'll be on the train to Castle Cary, where I'll sit around and wait for half an hour before finally getting to Exeter St David's. So yeah.

Accommodation talk, finance talk or 'life as an Exeter student' talk? Argh planning is so stressful.

Hope the journey goes well! If I end up at Exeter I'll have to take 2 trains, in and out of London and then have like a 2 hour journey to Exeter St. David's :s-smilie: wish it was a bit closer! Is it possible you could get a National Express/ Coach instead? Anyway, I advise that you attend the Finance talk if the choice is between those 3. You can walk around the accomodation/ pick up literature (and even take photos!) yourself (in fact, when I was at Exeter for an open day there was a running slide show of info about accomodation and I just watched that for a couple of minutes, and skipped to the parts I was interested in).

The "life as an Exeter student" talk won't tell you anything you couldn't learn from asking a current student (who are constantly leading tours/ avaliable for questions on these open days!) besides, it'll mainly be about generic student services and how much their students love their campus/bar/careers service :rolleyes: Anyway, I definitely advise the Finance talk, a lot has changed for 2012 and Exeter have some great bursary schemes but obviously you have to find out which ones you're eligible for and how to apply for them, also, they will probably include some useful figures for average living costs for different accomodation types etc., which is great for planning budgets!

Have a good time! :smile:

Original post by alexorton
Ooooo it sounds nice! I think it's going to be my insurance to and Sussex my firm where's your firm? I come from outer london to so its a bit far for me in comparison to unis... Guess I'll make my descion when I visit at the end of the month! Thanks for your help!

My firm is going to be Oxford :yep: I come from Milton Keynes so Exeter is a fair journey for me too! Enjoy the open day (hope it doesn't rain all day like it did when I went!) :tongue:
Original post by Jemeter
Come and say hi in Harrison 101! (I presume you're going to the Maths post-offer open day?) I'm one of the students helping out, btw the free cake is very good!

Hey , i havn offer from exeter. Whats it like?
Original post by Jemeter

Ah awesome :smile: My cousin started there in 2011, so I could ask him about Exeter in general, but it would be handy to bug some maths people :tongue: I suppose I could ask my head of maths, but he's 40 so stuff has probably changed since he was there :laugh:

Does it matter if I arrive lateish?

Yeah, I'm a maths person :smile:

Original post by Niki_girl
Hope the journey goes well! If I end up at Exeter I'll have to take 2 trains, in and out of London and then have like a 2 hour journey to Exeter St. David's :s-smilie: wish it was a bit closer! Is it possible you could get a National Express/ Coach instead? Anyway, I advise that you attend the Finance talk if the choice is between those 3. You can walk around the accomodation/ pick up literature (and even take photos!) yourself (in fact, when I was at Exeter for an open day there was a running slide show of info about accomodation and I just watched that for a couple of minutes, and skipped to the parts I was interested in).

The "life as an Exeter student" talk won't tell you anything you couldn't learn from asking a current student (who are constantly leading tours/ avaliable for questions on these open days!) besides, it'll mainly be about generic student services and how much their students love their campus/bar/careers service :rolleyes: Anyway, I definitely advise the Finance talk, a lot has changed for 2012 and Exeter have some great bursary schemes but obviously you have to find out which ones you're eligible for and how to apply for them, also, they will probably include some useful figures for average living costs for different accomodation types etc., which is great for planning budgets!

Have a good time! :smile:

Yeah, I'm not so worried about closeness, just awkwardness. Bath's just as awkward - travel to Southampton to get there :angry: Nah, coaches take even longer and get there even later. Ok, finance talk it is. They're offering me a £1000 bursary if I get AAA, which would be handy. So yeah, I'll just bug current students about everything else.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed yours too :biggrin:

I'm leaving from London. When is the open day again lol?
Original post by Romanorum-Hellas
I'm leaving from London. When is the open day again lol?

It'll be on a Wednesday and the actual departmenty things start at 1pm but there are presentations etc from 9, I think.

Check your emails, there'll be a link/attachment from them.
Anybody for a Masters in Economics. Got my offer letter but can't seem to find to many ppl at the course!
Reply 991
Original post by liviluck
Hahah, I had a similar reaction, it was my first offer and came through a couple of weeks after I sent my application off, so I had one of those 'omg someone actually wants me!' reactions, followed by 'omg it's one of my favourite choices!' haha:biggrin:
woo the EPQ:biggrin: I've done that too, but I did it in the summer holidays after AS/last term, so I'll get my results for that in March, so no idea how I've done in it yet!
hahah yeah, yep 95% sure i'll firm exeter, you? :biggrin:

I'm the same! definitely 95% exeter firm, depends on which offer (if any) Bath gives me! Im glad i did my EPQ during the AS year though all of my mates deferred and are now like wiRGJIAERHGIADHRIGADIGHJ :P
Reply 992
Ah awesome :smile: My cousin started there in 2011, so I could ask him about Exeter in general, but it would be handy to bug some maths people :tongue: I suppose I could ask my head of maths, but he's 40 so stuff has probably changed since he was there :laugh:

Does it matter if I arrive lateish?

Yeah, I'm a maths person :smile:

Last week the proper "official" maths stuff didn't start until 1.45pm with the student life talk in Harrison 004, the stuff before that's just refreshments and us lot wandering around and annoying people with questions! :tongue:
Original post by Jemeter
Last week the proper "official" maths stuff didn't start until 1.45pm with the student life talk in Harrison 004, the stuff before that's just refreshments and us lot wandering around and annoying people with questions! :tongue:

Are there any 3rd/4th years there? I was going to ask about the compulsory projects because I'm more of an exam person. I'm in the middle of coursework right now and it stresses me out so badly. AFAIK Bath's the only uni who don't make their project compulsory for MMath people.

Ah ok, so being late isn't too bad. Train's a nightmare.
I've applied for Flexible Combined Honours (English and History) with Study Abroad and I'm still waiting on a reply :frown: Though I'm really confused at the minute because I just found out that you can't do English and History ordinary joint honours at the main campus and I don't want to go to Cornwall! It didn't say Cornwall for the course on UCAS so I still have hope. Does anyone else know if it will be Cornwall?
Original post by la-penseur
I've applied for Flexible Combined Honours (English and History) with Study Abroad and I'm still waiting on a reply :frown: Though I'm really confused at the minute because I just found out that you can't do English and History ordinary joint honours at the main campus and I don't want to go to Cornwall! It didn't say Cornwall for the course on UCAS so I still have hope. Does anyone else know if it will be Cornwall?

Flexible joint honours is different from normal joint honours, if you're worried, phone up admissions and they'll confirm which campus it is.
Original post by DurhamLady
Congrats on offers guys :smile:
Applying for FCH, English and History
3A* predictions as well as an A* prediction in the EPQ.
Have an offer from Liverpool but no word from Exeter, Edinburgh, Nottingham or Cambridge yet.
*Sighs*

I know you posted this ages ago haha but do you know if the FCH English and History is in Cornwall or the main campus?
Original post by Historophilia
Flexible joint honours is different from normal joint honours, if you're worried, phone up admissions and they'll confirm which campus it is.

Yeah I think I'll email them tonight! :smile:
Original post by la-penseur
I know you posted this ages ago haha but do you know if the FCH English and History is in Cornwall or the main campus?

Main Streatham Campus, as long as you specify it's English and History you want to study, you'll come out with that degree.
Good luck - I'll hopefully see you there :smile:
I think my firm is the Streatham campus
Insurance is the Cornwall campus

I somewhat like Exeter :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending