The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Whether they - or any other uni - take people who just miss out on their offer depends on so many things that no-one can really answer that question, to be honest. How many offers people made their firm or insurance; how many of those people actually got the grades or missed out on them... They're trying to hit a specific target in terms of student numbers, without knowing how many people will or won't accept offers, and how well they'll do - if it works out in such a way that they have the right number (or more than enough) students to fill all the available places, they won't be likely to accept people who miss their offers, however narrowly. If, on the other hand, it goes the other way, then they'd be more likely to think seriously about taking someone who'd just missed out. No-one can really know, until results come out, whether that's the case or not.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by ellasmith
That's probably why you have been given a lowered offer because you are taking an extra alevel!

I think generally across the board most courses require anything from A*AA-AAB with the exception of a few courses offering ABB.

Not to sound pessimistic, but once you've been given the offer that is what they are going to expect you to achieve, because there are 3 applicants per place. Unless your course happens to end up in clearing (doubt it from exeter) then you're probably not going to get in if you miss the offer :frown:

That's not a lower offer really :-P the only people ive seen with a higher offer for my course (AAA) are those with predicted grades of above AAA (like my friend at school) and they do say their offers range from ABB-AAA for my course :L

EDIT: Sorry didnt want to sound moody, just really want to get into Exeter so bad :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1382
Is Exeter uni quite international? If so does anyone know what nationalities are represented there?
Original post by RPM1
Is Exeter uni quite international? If so does anyone know what nationalities are represented there?

From what I've heard it's predominantly white, which is slightly worrying but as long as everyone gets on, it shouldn't be a major problem :s-smilie:
Reply 1384
Original post by Cheddar
From what I've heard it's predominantly white, which is slightly worrying but as long as everyone gets on, it shouldn't be a major problem :s-smilie:

That's what i thought... -.- I went for the open day and didn't see too many internationals, even though on their website they boast about their international students! I've grown up surrounded by international people, so I really hope I can fit in at Exeter :frown:
Original post by Stevo F
That's not a lower offer really :-P the only people ive seen with a higher offer for my course (AAA) are those with predicted grades of above AAA (like my friend at school) and they do say their offers range from ABB-AAA for my course :L

EDIT: Sorry didnt want to sound moody, just really want to get into Exeter so bad :/

I know, I understand what it's like to want to get into Exeter really bad. I just don't want to give you false hopes. The bottom line is with experiences from my friends if you don't meet your offer, you don't get in. This is similar for most Russell group/desirable universities. They just have so many strong candidates why would they accept someone who didn't meet their offer? Universities are businesses at the end of the day; they aim to strengthen their institution as much as possible. In turn this will mean higher applicants of higher standards which in turn leads to an increased amount of govt. funding and partnerships with elite businesses in the working world etc etc.

Like I said previously, the only chance you will get in making it into your course without meeting your offer would be if it happened to end up in clearing.

So to avoid disappointment get off TSR and crack on with your revision :P
Original post by RPM1
That's what i thought... -.- I went for the open day and didn't see too many internationals, even though on their website they boast about their international students! I've grown up surrounded by international people, so I really hope I can fit in at Exeter :frown:

No! There are loads of asian students there. So many!
Original post by ellasmith
No! There are loads of asian students there. So many!

have to agree with this, saw lots at the open days i've been to
Reply 1388
Original post by Stevo F
have to agree with this, saw lots at the open days i've been to

:confused: I must have missed them completely. But apart from Asians do you know of any European nationalities?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1389
Hooray! I have enough marks in all my courses now! I'm coming to Exeter! H01Hl.gif
Everyone talking about the possibility of missed offers is making me sad :frown:. If I don't get into Exeter, I shall be in a ball crying until I stop breathing. My life will literally be over.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
EDIT: Comments removed after being contacted by member of staff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RPM1
:confused: I must have missed them completely. But apart from Asians do you know of any European nationalities?

not really, but then I can't really comment, I've only been there for 2 open days...
Maybe I'll have a better idea at the end of June, I'm doing a pre-university 3 day course there for physics, staying in Exeter accommodation :smile:
Reply 1393
Original post by I Gurn Hard

I'll add another post later in case I feel there's more to say, but for now, if you want to ask any questions about Exeter, or the Politics, Economics and English (my new course) courses, please PM me :smile:

Although a lot of your points are totally valid, I do have to disagree with every academic being useless. Yes there are one or two who can't be bothered to help students, but I've found that the overwhelming majority of my lecturers have been more than willing to help if people were stuck with things; one of them even arranged extra tutorials in the Ram for people who wanted them!
I'm no expert on the nightlife as clubbing's not my thing, but there are plenty of other places of an evening such as the Impy, 44 Below etc. which are more relaxed than clubs.
And yes there are lots of "rahs", as with you I'm from a poor background, but just because you live with people who have a different way of life doesn't mean you should worry about becoming best friends with them. The majority of my flatmates are fairly close to being rahs, and it may have been difficult at first when it became clear that we weren't going to be bosom pals, but I went out, joined societies and met other people who weren't so preoccupied with how much money everyone had, and it's been great!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jemeter
Although a lot of your points are totally valid, I do have to disagree with every academic being useless. Yes there are one or two who can't be bothered to help students, but I've found that the overwhelming majority of my lecturers have been more than willing to help if people were stuck with things; one of them even arranged extra tutorials in the Ram for people who wanted them!
I'm no expert on the nightlife as clubbing's not my thing, but there are plenty of other places of an evening such as the Impy, 44 Below etc. which are more relaxed than clubs.
And yes there are lots of "rahs", as with you I'm from a poor background, but just because you live with people who have a different way of life doesn't mean you should worry about becoming best friends with them. The majority of my flatmates are fairly close to being rahs, and it may have been difficult at first when it became clear that we weren't going to be bosom pals, but I went out, joined societies and met other people who weren't so preoccupied with how much money everyone had, and it's been great!

Maybe the Maths department is different, but I know the support I received from SSIS was dire (on the academic side of things). The admin staff/course conveners were amazing though.
Original post by RPM1

My friend and I were wondering the same thing. I hope Freshers will be a good chance to ease the worry and do some mingling. Hope I get in so bad!
Reply 1396
Haha, did anyone check out La Touche? It was decked with asians xD
Reply 1397
Original post by YaniClovers
My friend and I were wondering the same thing. I hope Freshers will be a good chance to ease the worry and do some mingling. Hope I get in so bad!

Yeah all we can do is wait and see now! Whereabouts are you coming from? Good luck in you exams!!
Hey!
Is anyone doing clinical science?
Original post by RPM1
Yeah all we can do is wait and see now! Whereabouts are you coming from? Good luck in you exams!!

I'm from London, and thank you. Whereabouts are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending