The Student Room Group

Potentially made a mistake, Birmingham or Warwick

Scroll to see replies

OP, that e-mail is just an advert for adjustment/clearing. It's not a definate statement that you have a place. Also, do not go to Birmingham, and do not commute in. Go to Warwick, and move there. 2 years is not a long enough time to think about actually going to a different university for the sake of the relationship. On the other had, 2 years is long enough that you should be able to survive apart from each other during term times. If you must stay, then commute to Warick - but do not, DO NOT choose a worse university because of a girl. Don't do it.

Original post by Craig_D
Explain :s-smilie:

If you're serious, well ... I will be utterly confused as to how your university and that email are linked.

If you're joking, you are truly the most bizarre troll I have ever read. Ever.
The Birmingham clearing/adjustment department sent it to everyone who declined an offer. It's a joke, and IMO, marketing genius. There's several threads about it on TSR, with the general opinion being that it's 'creepy'. Who knows - it's genuine though.
Reply 21
Original post by Kareir
you sure that wasn't from your girlfriend?

Why has nobody else noticed this.... I may be hungover but I'm ****ing confused.
Reply 22
Original post by Craig_D
You're treating this thread as rather normal, but are you not somewhat perturbed - as I am - by the contents of the OP? :confused:

Haven't you read the other posts? Several people seem to have received the same email.
Reply 23
Original post by tailschao
The Birmingham clearing/adjustment department sent it to everyone who declined an offer. It's a joke, and IMO, marketing genius. There's several threads about it on TSR, with the general opinion being that it's 'creepy'. Who knows - it's genuine though.

Wow, that is truly one of the most bizarre ploys I've ever heard. Incredibly bold of them. Thanks for the info.
Reply 24
Original post by stifa
Haven't you read the other posts? Several people seem to have received the same email.

I seen the mentions of others in this thread, but I was so confused by the concept of it being genuine that I thought they were either referring to another email, were joking, suffering from a mass delusion, or I was suffering from a delusion. As for the other threads on the topic, seems that somehow I've entirely missed them; guess I'm not very informed on all the UCAS applications this year. I still think it's a bizarre tactic.
If I were you I'd move into accommodation at Warwick as otherwise it would most probably affect your social life and your degree! You'd still be able to see your girlfriend every week if not more! You'd be lucky to live so close as there are people who are going to stay together even thoigh they're like 5+ hours apart!!!!
Original post by Craig_D
You're treating this thread as rather normal, but are you not somewhat perturbed - as I am - by the contents of the OP? :confused:

I thought it sounded stupid and troll-y but now I think about it it could just be a jokey light-hearted email from birmingham to try attract students by seeming relatable almost? Just a fun way of marketing really - not sure if anyone else has had one though.

EDIT: Just read above and yeah seems like it's all a fun clever marketing scheme. I like it to be honest!
Reply 27
Original post by hassi94
go to Birmingham and then say goodbye to research + PhDs at top institutions and top banking/finance jobs.

Simply not true, I didn't go to Birmingham but I would say you have minimal extra impact by having Warwick on your CV than Birmingham.

You don't get a job by going to Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial etc. There is lots more you need to do.

TSR members place too much emphasis on the university they go to. I know plenty of C*nts that go to Oxbridge, would they fit well into an organisation? No. Would they fit well into a separate building working by themselves? Yes. I'm not saying this is true for the majority that go to top unis, I'm just saying you need so much more than to write a university name on your CV to get a decent job.

Back to the topic theme.... I would vote Warwick if you want to study hard and dislike the city life. I would vote Birmingham if you enjoy the city life, like to party a little and like to study a little.

Ignore the girlfriend. It will probably go tits up in the next year or so, quite a defining period, if you really want to make a go of it then go to your local uni.
Original post by simstar
Simply not true, I didn't go to Birmingham but I would say you have minimal extra impact by having Warwick on your CV than Birmingham.

You don't get a job by going to Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial etc. There is lots more you need to do.

TSR members place too much emphasis on the university they go to. I know plenty of C*nts that go to Oxbridge, would they fit well into an organisation? No. Would they fit well into a separate building working by themselves? Yes. I'm not saying this is true for the majority that go to top unis, I'm just saying you need so much more than to write a university name on your CV to get a decent job.

Back to the topic theme.... I would vote Warwick if you want to study hard and dislike the city life. I would vote Birmingham if you enjoy the city life, like to party a little and like to study a little.

Ignore the girlfriend. It will probably go tits up in the next year or so, quite a defining period, if you really want to make a go of it then go to your local uni.

I am over-exaggerating because I think it's ridiculous he's considering going to a worse course at a worse uni (for the subject + prospects at least) over one he preferred just because he wants to stay living somewhere with his girlfriend. Plus doing research/PhDs isn't about organisations -it's about working in a separate building working by themselves (or at most small groups but academic nonetheless). And banking is very focused on what university you go to - and in the end warwick is better for him. We're talking about 1 person here - he is the same person whether he goes to Warwick or Birmingham so you can't bring in personality as being important for the job - we're not talking about 2 different people.
Reply 29
Is it only me who doesn't have a ****ing clue what's going on in this thread? What the hell is that original post about? What what whaaaaaaat.
Original post by marmeduke

Dear Daniel,
I know this is slightly awkward as I haven’t been in touch for a while.

I just wanted to take this one last chance to let you know that I have never given up on you and there’s still time for us to be together.

You can’t have been listening when I said that I really am in the top league I’ve had some amazing times with some of the best people ... I’m a great lover of fine art and culture and I’ve travelled the world to broaden my mind and provide the best for you.

Even Usain Bolt wants me.

If, in one of those moments of quiet reflection, you ever wonder how good it could have been, there’s still time; take a look.

We could be great for each other.

Birmingham sent you that email? Wow! I wish i'd had love letters like that when i decided on Birmingham!
Reply 31
who came up with that idea??
Original post by n1r4v
who came up with that idea??

A good marketeer?

Surprised at all the put-downs on the Birmingham-vs-Warwick thing going on in this thread - is Warwick really so superior to Birmingham? Doubt it in reality.
Original post by emmanottinghil
A good marketeer?

Surprised at all the put-downs on the Birmingham-vs-Warwick thing going on in this thread - is Warwick really so superior to Birmingham? Doubt it in reality.

For Maths, I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that Warwick is on par with Oxford and a bit below Cambridge. Birmingham is a good uni for Maths but that's about it.

marmeduke
x

OP, I've never been in your situation before but you will not want to commute the 90 minute journey into uni each day. If you really want to live with your gf, I suggest you go for Birmingham and not Warwick. If you pick Warwick, live on campus with all the others freshers, make some friends there and stay around your gfs house at the weekend or the odd night in the week.

Also, I go to Warwick and I can safely say that it is intellectually stimulating.
Original post by electriic_ink
For Maths, I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that Warwick is on par with Oxford and a bit below Cambridge. Birmingham is a good uni for Maths but that's about it.

? Have you looked into all the courses at Birmingham in depth then? You must have done to make such a sweepingly silly and unjustifiable statement.
? Have you looked into all the courses at Birmingham in depth then? You must have done to make such a sweepingly silly and unjustifiable statement.

I've just had a look at the Birmingham Maths Dept website. Entrance requirements are AAB compared to Warwick's A*A*A/2 and it doesn't look like Bham do Analysis in Year 1, unlike Warwick where it makes up 20% of the year. So I would say Warwick is a fair bit better. What makes you say otherwise?
Original post by electriic_ink
I've just had a look at the Birmingham Maths Dept website. Entrance requirements are AAB compared to Warwick's A*A*A/2 and it doesn't look like Bham do Analysis in Year 1, unlike Warwick where it makes up 20% of the year. So I would say Warwick is a fair bit better. What makes you say otherwise?

You meant for Maths, which i don't disagree with? Your earlier statement "Birmingham is a good uni for Maths but that's about it" suggests you were saying that Birmingham has no other courses than Maths that are good, but did you actually mean to say "Birmingham's reputation for Maths is good only, not exceptional" or something along those lines? Was just confused about your grammar, but that's perhaps not your area of expertise. :smile:
You meant for Maths, which i don't disagree with? Your earlier statement "Birmingham is a good uni for Maths but that's about it" suggests you were saying that Birmingham has no other courses than Maths that are good, but did you actually mean to say "Birmingham's reputation for Maths is good only, not exceptional" or something along those lines? Was just confused about your grammar, but that's perhaps not your area of expertise. :smile:

Yeah I did. Sorry about that :p:
Reply 38
Original post by hassi94
We're talking about 1 person here - he is the same person whether he goes to Warwick or Birmingham so you can't bring in personality as being important for the job - we're not talking about 2 different people.

Thanks for semi backing up my point, he is the same person, so it doesn't matter between Birmingham or Warwick, they are both good. It would be different if it was somewhere terrible.

Personality is the only difference, they have thousands of 1st from a top 10 uni apply for the top schemes, the personality and extra curricular are the only difference.
Reply 39
Warwick

What's with the letter thing? from Daniel to dan?

Quick Reply

Latest