The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by GH
Do well on the BMAT, and I mean really well (ie top 10 canditate that apply to htat college) and you are in with a shot.

Add in some superb interview preparation and you will have a great chance. Resits be damned.

Like that is not bad enough they were mostly in chemistry but thanks, looks like I will have to destroy the paper...R.I.P Bmat :colone:
Reply 161
When people talk of their UMS on here, and you see statistics generally, are they referring to their average over all AS modules or just your three most relevant subjects?
Reply 162
Anyone applying to Gonville and Caius?
Reply 163
Original post by JMKD

yepp, seem to be quite a few of us around here on tsr :smile:
Reply 164
Original post by crimlex
yepp, seem to be quite a few of us around here on tsr :smile:

I see you're also reapplying (and...also as an 'EU but not UK' student:wink:) What are you doing during your gap year? I hope we both get in this time!
Does anyone know which colleges put emphasis on s3 of the bmat like the 400q book says?

Why don't they just tell us!! :frown: lol
Original post by JMKD

yo also for caius :smile: but i'm international
Reply 167
I've heard there are lots of people that only get an offer from Cambridge and get rejected from the rest 'cause their application is very academics-oriented. Does this hold some truth?
Reply 168
Hey,
Magdalene Applicant here :smile:
Does anyone know if they specify the A* for chemistry?
Also, do they interviews occur post BMAT?

Danke!
Reply 169
Original post by d3ano
Hey,
Magdalene Applicant here :smile:
Does anyone know if they specify the A* for chemistry?
Also, do they interviews occur post BMAT?

Danke!

Yes, the interviews take place in december.
Here you can find information about how the colleges use the BMAT score:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1775130

For your college it says:
"We would usually interview applicants who achieved an average of 93% or above in their three most relevant subjects as long as they then scored A, A, in the first two sections of the BMAT. We may also choose to interview some people who score lower than this at our discretion"
Reply 170
Original post by JMKD
Yes, the interviews take place in december.
Here you can find information about how the colleges use the BMAT score:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1775130

For your college it says:
"We would usually interview applicants who achieved an average of 93% or above in their three most relevant subjects as long as they then scored A, A, in the first two sections of the BMAT. We may also choose to interview some people who score lower than this at our discretion"

Thanks very much!
I'm now concerned, as I thought the average needed was 90%
At AS I got:
Chem 91%
Maths 90%
Physics 94%
Biology 98%
Psychology 95%

Do people think this would do? Also, what exactly is an 'A' in section 1 and 2 of the BMAT, out of nine what would this be? Does anyone know?

Thanks again!
Reply 171
Original post by d3ano
Thanks very much!
I'm now concerned, as I thought the average needed was 90%
At AS I got:
Chem 91%
Maths 90%
Physics 94%
Biology 98%
Psychology 95%

Do people think this would do? Also, what exactly is an 'A' in section 1 and 2 of the BMAT, out of nine what would this be? Does anyone know?

Thanks again!

From the same post:
"Some colleges will ask for BMAT grades in "letters". An A in 2010 was 6.2 and a B should be 5.4. I don't know how these grades are calculated each year but they are based on candidates performances. Hence they will vary each year."

Well, you have an average of about 93% so don't worry.

Good luck!
Reply 172
Original post by ivegotluckyscrubs
Does anyone know which colleges put emphasis on s3 of the bmat like the 400q book says?

Why don't they just tell us!! :frown: lol

Because the relevance of S3 changes.

Let me give you a real life example.

5 years ago, S3 was worth 50% of total BMAT weighting for a college beginning with P, now it is far less. Still important. Other colelge many up titrate their weightings. Dpeends on how htye view performance of cohorts do with different weightings from year to year.

If you get a 1A in S3, then the Director of studies would have to be very ballsy in selecting you, considering 50% of the medical exams in Cambridge are based on essays! (And not to mention all the supervision work!, lol at least hte ones I set)
Original post by GH

5 years ago, S3 was worth 50% of total BMAT weighting for a college beginning with P, now it is far less. Still important. Other colelge many up titrate their weightings. Dpeends on how htye view performance of cohorts do with different weightings from year to year.

If you get a 1A in S3, then the Director of studies would have to be very ballsy in selecting you, considering 50% of the medical exams in Cambridge are based on essays! (And not to mention all the supervision work!, lol at least hte ones I set)

Thanks for replying- had a bit of trouble figuring out what you were saying but got the gist of it!
Just have to do well to be safe! :smile:
Original post by GH

Peterhouse or Pembroke?
Reply 175
Can't wait for the BMAT to be over now. Then (hopefully) just the interview hurdle to go.
Guys, best of luck in the BMAT. I know how much this means to all of us.
Reply 177
Hello, i was wanting to ask you guys quick question if you don't mind i ask. Having poor gcse ex. AAAABB (french A or A* currently taking) a hinder? Next year i am considering to apply to Cambridge (Peterhouse, trinity hall, st Catherine or wolfson). I got extenuating circumstance (surgery and missed gcse option and given rubbish and got educational welfare officer on school, but they were defiant). Hopefully i will get all As in AS, and ideally do well in bmat. Do you think its a waste of option? If not and its possible which colleges should i apply? Thanks for reading, i can't really tell this to my advisor (useless).
Original post by NitroAbdi
Hello, i was wanting to ask you guys quick question if you don't mind i ask. Having poor gcse ex. AAAABB (french A or A* currently taking) a hinder? Next year i am considering to apply to Cambridge (Peterhouse, trinity hall, st Catherine or wolfson). I got extenuating circumstance (surgery and missed gcse option and given rubbish and got educational welfare officer on school, but they were defiant). Hopefully i will get all As in AS, and ideally do well in bmat. Do you think its a waste of option? If not and its possible which colleges should i apply? Thanks for reading, i can't really tell this to my advisor (useless).

I think the general advice is that bad GCSEs will be disregarded in light of very good AS grades. They care a hell of a lot more about how well you do at AS than how well you do at GCSE.
Reply 179
Anyone else applying to St John's?

Latest

Trending

Trending