The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drcp23
262 places last year but they are reducing that number this year to 240-250. They should be giving out approx. 270 offers with no fixed number for graduates / school leavers

Oh no! Really?:frown: Where did you hear that?
Reply 581
Original post by DoctorDeL'avenir
Oh no! Really?:frown: Where did you hear that?

I'm pretty sure they mentioned something like that on the day of the interview but I know someone involved with the admissions and he told me that as well.:wink:
Thanks for the info!:smile: It's a pity that there will be fewer places this year. Hopefully they'll be taking more graduates than last year!:smile:

I wonder how many grad applicants there were this year, actually. There only seemed to be about 5 in my interview group. I really expected to see more there.
Reply 583
Original post by DoctorDeL'avenir
Thanks for the info!:smile: It's a pity that there will be fewer places this year. Hopefully they'll be taking more graduates than last year!:smile:

I wonder how many grad applicants there were this year, actually. There only seemed to be about 5 in my interview group. I really expected to see more there.

Well everyone seemed to be a graduate on my interview day. I'd rather be up against more school leavers tbh because in theory we should perform better. We all have roughly a 1 in 2 chance of an offer, which is pretty good i suppose. :smile: Hopefully one will arrive this week!
Original post by drcp23
Well everyone seemed to be a graduate on my interview day. I'd rather be up against more school leavers tbh because in theory we should perform better. We all have roughly a 1 in 2 chance of an offer, which is pretty good i suppose. :smile: Hopefully one will arrive this week!

Yeah, same. Still, I'm sure a lot of school leavers performed just as well as the grads! A 1 in 2 chance is great, but the competition for med school is really fierce! I'm really nervous! Hopefully we will all get good news this week!!
Oh so if 20% of places go to grad's then that's only 54 offers... 1 in 9 chance of getting an offer? This makes me sad. :frown: Percentage/Fractions are bad!

EDIT: Just seen "no fixed places for grad/undergrad". Feeling better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 586
Original post by Doctor2b
Dundee - rejected
Queens - no word
Glasgow - no word
Aberdeen - no word.

Glasgow and abdn will be rejections (not pessimism they have both stopped interviewing and i have no interview)

Unfortunatly this is my gap year. Queens was definatly my first choice the whole way. At least i made it to interview and that means that queens either give me unconditional or unsuccessful (as i have my grades already)

Ive said this every week for the last 4 weeks but maybe this week. Dont Like this waiting game. Didnt. Mind doing the interview it was just the waiting after.

I'm in the same positions as you - on a gap year and Glasgow didn't even get back to me either. Perhaps they don't like gap year applicants...either way, waiting around sucks!
Reply 587
Original post by dee1334
I'm in the same positions as you - on a gap year and Glasgow didn't even get back to me either. Perhaps they don't like gap year applicants...either way, waiting around sucks!

Ino its really annoying. 12 days till the 1st of April - First of april is a Sunday. I reckon that queens will send post either on a wednesday to arrive by friday or on friday to arrive by monday. Either way i think that all the decisions have been made at this stage and envelopes with our names and fates are on the desk in someones office at this stage. :s-smilie:
Reply 588
Original post by drcp23
262 places last year but they are reducing that number this year to 240-250. They should be giving out approx. 270 offers with no fixed number for graduates / school leavers

So just to be clear, it is possible then (although unlikely), that all places could be filled by graduates assuming they all out-performed school leavers and there was enough graduates to fill the places?
Reply 589
Original post by Allego
So just to be clear, it is possible then (although unlikely), that all places could be filled by graduates assuming they all out-performed school leavers and there was enough graduates to fill the places?

As far as i know - if they are giving out 270 offers, the top 270 performers at interview will fill these places. So if there are 270 graduates and they all performed the best at interview then they will be given the places.
Reply 590
As far as i know - if they are giving out 270 offers, the top 270 performers at interview will fill these places. So if there are 270 graduates and they all performed the best at interview then they will be given the places.

Very interesting. I assumed they would have had some kind of cap on graduate entrants.

The opposite is also true, although equally unlikely, if school leavers perform best then they fill the top 270 places. If there is no fixed cap on either, it's likely to be quite equal...although I guess it does depend on other factors too for each candidate. But one would assume that a graduate could perform better in the MMIs given their better experience.

All in all, depends on the individual I guess.
Reply 591
Original post by Allego

Not in the slightest. The vast majority of graduates were interviewed separately in February precisely for this reason. They will be compared against their peers and you will only be compared against other school leavers. No doubt QUB have an idea of the breakdown they want between school leaver : graduate next year, I'd say somewhere in the region of 60:40, but the idea that graduates will steal school leaver places is ridiculous. To put it simply, you're in the league to be that 60%, you're only competing with fellow school leavers.

It's 350 offers for 250 places. Graduates are treated separately and compared solely against other graduates; the same goes for school leavers. I'd say in the region of 60 school leavers : 40 graduates.

For 350 offers, that's 210 schools leavers getting an offer and 140 graduates. Although, who knows, they might want a more even balance this year, or a greater number of school leavers.

If you want to look at it very simply, there's a 70% chance of anyone who was interviewed getting an offer. Those are very nice odds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 592
Our current first year is actually 1 in 4 grads so a lot more than you'd think. They told us they were increasing the percentage of grads for 2012 entry but suppose you'll only know in your welcome week when they tell you your year breakdown.

Also, just to remind you'll get UCAS update BEFORE post. You shouldn't be getting post first :-)
Reply 593
Original post by callumbm
Not in the slightest. The vast majority of graduates were interviewed separately in February precisely for this reason. They will be compared against their peers and you will only be compared against other school leavers. No doubt QUB have an idea of the breakdown they want between school leaver : graduate next year, I'd say somewhere in the region of 60:40, but the idea that graduates could out-preform you is nonsense. To put it simply, you're in the league to be that 60%, you're only competing with fellow school leavers.

More like 350 offers for 250 places. And no, graduates are treated separately and compared solely against other graduates; the same goes for school leavers. I'd say in the region of 60 school leavers : 40 graduates.

For 350 offers, that's 210 schools leavers getting an offer and 100 graduates. Although, who knows, they might want a more even balance this year, or a greater number of school leavers.

If you want to look at it very simply, there's a 70% chance of anyone who was interviewed getting an offer. Those are very nice odds.

Can I ask where you got your figures from? Or are you just making them up? Because I have a VERY reliable source that would suggest otherwise...

Perhaps you know someone who has different figures than what I've been told but hey, believe what you want.

~600 people are brought for interview based on their UKCAT and academic score. QUB don't put a lot of emphasis on the UCAS statement. The MMI scores are then simply ranked from 1 to ~600 and the top 270ish people given offers. Simple. And btw at the MMIs the interviewers are only given your name. Not any indication if you are a graduate or school leaver, so the score is only based on your performance.

However, I know some school leavers that would easily out perform some graduates in MMIs so it's not really a massive advantage being a graduate. It really just comes down to what you're like as a person and how you come across.

Best of luck everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 594
Yes there is alot of information here which contradicts what other posters have said. I think I will have a look and see if I can get some more detailed information from admissions on what the actual criteria is.. i.e. is everyone judged together or are school leavers and graduates ranked differently.
Reply 595
Original post by drcp23
Can I ask where you got your figures from? Or are you just making them up? Because I have a VERY reliable source that would suggest otherwise...

Perhaps you know someone who has different figures than what I've been told but hey, believe what you want.

~600 people are brought for interview based on their UKCAT and academic score. QUB don't put a lot of emphasis on the UCAS statement. The MMI scores are then simply ranked from 1 to ~600 and the top 270ish people given offers. Simple. And btw at the MMIs the interviewers are only given your name. Not any indication if you are a graduate or school leaver, so the score is only based on your performance.

However, I know some school leavers that would easily out perform some graduates in MMIs so it's not really a massive advantage being a graduate. It really just comes down to what you're like as a person and how you come across.

I second This.

I was told in my interview that the top 500 made interview (based on pre interview selection.)

The interviewees are then ranked based on their final interview score. (I was told that when offers/rejections are received that you should receive your standing i.e. 1st out of 500, 2nd out of 500 etc)

Then the top (however many offers are to be given out) are made offers. So the top 270 or so people will receive offers regardless of situation i.e. school leaver, graduate.
Reply 596
Original post by drcp23

No. My figures are not made up. My source is the head of medical admissions at QUB from a speech and follow up conversation. If my word is not good enough for you though, here's it straight from QUBs website:

The top circa 500 applicants will then be considered under stage 2 of the selection process which will be a nine station multiple mini interview (MMI) to determine non-cognitive performance. Source

The vast majority of graduates were interviewed in the February cohort, rather than last year with the school leavers. This was done deliberately. The only real exceptions to this are those who couldn't make their assigned dates. Even if you didn't intend to treat school leavers and graduates differently (which they do intend to), any statistician worth their salt is going to interview them all on separate dates to see what correlation, if any, there is as this is the first year of full blown MMIs for medicine and the process must appear transparent and to recognise any lessons that need to be learnt for the following year.

Queens always have kept tight control over school leaver / graduate proportions in medicine. They'll continue to now. They can't allow themselves to enter a situation where they openly encourage school leavers to apply yet disadvantage them in the application processs. I'm guessing the rankings out of 500 will be scaled, much in the same way GCSEs and A Levels are, and in such a way that (for example) the top 60% of school leavers and top 40% of graduates are scaled into the top 350 and therefore receive offers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 597
Original post by callumbm
No. My figures are not made up. My source is the head of medical admissions at QUB from a speech and follow up conversation. If my word is not good enough for you though, here's it straight from QUBs website:

Link.

And no, the interviewers may not have your names. However, the vast majority of graduates were interviewed in the February cohort, rather than last year with the school leavers. This was done deliberately. The only real exceptions to this are those who couldn't make their assigned dates. Even if you didn't intend to treat school leavers and graduates differently (which they do intend to), any statistician worth their salt is going to interview them all on separate dates to see what correlation, if any, there is as this is the first year of full blown MMIs for medicine and the process must appear transparent and to recognise any lessons that need to be learnt for the following year.

I was interviewed back in December. I am a graduate and I know 7 other graduates who were interviewed on the same day. Does that mean Queens thought we were school leavers and we'll just come across a bit more mature and look older? Plus there was a 27 year old post doc in my group of 12. Doesn't really seem to fit your theory... So you're source is Dr Keith Steele I'm guessing? That's not what he said back in December or what I've been told since. Weird... Ah well, we'll wait and see I suppose
Reply 598
Original post by drcp23
I was interviewed back in December. I am a graduate and I know 7 other graduates who were interviewed on the same day. Does that mean Queens thought we were school leavers and we'll just come across a bit more mature and look older? Plus there was a 27 year old post doc in my group of 12. Doesn't really seem to fit your theory... So you're source is Dr Keith Steele I'm guessing? That's not what he said back in December or what I've been told since. Weird... Ah well, we'll wait and see I suppose

Graduates were interviewed in February in the last cycle, sorry if I got it wrong on who's interviewed when this cycle. They'll likely marry up your name and whether youre a graduate or school leaver behind the scenes then. The idea that a graduate will be compared to a school leaver is ludicrous though. As I said, 500 interviewed, 350 offers, 250 places, and a split between the offers handed to school leavers and graduates, likely 60:40. Best of luck to all anyway.
Reply 599
So say the 350 that youre saying will be made offers. Why would they do this when there are only 250 places? Does that mean that if everyobe who gets an offer meets the requiremebts and accept what do they do then? I know its unlikely but really they would be scooped as they couldnt possibly turn round and say oh oops theres no space for you anymore. Would they really offer more than the places they have regardless of school leaver or grad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending