The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by remiquaver
What instrument do you play? Research the tutors everywhere, see what they have done/where they have played. And try to find out, on forums or on the internet what their pupils think of them. :smile:
I've heard that Birmingham is very good, I have a couple of friends there and they are outstanding at what they do and they love it there. And I can't imagine the orchestras are going to be at a low standard. Perhaps you could arrange to go listen if you like Brum so much. :smile:
Which London ones have you got into?

I play 'cello. Very happy with both teachers at B'ham. I went to the open day and did think that the orchestra I heard wasn't tip top. It's a shame, maybe they were having an off day and I understand they hadn't been together for long.
I've also go in to GSMD, RCM, RAM & Trinity. There's just something about B'ham that I really like so I may go to the open day again. GSMD also seems a good place but I can't really find out much about the cello teachers there.
Thanks for your comments.
Original post by Musician

I play 'cello. Very happy with both teachers at B'ham. I went to the open day and did think that the orchestra I heard wasn't tip top. It's a shame, maybe they were having an off day and I understand they hadn't been together for long.
I've also go in to GSMD, RCM, RAM & Trinity. There's just something about B'ham that I really like so I may go to the open day again. GSMD also seems a good place but I can't really find out much about the cello teachers there.
Thanks for your comments.

Awww no! Sad to hear your thoughts about the orchestra! You have to do what you want to do though! :smile: If you like the teachers in Brum and think they'd give you the best possible chance then absolutely go there!

You got into RAM? Oh my wow well done! That's absolutely amazing! What do you think of academy? This might be a good move, but you have to like the place and the teaching staff.

Ultimately, you need to go somewhere you love, it's no good going somewhere you don't like for 4 years and having it affect your playing because you're not happy!

And it's ok! Good luck on your decision! And definitely visit everywhere again and see how you feel, your gut instinct will tell you if you'll be happy in a place or not! :smile:
It's not nosey at all! I'm happy to pass on what I have personally found so that people don't get into my position! :smile:

So basically my course is much too sociological for my liking, and not enough of what I would consider to be the best grounding of music i.e. history, and in depth Bach harmony- we literally spent a week on Bach harmony which is no where near enough and on that 'course' (as it's called though module is a better term) we studied a certain type of harmony a week, this is more what I wanted but it wasn't as in depth as it should have been! Also, we have very few contact hours, for instance, last term I was in university for lectures, seminars and workshops for 5 hours a week- that's not even worth £3290 let alone £9000. I'm a performer and that is my strong point and I think I'll get a better academic knowledge at music college! Also, I want to become a professional clarinettist and I couldn't see me achieving this staying where I am!

What do you play? You can always ring up the music colleges in February (I believe) to see if they have any spaces left for your instrument and do a late audition? :smile:

Oooh nice! :smile: I nearly went to Surrey. Not that I've been there! :P My one bit of advice is make sure you research the course thoroughly and read the module specs to make sure you know what you will be studying to make sure it's for you! Where are you applying? And lots of luck! :smile: If there is anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask!

Thank you so much! That's really interesting :smile: I hope it all works out well for you applying for a conservatoire - what do you play? I play piano as first instrument so I doubt there would be any convervatoire spaces left, but never mind - worst coming to the worst I'd quit uni! But I'm in a lucky position that I really like the universities I've been given offers for :smile: Particularly Surrey & Sheffield at the moment.

Not looked at the course contents of both of them though in too great detail so I'll make sure I do that :biggrin: thank you so much for your help & advice on applying etc, it's been really useful!

& Jack - congratulations!! Good luck with both auditions and definitely let us know how they go :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Awww no! Sad to hear your thoughts about the orchestra! You have to do what you want to do though! :smile: If you like the teachers in Brum and think they'd give you the best possible chance then absolutely go there!

You got into RAM? Oh my wow well done! That's absolutely amazing! What do you think of academy? This might be a good move, but you have to like the place and the teaching staff.

Ultimately, you need to go somewhere you love, it's no good going somewhere you don't like for 4 years and having it affect your playing because you're not happy!

And it's ok! Good luck on your decision! And definitely visit everywhere again and see how you feel, your gut instinct will tell you if you'll be happy in a place or not! :smile:

Back to one of your previous posts.... I auditioned for RWCMD on clarinet, but got rejected :frown: In my defence I was ill, but was advised to do the audition as if I had waited til February, they would have probably given out all of the places :rolleyes:
Congrats though!

Out of interest what did you think of the audition?
Original post by blue_star221

Original post by blue_star221
Thank you so much! That's really interesting :smile: I hope it all works out well for you applying for a conservatoire - what do you play? I play piano as first instrument so I doubt there would be any convervatoire spaces left, but never mind - worst coming to the worst I'd quit uni! But I'm in a lucky position that I really like the universities I've been given offers for :smile: Particularly Surrey & Sheffield at the moment.

Not looked at the course contents of both of them though in too great detail so I'll make sure I do that :biggrin: thank you so much for your help & advice on applying etc, it's been really useful!

& Jack - congratulations!! Good luck with both auditions and definitely let us know how they go :smile:

It's ok! :smile: Thank you, I play the clarinet! xD Well you never know! :smile: Just ring them up at the start of Feb becuase then they will have an idea who they need! :smile: You could go to uni for a year, see how you enjoy the course, and take it from there but apply for music college at the start of the year as a back up- by the time offers are needing replies, you'll have an idea what you think of the course! And if you give it up after first year, you'll still get funding for the whole of the music college course (I think). That's my problem at the moment is working out how to fund my first year haha!

Looking at your sig, it seems the universities (from what I've heard and read in TSR) you've applied for are all pretty good! :smile: so lots of luck in your decision! :smile: Keep us informed! And if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24

Back to one of your previous posts.... I auditioned for RWCMD on clarinet, but got rejected :frown: In my defence I was ill, but was advised to do the audition as if I had waited til February, they would have probably given out all of the places :rolleyes:
Congrats though!

Out of interest what did you think of the audition?

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! :frown: Yeah it is always better to do the auditions in October as they only audition in February if they have spaces, maybe due to a candidate deciding to go to uni instead. But you're going to Brum though yes? I know a couple of fourth year clarinets and they are amazing! :smile: So well done for that! :smile: and thank you! :biggrin:

I really liked it and felt really at ease as I knew John Cooper from NYWOW sectionals in my first year and the thing is, I auditioned two years ago so I kind of knew exactly what was coming. Though John Reynolds was head of department then, not Meyrick Alexander. Did you have John Cooper too? And how did you find it? Also what pieces did you play? Paha million questions! :P
Original post by the_lonely_goatherd
well done :d
thank youuuu!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 587
Hey guys, I've got a new student project which can gain you national exposure and experience in music or any other media subjects. If you're interested or want any more information please contact me on [email protected] :smile: x
Can I just say, I've been reading the past few pages, and I'm so chuffed for you all! Everyone seems to be doing really well :biggrin: I feel like there's a very positive vibe in here at the moment!
I totally agree about the positiveness, it's very nice! :smile:
Reply 590
Lovely to read such positive news :biggrin:

And here's some more..

Offer from Chichester!!
Reply 591
Hello all! I'm currently in my final year at Birmingham Uni studying music; if anyone has any questions about the uni/course, I'm more than willing to answer :smile:
Reply 592

Not keen on RAM, it's just not me, so will not be going there and the cello teacher I like teaches at Brum & RAM! Will definitely be visiting places again, thanks for that tip.
Reply 593
Anyone going to the candidate's day at Goldsmiths on the 1st Feb? Or the applicant day at City on the 13th Feb? Cos I am :wink:

Not keen on RAM, it's just not me, so will not be going there and the cello teacher I like teaches at Brum & RAM! Will definitely be visiting places again, thanks for that tip.

Fair enough! And it's good the cello teacher you want teaches at both! :smile: I've found that with welsh col two of the clarinet teachers teach and give masterclasses at Academy!

And it's ok! Let us know how you get on! :smile:
Fair enough! And it's good the cello teacher you want teaches at both! :smile: I've found that with welsh col two of the clarinet teachers teach and give masterclasses at Academy!

And it's ok! Let us know how you get on! :smile:

The whole 'let's teach everywhere' makes no sense! I applied to the RCM and got rejected - the 2 people auditioning me were Tim Lines and Michael Harris. However, at Brum, they both teach (with Michael Harris being the senior woodwind tutor or something!) it makes no sense as one conservatoire can reject you and then another can offer you a place, but you can have the same people teaching you! Crazy!

The whole 'let's teach everywhere' makes no sense! I applied to the RCM and got rejected - the 2 people auditioning me were Tim Lines and Michael Harris. However, at Brum, they both teach (with Michael Harris being the senior woodwind tutor or something!) it makes no sense as one conservatoire can reject you and then another can offer you a place, but you can have the same people teaching you! Crazy!

Tim Lines teaches at Welsh Col too! It is weird but it's good that we'll probably get teaching as good as if we'd gone elsewhere! :P
(edited 12 years ago)

They may have known you applied to both and for the sake of having a balance in instrumentalists, put you in for Birmingham as opposed to RCM?
Tim Lines teaches at Welsh Col too! It is weird but it's good that we'll probably get teaching as good as if we'd gone elsewhere! :P

Yeah it is good! I'm so looking forward to starting...I've got 7 exams first though between now and June :/ What didn't you like about Sussex if you don't mind me asking? I'm assuming you're getting a fraction of the practical lessons that you're gonna get at the Welsh?
Yeah it is good! I'm so looking forward to starting...I've got 7 exams first though between now and June :/ What didn't you like about Sussex if you don't mind me asking? I'm assuming you're getting a fraction of the practical lessons that you're gonna get at the Welsh?

Oh no! Exams are the worst, having said that, I'd rather have an exam than write an essay! :P good luck, though I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine! :smile:

I don't mind at all, it's just not the course for me- it's really sociological and to put it bluntly I really don't care about it! Haha! The modules are rubbish and the thought that I'd have to write a dissertation next year scared me, I know very little compared to what I should! Actually, my clarinet lessons are what has kept me there, I get to go to Trinity in London for 18 hours worth of lessons a year with Hale Hambleton- and I can confidently say I wouldn't have got into music college without him! So I am glad I went to Sussex for that reason (I should have went to Southampton but missed the B I needed by 2 marks!) haha! Kind of makes me think that things happen for a reason! But there will be a lot more lessons and harmony clarinet lessons too i.e. Eb and Bass that I don't get now! :smile: what A levels are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest