The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
BN? :ninja: Love him :love:

Might have been, I can't remember his name. Really nice guy though.

Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Well done Jack! That's great news! Napier and LCM's loss! What offer have they given you?

Indeed, I was getting quite worried yesterday >.<
They haven't stated the offer yet, I just got a letter in the post saying they're going to offer me a place.

Original post by rhian_lh
I got an offer from Goldsmiths today too :smile: Congrats Jack!

Yay, well done :biggrin: Happy for you. Unconditional I'm assuming?
Original post by jackf1337
Might have been, I can't remember his name. Really nice guy though.

Was he relatively young looking and a bit goofy? If so, that's BN :biggrin:
Reply 782
Congratulations :biggrin: :awesome: :woo: :cool: :yay: :congrats: :danceboy: :biggrin:

Yay, well done :biggrin: Happy for you. Unconditional I'm assuming?

I'd assume so, seeing as I'm not doing any exams or anything it could depend upon, but, like you, I had a letter through this morning and UCAS hasn't updated my track yet :rolleyes:
Just got my offer through from Goldsmiths

"GCE A level
Grade A - Music
and Grade B

GCE Advanced Subsidiary
Grade B"

Doesn't make an awful lot of sense but I'm assuming they mean
A in A2 Music
B in A2 Music Tech
B in AS English Literature

All very well but my predicted grade in music is either a C or a B. Will be incredibly hard pushed to get an A, if not impossible...

I'm going to email them for confirmation of this.

Would it be worth questionning the A grade? A bit unreasonable. They're also not asking for anything in grade 8 guitar or grade 7 cornet...

Oh. And I also got an interview/audition at Salford.

They want 3 pieces, 2 must be ones they have prepared, then you have to play another without a backing track.
Being an electric guitarist... You generally don't ever play without backing tracks, all TrinityGH/Rockschool/RGT pieces have a backing track.

They also want me to sit a theory test :confused: I've had a look and it looks mainly pre-grade 5, which I already have.

And of course, a short interview.

Not sure if it's worth it. Out of the 7 places I've applied, this is by far the most demanding audition and it's by far the least reputable of the lot.
Reply 784
Just got my offer through from Goldsmiths

"GCE A level
Grade A - Music
and Grade B

GCE Advanced Subsidiary
Grade B"

Doesn't make an awful lot of sense but I'm assuming they mean
A in A2 Music
B in A2 Music Tech
B in AS English Literature

All very well but my predicted grade in music is either a C or a B. Will be incredibly hard pushed to get an A, if not impossible...

I'm going to email them for confirmation of this.

Would it be worth questionning the A grade? A bit unreasonable. They're also not asking for anything in grade 8 guitar or grade 7 cornet...

Oh. And I also got an interview/audition at Salford.

They want 3 pieces, 2 must be ones they have prepared, then you have to play another without a backing track.
Being an electric guitarist... You generally don't ever play without backing tracks, all TrinityGH/Rockschool/RGT pieces have a backing track.

They also want me to sit a theory test :confused: I've had a look and it looks mainly pre-grade 5, which I already have.

And of course, a short interview.

Not sure if it's worth it. Out of the 7 places I've applied, this is by far the most demanding audition and it's by far the least reputable of the lot.

Well done on your GS offer! :smile: Although I wouldn't bother emailing to question the A. I reckon you've assumed right about what they mean, but I'm pretty sure the A in music is very important. I remember one of the lecturers saying to me last week that they really do want the A in music, so I guess you just need to work your pants off if you want that one! I've no clue about your other uni though, sorry!
Original post by rhian_lh
Well done on your GS offer! :smile: Although I wouldn't bother emailing to question the A. I reckon you've assumed right about what they mean, but I'm pretty sure the A in music is very important. I remember one of the lecturers saying to me last week that they really do want the A in music, so I guess you just need to work your pants off if you want that one! I've no clue about your other uni though, sorry!

Thanks :smile: I think I'd best, I'd have to get the best part of full marks in my A2 to come anywhere near an A overall :/ And my prediction is a B/C
I don't think there's any point questioning them about the A in A2 Music: they would have seen your predicted grades and decided they want an A in it anyway. You'll just have to work your hardest to get it :smile:

Whilst Salford itself isn't the most reputable uni on the planet, I've heard people speak highly of their Popular Music course. So maybe their interview requirements aren't as outrageous as they first seem :smile:
I don't think there's any point questioning them about the A in A2 Music: they would have seen your predicted grades and decided they want an A in it anyway. You'll just have to work your hardest to get it :smile:

Whilst Salford itself isn't the most reputable uni on the planet, I've heard people speak highly of their Popular Music course. So maybe their interview requirements aren't as outrageous as they first seem :smile:

Might as well get clear clarification. My predicted grade, as I've said, is most likely a C, if not a B. I got a decent C last year. Asking for an A is taking the biscuit a little. I'm not exaggerating when I say I need pretty much full marks at A2 music to achieve an A overall. I like to think I'm good at music but considering my own abilities, other commitments (other subjects, production rehearsals) and the standard of the music department at school, it ain't ever gonna happen.

I've heard the Popular course is great too, but I just applied for Music. Having auditioned (in some form or another) at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, RWCMD, Leeds College of Music, LIPA and Goldsmiths. I can say that Salford are demanding way more than any of those and as an institute they don't have much on those places. Granted, I haven't got far with many of those, so Salford is probably more my wavelength.

EDIT:

Just done some number crunching. I need 293 marks out of 300 to achieve an A overall in Music. To have any real hope of getting an A I'm going to have to retake one, probably two AS modules to have any realistic chance of making it. Surely there is room for negotiation?

I'm just writing an email to confirm the ABb offer as it is slightly unclear and I don't want to assume.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 788
Out of these three - Hull, Huddersfield and Hertfordshire - which one would be the best choice for music technology studies academic only?
Reply 789
Anyone else got an offer from University College, Durham?
Plus, anyone else going for a Cathedral choral scholarship?
:smile:
Original post by quadsas
Out of these three - Hull, Huddersfield and Hertfordshire - which one would be the best choice for music technology studies academic only?

Personally, I'd go Huddersfield - the facilities there are excellent & it has a good reputation for music tech :smile: When I went and looked around I was really impressed, although decided the uni itself wasn't right for me in the end.

Open day at Sheffield today & I am SO pleased - made up my mind about firm/insurance. So I'm going Surrey = firm, Sheffield = insurance :biggrin: Going to make it official on UCAS later this week, then will be sorting out finance & accommodation etc - scary times! But very exciting :smile:
Reply 791
Original post by blue_star221
Personally, I'd go Huddersfield - the facilities there are excellent & it has a good reputation for music tech :smile: When I went and looked around I was really impressed, although decided the uni itself wasn't right for me in the end.

Open day at Sheffield today & I am SO pleased - made up my mind about firm/insurance. So I'm going Surrey = firm, Sheffield = insurance :biggrin: Going to make it official on UCAS later this week, then will be sorting out finance & accommodation etc - scary times! But very exciting :smile:

How exciting! :biggrin: Sheffield is goooood :P
Definitely ABb offer. Will wait until I've been to Salford and heard back from LIPA and then reassess everything I think.
Reply 793
Anyone out there going to Guildhall in September?
Reply 794
Anyone else applied for...

University of West London - Music Performance and Recording
University of Westminster - Commercial Music Performance
London South Bank University - Music and Sonic Media

Got an interview/audition for Westminster so far.
Reply 795
Just heard that I've been put on the reserve list for the BMus at Leeds! I think I'm happy with that... :L
I've got an unconditional for the BA so all is good, but I REALLY want to do the year abroad!!
Well done on your recent offers etc. everyone :biggrin:

I've still heard nothing about interviews/auditions for BMuses (I'm not sure that works as a plural of BMus, actually...) and I'm getting sooooo tetchy. :frown: I got the Grade 5 Piano book a couple of weeks ago because Edinburgh want Grade 5 Piano, and I've been working through it like a demon! I emailed them this morning to say that I can play at Grade 5 level now and that they should take this into consideration. I'm not the greatest at it, but at least it's some indication that I'm capable of undertaking the course. So anyway, I'm hoping this works in my favour.

I'm getting veeeeeery desperate for them to give me a place! :redface:
Original post by christielovesyou
Well done on your recent offers etc. everyone :biggrin:

I've still heard nothing about interviews/auditions for BMuses (I'm not sure that works as a plural of BMus, actually...) and I'm getting sooooo tetchy. :frown: I got the Grade 5 Piano book a couple of weeks ago because Edinburgh want Grade 5 Piano, and I've been working through it like a demon! I emailed them this morning to say that I can play at Grade 5 level now and that they should take this into consideration. I'm not the greatest at it, but at least it's some indication that I'm capable of undertaking the course. So anyway, I'm hoping this works in my favour.

I'm getting veeeeeery desperate for them to give me a place! :redface:

Best of luck :smile:

-

Confirmed my attendance for interview at Salford. Need to play 3 pieces, two of which are prescribed. They say they don't want backing tracks (or discourage it) but every graded electric guitar piece has one (across all exams boards). Not sure what to do...
Just got an email inviting me to audition at Glasgow :biggrin:

On the downside, it's the same day as my actual Advanced Higher French oral exam, and you don't even get given a time for Glasgow, so it's not like I can just go in the afternoon, after my exam. Let the complicated rescheduling begin...
Original post by christielovesyou
Just got an email inviting me to audition at Glasgow :biggrin:

On the downside, it's the same day as my actual Advanced Higher French oral exam, and you don't even get given a time for Glasgow, so it's not like I can just go in the afternoon, after my exam. Let the complicated rescheduling begin...

Congrats. Thats great news - so they've given you an unconditional for the joint honours course, but want to audition you for the single honours music course...a bit odd don't you think?! I'm not saying they would, but if they hated you at the audition, surely they've already given you an offer for one course??!! So glad I didn't apply to Scottish Uni's/Conservatoire as they seem to take an age to reply!

Re. Exam Clash - if Glasgow are uncooperative, try talking to your head of 6th form etc. They may have more persuasive power.... :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest