The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Boggieeiggob
I'm doing my GCSEs as well, so I can't really give the most professional answer. But if you ask me, I'd say you should choose the course that is very well suited to you, because as great as it is having a Cambridge course under your name, it's not exactly any good if it doesn't help you in your career choice because that would be like trying to play tennis with your feet.
But still, I think there's no harm in applying for both :smile:

do you know where you want to go yet?
Original post by Livi_Rome
do you know where you want to go yet?

I'm thinking about Bristol and Edinburgh as my main options, and I'm thinking Birmingham as a lower choice and if all of that fails, I'm thinking Glasgow for a Spanish/Music course. How about you? You thinking of anything else other than Cambridge, Oxbridge and Manchester?
Reply 982
I'm thinking about Bristol and Edinburgh as my main options, and I'm thinking Birmingham as a lower choice and if all of that fails, I'm thinking Glasgow for a Spanish/Music course. How about you? You thinking of anything else other than Cambridge, Oxbridge and Manchester?

Im thinking manchester, cambridge, possibly durham/bristol :tongue:

what GCSE's you doing? :smile:
Im thinking manchester, cambridge, possibly durham/bristol :tongue:

what GCSE's you doing? :smile:

ooh nice, sounds good :P Maybe we'll see each other in bristol ;P
Am I supposed to say every single one or just the ones I chose?
Reply 984
ooh nice, sounds good :P Maybe we'll see each other in bristol ;P
Am I supposed to say every single one or just the ones I chose?

haa the ones you choose or every one if ya want :tongue:
haa the ones you choose or every one if ya want :tongue:

lol, well I'm doing spanish and music, but I dropped art and as extras, I'm doing stats and Chinese. how about you?
Reply 986
lol, well I'm doing spanish and music, but I dropped art and as extras, I'm doing stats and Chinese. how about you?

im doing art, music, drama, hebrew, RS and then the obvs compulsory ones science, english, maths etc...:P So much work and ive barely started :s
whoa, art hebrew and rs. Ergh, I did art but I dropped it cuz it was such a waste of time and took too much of it :/ Yeah, I know what you mean >_>' I think I might have screwed some of my exams ><'

I wouldnt exactly call Birmingham a lower choice. It's entry requirements are AAA-AAB, whereas I believe Bristol are AAB-ABB, and Edinburgh are BBB. tbh if you're only doing your GCSEs, I'd focus on getting them done and then your AS's as that really determines where you can apply anyway...

Fresher 2012 - Birmingham Conservatoire (Music, BMus Hons)
Original post by Philemon
Is it this one?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/294953603918106/

It wont let me join or I dont know, maybe someone wont accept my request -either way, booh! :smile:

Yeah that's the one! You should get accepted at some point soon! I'll have a look and see if I can let you into it! :smile:
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
I wouldnt exactly call Birmingham a lower choice. It's entry requirements are AAA-AAB, whereas I believe Bristol are AAB-ABB, and Edinburgh are BBB. tbh if you're only doing your GCSEs, I'd focus on getting them done and then your AS's as that really determines where you can apply anyway...

Fresher 2012 - Birmingham Conservatoire (Music, BMus Hons)

when I say 'lower' option, I don't mean lower as in I don't prefer it, I mean it's not my ideal option. Probably about 3rd or 4th, that's all.
Well, nothing wrong with planning ahead, is there? :P
I am only doing my GCSE's at the moment however my school is urging us to look into the courses and universities we would be interested in.

Regarding the cambridge course...i will be up to grade 8 in singing and piano and grade 6 or higher in theory so no problem there.

The manchester course is the best course for me because of the performance aspects however a cambridge course (as you said) is great just from the name so im not ignoring that course either.

do you think it is better to have a cambridge course or a course that is very well suited to you? also can you still apply for both and make a final decision when given the offers?

thanks so much :biggrin:

At the end of the day (and this is my own personal opinion, so not saying it's right lol) a degree is a degree, no matter where you get it from. When you're applying for jobs people won't be looking for where you went, they'll be looking at how well you performed at uni amongst other things - so even you're really in to the Oxbridge courses and think you'd do well, I'd definitely go looking at other places too. Places like Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Nottingham etc all have very respectable music departments, but they're still all at the higher end of the scale regarding grades (apart from Sheffield maybe, who gave me an ABB offer this year - but it's still a Russell group uni) they're definitely worth looking at and visiting.

Even though I knew I was going to do a Music degree when I was doing my GCSEs I didn't properly start looking until after ASs. You don't know how well you're going to do so don't worry about it until you get there! But in a nutshell... don't go for Oxbridge cause you think it's the 'best' and that's the only option, you need to consider whether you'd like it there, and there's plenty of other amazing places too :biggrin: (I'd recommend Surrey... wonder where I'm going... haha!)
Original post by blue_star221
At the end of the day (and this is my own personal opinion, so not saying it's right lol) a degree is a degree, no matter where you get it from. When you're applying for jobs people won't be looking for where you went, they'll be looking at how well you performed at uni amongst other things - so even you're really in to the Oxbridge courses and think you'd do well, I'd definitely go looking at other places too. Places like Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Nottingham etc all have very respectable music departments, but they're still all at the higher end of the scale regarding grades (apart from Sheffield maybe, who gave me an ABB offer this year - but it's still a Russell group uni) they're definitely worth looking at and visiting.

Even though I knew I was going to do a Music degree when I was doing my GCSEs I didn't properly start looking until after ASs. You don't know how well you're going to do so don't worry about it until you get there! But in a nutshell... don't go for Oxbridge cause you think it's the 'best' and that's the only option, you need to consider whether you'd like it there, and there's plenty of other amazing places too :biggrin: (I'd recommend Surrey... wonder where I'm going... haha!)

This. In short, wait until you've done your AS levels (or equivalent) and then start looking. Don't go for places purely for prestige or hype. Visit places, decide where you'd be happy living and make pick a course with modules that are right for you.
Reply 993
I'm feeling nosey, so just to let anyone who may have forgotten know: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Music_Offers_2012 :wink:
I am only doing my GCSE's at the moment however my school is urging us to look into the courses and universities we would be interested in.

Regarding the cambridge course...i will be up to grade 8 in singing and piano and grade 6 or higher in theory so no problem there.

The manchester course is the best course for me because of the performance aspects however a cambridge course (as you said) is great just from the name so im not ignoring that course either.

do you think it is better to have a cambridge course or a course that is very well suited to you? also can you still apply for both and make a final decision when given the offers?

thanks so much :biggrin:

I'd say it's definitely worth looking ahead. I think there are a number of things you should consider including location, course content and modules, student satisfaction, rep of the uni and grades required. I've just finished my AS levels and am going to apply for music at Oxford, King's College London, maybe Manchester, as well as RWCMD, trinity, and maybe RNCM.

I think it's really important to decide whether you want the emphasis to be on the academic study of music or practical music performance. In my opinion Oxford offers greater performance opportunities in the modules you can choose throughout the course than Cambridge. In addition, many oxbridge music students get instrumental lessons at conservatoires.
Many music applicants apply through UCAS where you have 5 choices, and CUKAS where you have 6, and see where you get offers from!

Definitely go to the places and look around, read prospectuses, go to open days. Joint course between RNCM and manchester looks crazy hard to get onto but you get the uni experience and academic degree, whilst also getting world class instrumental tuition.

One more thing to bear in mind is that music is a tough world to make money in... even if you don't think oxbridge is necessarily suited to you, having such a respected degree can only help your career prospects. If you CAN get in, then by all means do it! Many graduates go on to do post grad courses at conservatoires, or get great jobs. But don't do something you won't enjoy...
:smile:
Original post by Nooshkabob
I'd say it's definitely worth looking ahead. I think there are a number of things you should consider including location, course content and modules, student satisfaction, rep of the uni and grades required. I've just finished my AS levels and am going to apply for music at Oxford, King's College London, maybe Manchester, as well as RWCMD, trinity, and maybe RNCM.

I think it's really important to decide whether you want the emphasis to be on the academic study of music or practical music performance. In my opinion Oxford offers greater performance opportunities in the modules you can choose throughout the course than Cambridge. In addition, many oxbridge music students get instrumental lessons at conservatoires.
Many music applicants apply through UCAS where you have 5 choices, and CUKAS where you have 6, and see where you get offers from!

Definitely go to the places and look around, read prospectuses, go to open days. Joint course between RNCM and manchester looks crazy hard to get onto but you get the uni experience and academic degree, whilst also getting world class instrumental tuition.

One more thing to bear in mind is that music is a tough world to make money in... even if you don't think oxbridge is necessarily suited to you, having such a respected degree can only help your career prospects. If you CAN get in, then by all means do it! Many graduates go on to do post grad courses at conservatoires, or get great jobs. But don't do something you won't enjoy...
:smile:

It's worth noting that if you do the Manchester course, your instrumental teacher will most likely be from the RNCM anyway, the only downside is you get less hours of instrument tuition than those at the college, or on the joint course

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey I need help! I am going to firm Manchester but dunno how to choose my insurance uni.

I have received conditional offers from Durham, Birmingham and Royal Holloway.

Can anyone tell be more about the music departmentof of these uni and also the environment of town?
(I am an international student and have never been there before._.)

Many thanks:b
Hi everyone,

I was considering Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music as some of my uni options, I just wanted to know what your opinions on this are?

Hi everyone,

I was considering Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music as some of my uni options, I just wanted to know what your opinions on this are?

Hard for us to have an opinion, not having heard you play :p:
Hi everyone,

Bear in mind RCM and RAM are not Uni's they are music colleges. Thus you do not apply through UCAS, but through CUKAS for the RCM and direct with the RAM. They are both extremely competitive to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest