The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hard for us to have an opinion, not having heard you play :p:

hehe, fair enough :P I just meant does anyone think it's any good or bad because I applied for the junior departments in both this year but they rejected me >_>'
Original post by Boggieeiggob
hehe, fair enough :P I just meant does anyone think it's any good or bad because I applied for the junior departments in both this year but they rejected me >_>'

Did they give you any feedback?

They used to audition everyone who applied. I think that's still the case. So if you're willing to pay the money involved and want a shot, then why not go for it! :smile:

They used to audition everyone who applied. I think that's still the case. So if you're willing to pay the money involved and want a shot, then why not go for it! :smile:

Yep. Everybody who applies gets an audition.

What instrument/voice are you applying for? Also remember the RAM has an entrance exam and the deadline for applications for both RAM and RCM (and all other music colleges; Trinity Laban, Guildhall, RWCMD, RNCM, Birmingham Conservatoire, RCS) is October 1st.

Also on a completely different note TLG, have you finished your masters yet? What's your plan afterwards...PhD?

Hope things are good with you :smile:
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Also on a completely different note TLG, have you finished your masters yet? What's your plan afterwards...PhD?

Hope things are good with you :smile:

Just reading for my dissertation which has to be in by 30th August! This is basically me atm = :eek3:

Plan is to eventually do a PhD but to take some time away from academia to get my health together (it's in a poor state atm) and to earn some money to self-fund a PhD. Have been applying for various internships and jobs to start in September so will just see what comes of that, really :yes:
Just reading for my dissertation which has to be in by 30th August! This is basically me atm = :eek3:

Plan is to eventually do a PhD but to take some time away from academia to get my health together (it's in a poor state atm) and to earn some money to self-fund a PhD. Have been applying for various internships and jobs to start in September so will just see what comes of that, really :yes:

Haha! That's a bit like me at the moment with A2 exams...got Geog on Wed and Biology AND Music on Friday! 9hcvurnjf :angry:

Ah, hope you feel better soon :hugs: Good luck with the job hunting! Are you applying for music-specific jobs or just anything that comes up??
Haha! That's a bit like me at the moment with A2 exams...got Geog on Wed and Biology AND Music on Friday! 9hcvurnjf :angry:

Ah, hope you feel better soon :hugs: Good luck with the job hunting! Are you applying for music-specific jobs or just anything that comes up??

Thanks! Am applying for a variety of things, some music-based and some not. Like I've applied for internships at some charities like CAFOD, as well as the BBC. That stuff was all non-musical. Whereas an administrative post has just come up on a big research project in Oxford's Music Faculty, so I'm applying for that :biggrin:
Thanks! Am applying for a variety of things, some music-based and some not. Like I've applied for internships at some charities like CAFOD, as well as the BBC. That stuff was all non-musical. Whereas an administrative post has just come up on a big research project in Oxford's Music Faculty, so I'm applying for that :biggrin:

That all sounds pretty cool :biggrin: Hope you get one of them!

Sounds very exciting! Good luck! :biggrin:
That all sounds pretty cool :biggrin: Hope you get one of them!

Original post by remiquaver
Sounds very exciting! Good luck! :biggrin:

Thankies :biggrin:

Yeah, they basically said that one of my piece's rhythm was a little off but they tried to be fancy about it and said that i 'needed a little more poise'.
For the other one, they said that my hands needed a touch more security in terms of like, hands weights and stuff.
Yep. Everybody who applies gets an audition.

What instrument/voice are you applying for? Also remember the RAM has an entrance exam and the deadline for applications for both RAM and RCM (and all other music colleges; Trinity Laban, Guildhall, RWCMD, RNCM, Birmingham Conservatoire, RCS) is October 1st.

I already applied and auditioned for the junior department and this was the last year I could apply for it because if I didn't get in this year, then they wouldn't accept me next year because I wouldn't be able to get some worthy out of it if I only went for a year.
As for the Senior conservatoires, I won't be applying for it just yet because I'm still only doing my GCSE's <_<'
In terms of instruments, I was applying for just piano but when I apply for the Senior conservatoires, I might apply for/with a folk instrument (called and Erhu)

wow, sounds great! hope you get them :smile:
Original post by Nooshkabob
I'd say it's definitely worth looking ahead. I think there are a number of things you should consider including location, course content and modules, student satisfaction, rep of the uni and grades required. I've just finished my AS levels and am going to apply for music at Oxford, King's College London, maybe Manchester, as well as RWCMD, trinity, and maybe RNCM.

I think it's really important to decide whether you want the emphasis to be on the academic study of music or practical music performance. In my opinion Oxford offers greater performance opportunities in the modules you can choose throughout the course than Cambridge. In addition, many oxbridge music students get instrumental lessons at conservatoires.
Many music applicants apply through UCAS where you have 5 choices, and CUKAS where you have 6, and see where you get offers from!

Definitely go to the places and look around, read prospectuses, go to open days. Joint course between RNCM and manchester looks crazy hard to get onto but you get the uni experience and academic degree, whilst also getting world class instrumental tuition.

One more thing to bear in mind is that music is a tough world to make money in... even if you don't think oxbridge is necessarily suited to you, having such a respected degree can only help your career prospects. If you CAN get in, then by all means do it! Many graduates go on to do post grad courses at conservatoires, or get great jobs. But don't do something you won't enjoy...
:smile:

thank you, i am much more suited to the practical study but am willing to do a bit of academic study as well. that is why i love the manchester course (music and drama course) as there is so much practical involved. i think birmingham has some really good modules as well? i do a lot with the colleges like summer workshops, saturday schools etc... i may go on to one after but thats a while away.... ;p
A level exam this friday. Scary stuff.

Technically I don't have to sit it as I've already done my A2 (I opted to take another year, despite getting into Uni), but I didn't get a very good grade in this module so I'm obviously redoing it.
Kind of questioning the point of it all though. I scraped an okay C at AS, although my poor A2 last year bought it down to a D, however I was literally a couple of marks off a C overall (I wasn't in the best of places).
This year my teacher's given me a low A for my coursework (although the exam board are more than likely to moderate that down) and I'm confident I can get a high B in my performance (my AS performance was 2 marks off an A).
I'm just unmotivated because I need an A to get into Goldsmiths, which is statistically impossible (getting fed up of people telling me I'll get it when I can). The best I can hope for is a B, but I don't know if I can get in with that, and having missed an offer [for a course at a different uni] by a matter of marks last year, I'm not expecting Goldsmiths to be lenient either. I'm on course for my grades in my other subjects (Music Tech and Eng Lit, I could even get an A in either of those) but knowing I'm going to miss my offer is just putting me off everything. I've basically already got the points to get into Salford and I'm really reluctant to go their as I feel I can do better. The main reason though is it's quite far and expensive to travel to, for what the institution is worth, and I don't want to do a foundation year at this kind of institute having taken 3 years at sixth form. There is clearing, but that is a lottery.

Obviously, I could reapply next year but I've no idea what I'd do with my life. I can't go back to school, I have a part time job but I'd rather lick windows than do it full time and I'm not really the type to go travelling.

Uch, does anyone have any wise words?

Sorry this has turned into a life story. I just need some opinions on this from fellow music students :colondollar:
I've actually read on the Goldsmiths forum that they are quite lenient with grades, and care more about your personal statement, reference and whether you're really passionate about the course, particularly with an arts subject like music. You say you weren't in the best of places - are your school aware of that? Might it be worth calling Goldsmiths to enquire, or have your school contact them? I was in a similar situation last year and although I've withdrawn my ucas application now (to apply for music this year!), my school specifically mentioned in my reference that I'd been having a hard time and as a result (I presume) some of my offers were lower than the 'typical offers' listed in the prospectus.
tl;dr - I'd say your first point of call is definitely to contact Goldsmiths and consider your other options afterwards depending on what they say. Hope this helped somewhat :smile:
You're not the only one scared about Friday, Jack - I'm just wishing OCR to be very nice!

I'd definitely go with what Rainshine says - contact Goldsmiths and they might be able to sort out something due to circumstances and the like; personally I wouldn't leave it to just see what happens. What have you got to lose anyway just by asking? :smile:

Considering you got to Leeds/LIPA audition stages you've pretty much summed up for yourself that you probably are too good for Salford, don't feel like you HAVE to go there just because if it's your only choice. Maybe have a look in Extra for courses that have still got places left and make a list just as a 'back up'?

Don't feel like you have to listen to anything I say but I hope this helped :L good luck for Friday too (here's hoping the question on Wagner isn't too nasty!!)
Original post by Rainshine
I've actually read on the Goldsmiths forum that they are quite lenient with grades, and care more about your personal statement, reference and whether you're really passionate about the course, particularly with an arts subject like music. You say you weren't in the best of places - are your school aware of that? Might it be worth calling Goldsmiths to enquire, or have your school contact them? I was in a similar situation last year and although I've withdrawn my ucas application now (to apply for music this year!), my school specifically mentioned in my reference that I'd been having a hard time and as a result (I presume) some of my offers were lower than the 'typical offers' listed in the prospectus.
tl;dr - I'd say your first point of call is definitely to contact Goldsmiths and consider your other options afterwards depending on what they say. Hope this helped somewhat :smile:

I can imagine it's true that they are lenient with grade, however if I only come out with a C as opposed to an A, well that's really going to put it all in jeopardy. I have heard that they only give out 60 offers for 50 places, so I guess that is slightly encouraging.
It's difficult when I say 'I wasn't in the best of places'. My relationship with my (now former) girlfriend had turned very sour (we'd been together 3 years) and that turned really quite horrible over the exam period. I was also moving house and everything was getting a bit much for me. Obviously, just normal problems that people face, or if you're me you just stick your head in the sand. It's my fault for not having the correct priorities.
My Goldsmiths offer is lower than their typical one as my second B in only in AS Eng Lit, as opposed to a full A2 which I wasn't able to complete.
I would contact them, and I thought long and hard about it when I got my offer in January/February, but it'd just be the same as asking them to lower my offer surely? I already hold an offer which is lower than the average one and they'd have nothing to gain by giving me an even lower offer. I also don't want to spoil any chances of 'getting lucky' on results day by potentially having a bad phone call.

Good luck on applying to uni next year.

Original post by blue_star221
You're not the only one scared about Friday, Jack - I'm just wishing OCR to be very nice!

I'd definitely go with what Rainshine says - contact Goldsmiths and they might be able to sort out something due to circumstances and the like; personally I wouldn't leave it to just see what happens. What have you got to lose anyway just by asking? :smile:

Considering you got to Leeds/LIPA audition stages you've pretty much summed up for yourself that you probably are too good for Salford, don't feel like you HAVE to go there just because if it's your only choice. Maybe have a look in Extra for courses that have still got places left and make a list just as a 'back up'?

Don't feel like you have to listen to anything I say but I hope this helped :L good luck for Friday too (here's hoping the question on Wagner isn't too nasty!!)

Yeah me too. I've been doing some past papers and some of them are ridiculously hard :L

I'm skeptical about contacting them (see above). I guess at the end of it all I don't want to damage my chances of still getting in, despite missing my offer, by asking for a lower offer.

Yeah, I also went to Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and RWCMD. I hate to sound arrogant but I do honestly think I can do better. Granted the fact I did get rejected from the four mentioned institutes. I was in a similar situation last August with Anglia Ruskin University.
Are you suggest the courses in extra are the ones probable to come up in clearing? It may be worth making a list. I'll probably do it after exams.
I feel my parents will be pushing me to go this year, considering I've just taken another year at sixth form. Like I said, I really don't want to take my current job on full time. Standing behind a till for 9 hours on a Saturday is too soul crushing as it is :facepalm: Although admittedly, I'd entertain the prospect of doing something different, preferably not customer orientated and if it had anything to do with music then that'd be awesome.

Of course you helped. Thank you. Good luck to you as well. I'm probably going to disregard the Wagner question from the off unless the West Side Story or Dido & Aeneas (or both, god forbid) questions are horrible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I was considering Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music as some of my uni options, I just wanted to know what your opinions on this are?

If you're good enough then go for it!! But you'll have some very stiff competition so worth looking into other options too, and bear in mind it will basically be entirely performance based, so if you were hoping for academic stuff you might not get it so much. I had a tour around RCM, lovely location in London, but I personally didn't like it - There is little to see other than rows of practise rooms, made me feel claustrophobic and cut off. The piano corridor has two steinways in each room though which is pretty cool!!
The Royal schools of music do have a certain prestige about them, but there's no reason to discount other places too, places such as Trinity Laban have good employability rates... And check out who the tutors are in your instrument. I have a friend who is going to RWCMD in september on trumpet who decided against RCM because she didn't really like the brass department there.
I think look around and if you like it by all means apply! Just make sure you have a back up :smile:
Original post by Nooshkabob
If you're good enough then go for it!! But you'll have some very stiff competition so worth looking into other options too, and bear in mind it will basically be entirely performance based, so if you were hoping for academic stuff you might not get it so much. I had a tour around RCM, lovely location in London, but I personally didn't like it - There is little to see other than rows of practise rooms, made me feel claustrophobic and cut off. The piano corridor has two steinways in each room though which is pretty cool!!
The Royal schools of music do have a certain prestige about them, but there's no reason to discount other places too, places such as Trinity Laban have good employability rates... And check out who the tutors are in your instrument. I have a friend who is going to RWCMD in september on trumpet who decided against RCM because she didn't really like the brass department there.
I think look around and if you like it by all means apply! Just make sure you have a back up :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: I wasn't sure which Unis/Colleges/Conservatoires to 'prioritise', if you like, as my choices, and having visited both conservatoires, I have to say I REALLY like them both. But I don't want to immediately prioritise the Universities because I haven't seen them yet so yeah >_>'

Quick Reply

Latest