The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackf1337

Of course you helped. Thank you. Good luck to you as well. I'm probably going to disregard the Wagner question from the off unless the West Side Story or Dido & Aeneas (or both, god forbid) questions are horrible.

Well I don't know what you thought Jack but I reckoned the essay questions were absolutely hideous :L comparing Dido & Aeneas to West Side Story?! Ugh. That really threw me so I ended up doing the Wagner one ('dramatic realisation'? Whaaaaat?!) & then harmony and tonality of West Side Story & Jesus Christ Superstar. Which questions did you do?

The listening was okay, it could have been worse... but overall I really don't feel all too confident about the paper :/ I'm just thinking that I revised SO much, I couldn't have done any more, so even if I do bad it's not like I was lazy and didn't do anything like some of my classmates lol.

Ah well - OCR A Level Music is well and truly over :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by blue_star221
Well I don't know what you thought Jack but I reckoned the essay questions were absolutely hideous :L comparing Dido & Aeneas to West Side Story?! Ugh. That really threw me so I ended up doing the Wagner one ('dramatic realisation'? Whaaaaat?!) & then harmony and tonality of West Side Story & Jesus Christ Superstar. Which questions did you do?

The listening was okay, it could have been worse... but overall I really don't feel all too confident about the paper :/ I'm just thinking that I revised SO much, I couldn't have done any more, so even if I do bad it's not like I was lazy and didn't do anything like some of my classmates lol.

That vocal piece was hideous!! Did not enjoy that at all. Although glad the comparison was a choral work and stylistic features. The 10 marker threw me though!!
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
That vocal piece was hideous!! Did not enjoy that at all. Although glad the comparison was a choral work and stylistic features. The 10 marker threw me though!!

Gosh I know, that was icky! I enjoyed the first part of the piece (the where? where? bit or whatever it was) but the rest of it I very much disliked :rolleyes:
Gosh I know, that was icky! I enjoyed the first part of the piece (the where? where? bit or whatever it was) but the rest of it I very much disliked :rolleyes:

i did the ocr paper too.. couldnt believe my eyes when i saw it was a child of our time as that was the piece we had studied as our comparion! had to make something up about another random piece we had looked at once for a listening practice :s-smilie:

bdw im hoping to study music at nottingham :smile: although at this rate i might be going to leeds ha

Totally agree! The first 8 bard or so were OK, and then it was horrid! If OCR steal my A, I am not going to be impressed on results day :mad:
Reply 1025
Anyone else sit the Edexcel paper last Friday (15th June)?
Fingers crossed we all get the grades we need :biggrin:
Original post by tashberg13
i did the ocr paper too.. couldnt believe my eyes when i saw it was a child of our time as that was the piece we had studied as our comparion! had to make something up about another random piece we had looked at once for a listening practice :s-smilie:

bdw im hoping to study music at nottingham :smile: although at this rate i might be going to leeds ha

Ooh gosh that is bad luck :/ you're not alone in struggling with that part though, we only looked at pieces for the comparison question a few days before, cause we were so behind... I'm hoping to go to Surrey but Music has totally been my hardest subject this year haha! Good luck getting the Nottingham grades, it's really very lovely there :smile: (I was >< close to putting it as my firm!!)

Totally agree! The first 8 bard or so were OK, and then it was horrid! If OCR steal my A, I am not going to be impressed on results day :mad:

Me too. After them marking my coursework from a top A to a low C last year I'm not hopeful they won't change anything this year either. :mad: They are possibly the worst exam board EVER.
Reply 1027

Ditto!! :mad:
Anyone applying who plays the oboe??
Original post by confusedinlife
Anyone applying who plays the oboe??

I play the oboe :smile: although it's not my first study

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1030
Original post by Boggieeiggob
Hi everyone,

I was considering Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music as some of my uni options, I just wanted to know what your opinions on this are?

I thought a lot about music collage when I was looking at unis but ended up not going for it because the academic side's not as in depth and wasn’t 100% set on a performing carrier so wanted to keep my options open!

If you're still not sure when applying just apply for uni and music collage as you can do both because music collage is CUKAS and university courses are UCAS
Manchester also do a really good joint course with Royal Northern or Leeds do a performance course with a year abroad at music collage (that's what I've put down as my firm)

It also depends what you play, I play brass so up north always seemed the best option.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by CRW23
I thought a lot about music collage when I was looking at unis but ended up not going for it because the academic side's not as in depth and wasn’t 100% set on a performing carrier so wanted to keep my options open!

If you're still not sure when applying just apply for uni and music collage as you can do both because music collage is CUKAS and university courses are UCAS
Manchester also do a really good joint course with Royal Northern or Leeds do a performance course with a year abroad at music collage (that's what I've put down as my firm)

It also depends what you play, I play brass so up north always seemed the best option.

Hope that helps :smile:

Hm, I see. Not having studied at a conservatoire, I'll have to take your work for the academic side. But still, I thought conservatoires do more than just teach you performance?

I play piano right now but I might pick up a folk instrument known as the Erhu (look it up if you don't know what it is).
So in terms of unis, I was thinking mainly Bristol and Edinburgh, although Bristol for a postgraduate degree because my old music teacher told me that Bristol has a really good masters degree.

But thanks for the advice though :smile:
Reply 1032
Hi everyone,

I was considering Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music as some of my uni options, I just wanted to know what your opinions on this are?

I'd also suggest that if you've got your heart set on those particular conservatoires then you should probably try and get a few lessons with the teacher of your instrument before you go. My friend really wanted to go to Guildhall and the first 2 times she tried she didn't get in, went and had lessons there, they basically told her what she needed to do for them to want her and she got a place that year.
Even though you obviously have to be INCREDIBLY talented to gain a place at these institutions it's also a bit about who you know too.

But like previous people have said unis offer good courses too. I'm going to Leeds this year and as I'm a singer my voice teacher has suggested I get my academic side done first at uni while I wait for my voice to mature and then I can try conservatoires for postgrad/masters. Apparently it seems to increasingly be the trend for what people seem to be doing at the moment.

Sorry this is late, I've been away to York, then to Munich >.<

I thought the essay questions were alright if I'm going to be honest. I didn't even entertain the Wagner question as I don't really know anything about his work. The WSS and Dido comparison was alright once I got into it. I compared WSS to Sweeney Todd for the other question, although I didn't write an awful lot on Sweeney Todd as I don't actually know that much about it :colondollar:

I thought the section A was pretty good. Definitely one of the most straightforward I've come across. Some of the past papers have been nightmare-ish. I didn't really like the 10-marker though, that was a hard question. Also the comparison, I think it asked for a choral work but I don't know any others (Child of our Time was the only one our teacher advised us on, as there are just SO many different types of music that could come up). I ended up writing a bit about West London (Charles Ives) and how the baritone (or was it bass?) solo's were similar, but the accompaniment was different (sorry I'm waffling).

Overall, I never do well in the written paper modules. I usually get a D/E, most of my marks tend to come from the other two modules. Although I'm relatively pleased with the way the paper went.
Original post by rhian_lh
I'd also suggest that if you've got your heart set on those particular conservatoires then you should probably try and get a few lessons with the teacher of your instrument before you go. My friend really wanted to go to Guildhall and the first 2 times she tried she didn't get in, went and had lessons there, they basically told her what she needed to do for them to want her and she got a place that year.
Even though you obviously have to be INCREDIBLY talented to gain a place at these institutions it's also a bit about who you know too.

But like previous people have said unis offer good courses too. I'm going to Leeds this year and as I'm a singer my voice teacher has suggested I get my academic side done first at uni while I wait for my voice to mature and then I can try conservatoires for postgrad/masters. Apparently it seems to increasingly be the trend for what people seem to be doing at the moment.

Oh I see. Although, I don't quite understand what you mean with your friend. Do you mean they got one of the tutors to teach them a fewtimes outside of the conservatoire or do you mean just their regular teacher? Because my current teacher's son actually goes to Royal Academy, so they both gave me a few tips on the auditions and stuff, but I still wasn't accepted.
As for the unis, I think that's fair enough advice. I was thinking about trying out for Bristol for a postgraduate degree, but maybe I might go for a postgraduate at a conservatoire as well.
Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by jackf1337
Sorry this is late, I've been away to York, then to Munich >.<

I thought the essay questions were alright if I'm going to be honest. I didn't even entertain the Wagner question as I don't really know anything about his work. The WSS and Dido comparison was alright once I got into it. I compared WSS to Sweeney Todd for the other question, although I didn't write an awful lot on Sweeney Todd as I don't actually know that much about it :colondollar:

I thought the section A was pretty good. Definitely one of the most straightforward I've come across. Some of the past papers have been nightmare-ish. I didn't really like the 10-marker though, that was a hard question. Also the comparison, I think it asked for a choral work but I don't know any others (Child of our Time was the only one our teacher advised us on, as there are just SO many different types of music that could come up). I ended up writing a bit about West London (Charles Ives) and how the baritone (or was it bass?) solo's were similar, but the accompaniment was different (sorry I'm waffling).

Overall, I never do well in the written paper modules. I usually get a D/E, most of my marks tend to come from the other two modules. Although I'm relatively pleased with the way the paper went.

I didn't do the same essay questions as you Jack, but obviously did the Tippett's piece. I thought that Section A was OK although similarly thought that the 10 mark question was hard. I was quite pressured for time and so although I wrote several (I hope valid) points,Ii wanted to add more but wasn't quite as speedy as I would have liked on the 2 essay questions. Grr! Are you all finished now? I want an a soooo badly!!
Reply 1036
Oh I see. Although, I don't quite understand what you mean with your friend. Do you mean they got one of the tutors to teach them a fewtimes outside of the conservatoire or do you mean just their regular teacher? Because my current teacher's son actually goes to Royal Academy, so they both gave me a few tips on the auditions and stuff, but I still wasn't accepted.
As for the unis, I think that's fair enough advice. I was thinking about trying out for Bristol for a postgraduate degree, but maybe I might go for a postgraduate at a conservatoire as well.
Thanks for the advice :smile:

Ah sorry, reading it back I wasn't very clear, I tend to waffle on a bit :P She went to have lessons with a teacher from the conservatoire, so for a few weekends she went down to London every Saturday and that way they got to know her and her them. It can be quite difficult though, obvs if you live far away and things like that, and I'm not sure what it would have cost, but in the end it was worth it for her. I think they call them consultation lessons, there might be a bit on their websites about it :smile:

Wooo, someone in the exact same situation as me! Gotta love being a singer don't you...:rolleyes:
Ah sorry, reading it back I wasn't very clear, I tend to waffle on a bit :P She went to have lessons with a teacher from the conservatoire, so for a few weekends she went down to London every Saturday and that way they got to know her and her them. It can be quite difficult though, obvs if you live far away and things like that, and I'm not sure what it would have cost, but in the end it was worth it for her. I think they call them consultation lessons, there might be a bit on their websites about it :smile:

Don't worry :smile:
Oh I see. How did the conservatoire schedule that in? Because I thought the junior departments ran on the Saturdays? Or are you talking about a different conservatoire? >_<'
Okay Manchester is now my first choice after the open day yesterday- the city, the course, the facilities, the concert hall, the student union etc. everything about it i LOVED! Also looking at birmingham possibly, is that any good? I want to go to a russel group university and focus on jazz/popular music- so hopefully my choices are Manchester, King's, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Sheffield. What would everyone say about these universities and the style of teaching, their specialities etc.

Quick Reply

Latest