The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blue_star221
Canterbury Christ Church seems like a good one to go for :smile: I've also heard some really good things about Chichester. There's Anglia Ruskin, Salford and Oxford Brookes too - I took a quick look at Anglia Ruskin and seems like they've got a good course!

I looked at Canterbury & Chichester last year, I might consider it although I think I prefer Kingston/Middlesex.

I don't really rate Salford, doesn't look good on the league tables and Oxford Brookes is a bit too close to home. I got into Anglia Ruskin last year but I didn't like the course enough, hence I didn't go. Thank you for your reply :smile:

Original post by Fleet Foxes
Alls I can say is good luck, both LIPA and LCM are fierce for competition.
You should really think about your other options you should pick options you still want to go too.
(I'm not saying that you can't play because you probs can but don't put all your eggs in one basked and also just remember that although they have minimum grade entry requirements the majority will not have minimum entry requirements hence why it's the minimum.

I recommend ACM,BIMM,Tech Music School. ( As back ups, easy to get into but also if you want to 'study hard' then they'll work in your favour)

LIPA and LCM are indeed very competitive. I think I'd be happy going to Middlesex, it's in the top 30 and they've got a nice course going.
I know what you mean about the minimum requirements, but last year (which was a super competitive year) I got two offers below the minimum requirements (this was for Kingston & Brunel) :P

LIPA and LCM are the sort of institutes that are more audition focused rather than grades, no? Basically like music colleges.

I might apply to ACM for a one year diploma course of some description (if I don't get into uni/music college), then go on to a degree elsewhere. I don't think degrees from those institutes are really that worthwhile, whereas the diplomas seem more sensible.

Original post by Debbie_xx
I've looked around Canterbury Christ Church (CCC) and Chichester (CCD) and they are both fantastic :biggrin:

Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
:hi:

applied last year but due to a lot of complications I decided not to go and I'm reapplying :smile: hopefully to:

Manchester
Leeds BMus
Huddersfield
Leeds College of Music (maybe)

My fourth is undecided, and I've also applied to the RNCM :biggrin:

How are things going for everyone?

Good luck :smile: All very northern, any reason for this?

Maybe look at Glasgow, Newcasltle or Liverpool? (I'm continuing the northern pattern :P)
Original post by jackf1337
Good luck :smile: All very northern, any reason for this?

Maybe look at Glasgow, Newcasltle or Liverpool? (I'm continuing the northern pattern :P)

Haha, I just need to be close to home (which is in the North, in case you hadn't guessed :tongue:) for a variety of reasons! Not to mention that the North is amazing :tongue:
I looked at Canterbury & Chichester last year, I might consider it although I think I prefer Kingston/Middlesex.

LIPA and LCM are indeed very competitive. I think I'd be happy going to Middlesex, it's in the top 30 and they've got a nice course going.
I know what you mean about the minimum requirements, but last year (which was a super competitive year) I got two offers below the minimum requirements (this was for Kingston & Brunel) :P

LIPA and LCM are the sort of institutes that are more audition focused rather than grades, no? Basically like music colleges.

Okay personally.. don't go on the league tables, where your degree comes from means very little. You're better of going to somewhere where it has the best teaching.

Yes of course it's practical however the average entry requirements for example on LIPA and LCM are ( LIPA BBB or DDM) and LCM which although it says CCC the average entry is infact 320 ucas points.

So they're still looking at your grades, it's unfortunate but very true because of course they want as many of their students to get a good degree for example 2:1 etc etc.

Also bare in mind that because LIPA and LCM are so competitive, they often do look at grades.

But good luck with your choices.
Anyone got an audition date for RNCM yet?
So I know this is the 2012 Applicant thread and I don't exactly fit that but I figure you guys will all be great people to ask...
I live in Australia and am hopefully going to apply for 2013 if I find somewhere I absolutely adore. I have relatives near London and have therefore been looking heaps into the unis and conservatoirs around the city, and I keep coming back to KCL. I'm pretty academic and hopefully will meet the entry reqs *fingers crossed*, am playing around grade 8 (im in my second last year of school) and I'm really into the history of music aspect of the subject.
So what do people think of the KCL Bmus?
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Haha, I just need to be close to home (which is in the North, in case you hadn't guessed :tongue:) for a variety of reasons! Not to mention that the North is amazing :tongue:

Ah right fair enough :smile: Yes the north is indeed great :smile: Good luck with your application!

Okay personally.. don't go on the league tables, where your degree comes from means very little. You're better of going to somewhere where it has the best teaching.

Yes of course it's practical however the average entry requirements for example on LIPA and LCM are ( LIPA BBB or DDM) and LCM which although it says CCC the average entry is infact 320 ucas points.

So they're still looking at your grades, it's unfortunate but very true because of course they want as many of their students to get a good degree for example 2:1 etc etc.

Also bare in mind that because LIPA and LCM are so competitive, they often do look at grades.

But good luck with your choices.

I see what you mean but it is hard to ignore the reputation of a uni. Often enough, the better the teaching, the higher it is in the league tables.

LIPA is somewhere I may have to reconsider, I think it may be unrealistic. Wow, 320 is the average for LCM? I'm finding that difficult to believe.

Thanks for your reply, definitely food for thought.

I've been researching more uni's over the past day or so and I've found some more places I'm interested in:
Huddersfield
Goldsmiths
Edinburgh
East Anglia
York St. John

I've got a friend at Huddersfield, she loves it, almost convinced I should apply there.
Goldsmiths looks awesome, may have to settle for the Popular Music course though, thoughts?
Edinburgh, again is a great place, although they want a foreign language at GCSE, grade V piano and grade VII primary instrument, WTF?
East Anglia, not particularly enticed by this one but it's worth keeping in mind.
York St. John, bit of an easy option (like Kingston), will probably steer clear.

I figured it's probably best to leave it another year rather than go to somewhere like Kingston or York St. John. Forgive me for saying this but they aren't the most reputable institutes and I think I can do better.

So, dismissing York St. John and Kingston, I'm down to:
LIPA
LCM
Aberdeen
Huddersfield
Goldsmiths
Edinburgh
East Anglia
Middlesex

I may make 2/3 choices on UCAS, see what responses I get, then if I'm short on offers, apply to Middlesex and maybe Huddersfield, if I get offers, play for Goldsmiths, Edinburgh etc.

Another thing to mention is that you don't have to apply to LIPA through UCAS, so I may use that to my advantage.

Anyway, responses welcome, fire away.
Ah right fair enough :smile: Yes the north is indeed great :smile: Good luck with your application!

I see what you mean but it is hard to ignore the reputation of a uni. Often enough, the better the teaching, the higher it is in the league tables.

LIPA is somewhere I may have to reconsider, I think it may be unrealistic. Wow, 320 is the average for LCM? I'm finding that difficult to believe.

Thanks for your reply, definitely food for thought.

I've been researching more uni's over the past day or so and I've found some more places I'm interested in:
Huddersfield
Goldsmiths
Edinburgh
East Anglia
York St. John

I've got a friend at Huddersfield, she loves it, almost convinced I should apply there.
Goldsmiths looks awesome, may have to settle for the Popular Music course though, thoughts?
Edinburgh, again is a great place, although they want a foreign language at GCSE, grade V piano and grade VII primary instrument, WTF?
East Anglia, not particularly enticed by this one but it's worth keeping in mind.
York St. John, bit of an easy option (like Kingston), will probably steer clear.

I figured it's probably best to leave it another year rather than go to somewhere like Kingston or York St. John. Forgive me for saying this but they aren't the most reputable institutes and I think I can do better.

So, dismissing York St. John and Kingston, I'm down to:
LIPA
LCM
Aberdeen
Huddersfield
Goldsmiths
Edinburgh
East Anglia
Middlesex

I may make 2/3 choices on UCAS, see what responses I get, then if I'm short on offers, apply to Middlesex and maybe Huddersfield, if I get offers, play for Goldsmiths, Edinburgh etc.

Another thing to mention is that you don't have to apply to LIPA through UCAS, so I may use that to my advantage.

Anyway, responses welcome, fire away.

I've also looked at GoldSmiths but can't find any students or videos etc to back up how good Goldsmiths actually is.

So hmm.. it's also one of my options.

Also yes it was an average of 320 according to the Times league tables.

But honestly don't go on the league tables alone, remember that this will also go down to people opinion on University for example LIPA is in the top 30 however there are other courses other than music which you need to take into account.

Also I read that on average theres 5000 applicants and 208 places last year.
Therefore it just shows you what kind of place it is.

I do recommend the TMS & ACM.

Some great musicians DO come from there even if you get a lot of wasters there.
I've also looked at GoldSmiths but can't find any students or videos etc to back up how good Goldsmiths actually is.

But honestly don't go on the league tables alone, remember that this will also go down to people opinion on University for example LIPA is in the top 30 however there are other courses other than music which you need to take into account.

Really tempted by Goldsmiths, looks excellent.
Their entry criteria confuses me. Apparently their standard offer for Music is ABB (BBB for Popular Music) but the general entry requirements are much, much lower. Will link you to these pages if you like.

Those 320 points could include applicants grade 8 passes, I can't see that being purely A level/Highers/BTEC etc.

I only go on the subject tables, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian (I think) do these. I probably wouldn't choose a Uni based on the overall table.

5000 applicants.... 208 places.... Jesus. That's just over 1 in 25 :redface:

LIPA is one of my preferred choices, and I adore Liverpool as a place, but I do think applying there may be a wasted option. Although I do like to think I am a strong applicant musically. I should have diploma level 4 on guitar and grade 7 trumpet by the end of the year, as well as grade 5 theory and extra curricular's which are second to none. My A levels do let me down slightly though. Ergh, so difficult.

I've realised as well that you must apply for Music at LIPA through UCAS. There are a few courses where you don't have to use UCAS.

What is TMS?
I agree about the 'wasters'. ACM looks alright, I must admit. However I wouldn't do a degree there. If I don't get a Uni/music college place this year I'd like to do a diploma at ACM, then go on to a degree elsewhere. Speaking of which, I should apply for soon...

I'm also having second thoughts about Aberdeen as it is the best part of 500 miles away...
Unfortunately that is not including grades which you have done for LCM.
Reply 129
LCM is certainly not 320 UCAS points, it's 240, unless you're talking about another points system
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-music

Scroll down to 53 and it says on average 325 tarriff points.

You might be getting confused with the minimum and the average.

Here's a video from students on how good Goldsmiths is: http://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/
Reply 132
I'm applying to:

1) University of Bristol
2) Royal Holloway, University of London (received an offer)
3) City University
4) University of Surrey (received an offer)
5) Oxford Brookes University

I want offer from Bristol : <! Has any of you gotten an offer from Bristol yet?
I've got an offer from Surrey too :biggrin: SO happy!!! Applying for Bristol as well, & haven't heard anything yet.
Reply 134
I'm applying post A levels at the moment to:

Cambridge (St John's)
KCL
Durham
Edinburgh
Bristol

No offers as yet, I'm just waiting. But I know Edinburgh and KCL are really late and Cambridge obviously I won't hear from yet(!) so really it's just Durham and Bristol that I'd hear from any time soon...

I'm a first study singer, but also play violin (and piano when I absolutely have to!)
Reply 135
Original post by bigflutetop

Original post by bigflutetop
Hi I've applied to the following:

Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (acknowledged)
Edinburgh
Durham (acknowledged)
Bristol (acknowledged)
Manchester (acknowledged)

Does anyone have any idea as to when I should hear word back regarding an interview or an offer. Also I still haven't received any word from Edinburgh yet and my application was sent on 14/10/11 so I'm starting to worry. Please help!

Hi, thought I'd reply seeing as we have four choices in common! If you're going for Caius, are you doing a choral scholarship?
Also I'm afraid I did get an acknowledgment from Edinburgh and my form went a couple of days before yours...maybe you've heard by now though? Otherwise perhaps worth an email?
Original post by encoodoh
Hi, thought I'd reply seeing as we have four choices in common! If you're going for Caius, are you doing a choral scholarship?
Also I'm afraid I did get an acknowledgment from Edinburgh and my form went a couple of days before yours...maybe you've heard by now though? Otherwise perhaps worth an email?

No I didn't apply for a choral/organ scholarship but if given an offer will defiantly go for an instrumental scholarship (piano is my main instrument). I still haven't heard any word from Edinburgh which is really making me worried.... Mind if I ask what are your preferences.....I also think it is quite weird that we have chosen 4 out 5 universities the same and I was this close to applying to KCL which is very strange. Feel free to email me if you have anymore questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 137
Hey everyone, haven't posted in TSR in a while but I just saw this thread and had to post!
(Especially since there's a few people applying to roughly the same as me!! :biggrin:)

Well here goes:
Cambridge (Emmanuel)
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Queen's, Belfast

No offers yet - getting anxious (just a bit!) How's everyone else?
Reply 138
What are all the pianists playing for their auditions :biggrin:?
Reply 139
Good luck to all musicians applying to university!

If I had slightly more interest in music than maths then that is what I would be applying for too; I unfortunately dropped music A level last year and my piano practise is gradually going to shreds :frown: I know - shameful!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest