The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS grades :S help

Hi :smile: I've had my heart set on chemical engineering for some time now. I opened my results to find B - Maths B-Chemistry C-Psychology D-Biology. It's motivated me to work super hard next year but I'm worried unversities will take one look at them and through my application away. Is there any other alternative routes or any ways to get around this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by laurenhorn
Hi :smile: I've had my heart set on chemical engineering for some time now. I opened my results to find B - Maths B-Chemistry C-Psychology D-Biology. It's motivated me to work super hard next year but I'm worried unversities will take one look at them and through my application away. Is there any other alternative routes or any ways to get around this?

It might not apply to your course, but I know at Southampton they don't look at module grades, just predicted and final (this is for medicine though :x)

If this is fairly normal then as long as you can get good predictions and final grades you'd be fine!

Sorry I couldn't be more specific!!
Reply 2
When applying through UCAS your teachers should predict you one grade up..
That means they're likely to predict you AAB (if your dropping biology) if thats not enough maybe ask your psychology teacher to push you up to an A..

I'm applying to foundation med with BBDD..
B in sociology (7 UMS from an A!) and psychology
D in biology and chemistry

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Mirza

Do teachers actually do that?
Original post by laurenhorn
Do teachers actually do that?

Your teachers can predict whatever they think you can achieve. If you can convince them you can achieve and A or B grade, that's what they'll predict.

Some are more strict, but mine more or less put what I asked them too as they knew I was serious about getting the grades I wanted.
read my signature for my grades.

also i was 14 ums off an A in chemistry and 16 ums off a B for biology, but im retaking unit 1 biology, dont know how on earth i got only a D for it. my answers were almost the same to the mark scheme ( i know for a fact because aqa biology answers repeat each year) and yet it was a D :frown:
Reply 6
I gotta try and make mine predict me ABB minimum! >_<
Reply 7
Original post by James A
read my signature for my grades.

also i was 14 ums off an A in chemistry and 16 ums off a B for biology, but im retaking unit 1 biology, dont know how on earth i got only a D for it. my answers were almost the same to the mark scheme ( i know for a fact because aqa biology answers repeat each year) and yet it was a D :frown:

tell me about it

Quick Reply

Latest