The Student Room Group

Exams going terribly

I’m struggling mentally at the moment as I’m doing A-level exams.

All throughout school I’ve been getting A*s and As and this continued in sixth form, even without proper revision. But now with 4 A-level exams done and 5 more to go, I feel have completely let myself down as I neglected revision massively and now I am performing poorly in these exams. I feel like I have wasted all my hard work and time for the past 2 years as I have been doing so well and was predicted to get A*AA but I don't think this will happen. I need AAB for my firm and ABB for insurance but I don't think I'll manage to get the grades even when I thought this would be way less stressful as I was predicted so high.

My teachers aren't worried due to how well I've performed throughout school and say they don't think the lack of intense revision would cause me to get bad grades as I've hardly revised throughout the sixth form and still excelled. They keep saying they think I'm overreacting but I truly don't think I am. After every exam, I feel as if I have performed so much worse than I have in any other tests or exams I have done (even exams that I have actually done badly on before).

I'm guilty and disappointed because I just could never make myself revise. Every time I did revise, I didn't feel as if it was helping as I always knew all the content anyway. I knew the content and I could cram that if needed but I just can’t seem to do exam questions in the exam. I tried to practice exam techniques and I got high scores on practices but it never helped for real exam conditions and I just seem to be unable to apply it during real exams.

Even though school and my family are really supporting me I’m really struggling. I’m guilty, disappointed and scared. (I have plenty of people around me, don’t worry). People keep saying I can retake, but I don't think I could put myself through this process again. Clearing is an option but at this point, I feel as if my grades won't even be good enough and I am really set on going to Uni of Bath.

I just wanted to ask for some advice if you have any. What should I do if I fail? How can I carry on when it all feels like it’s going downhill? How do I stay positive when I don’t feel like I have the energy to carry on, let anyone do well with the remaining exams?

I want to do well but I just can’t see it happening and I don’t know how I’ll carry on if I’ve failed. My last exam is on June 14th and it feels like I'll never make it till then.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
There are people much better qualified than I am to advise you on here. I just wanted to say that there are always other options if you don't get into your university choices. My daughter did badly in one of her A levels and is where she wants to be now. There will be options so stay positive
(edited 10 months ago)
June 14th really isn't too far away, considering that some people literally have exams on like the 27th of June. However, it is a bit worrying that you have 5 exams till then since it seems that they're quite jam-packed. Honestly, bun revising content, and just do past papers. It's what I've been trying to do, and I find it immensely more helpful than just doing content. Don't worry about results whilst you're doing exams, sulk about it after. Just do the work now, it's just 10 days.
Reply 3
Your ****ed man, I was in the same position as you 2 years ago, now I am working pay cheque to pay cheque in a dead end government job. I was a straight A student until the A levels. I have never seen an A on my report cards at school, only A stars. Sorry to say this but you should probably go and find a job.

Quick Reply

Latest