The Student Room Group

Geography AS level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Could anyone just tell me whether there was a lot of memorising or more understanding the concepts for AS level geography?

YES! Geography is probably one of the most content heavy A levels out there. It pretty much is entirely content based, bar the 30% which is "skills" (but still requires memorising). If you want high grades, you'd need to do a lot of memorising. However, also bear in mind that the grade boundaries tend to be very low (especially at AS?). E.g last year, you only needed 48/49% raw marks to get an A. The year before was very similar (49% I think). I got around low/mid 60s and I ended getting 100% UMS (for the main exam - unit 1).

Btw, I did AQA too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Okay thanks, as I think I may just take Geography to AS level, I hope that as the grade boundaries are relatively low, I can still get an A!

And of topic, but it says location : cheam. Is that cheam in surrey by any chance?

Yes it is :smile:
Original post by RobertWhite

omg that's so weird, I live down the road in WP lol
Reply 23
Original post by makingamemory

Lol, I know this may be a creepy question, you don't have to answer it, do you go to Richard Challoner School? :biggrin:
Lol, I know this may be a creepy question, you don't have to answer it, do you go to Richard Challoner School? :biggrin:

Never heard of it sorry, to be honest I don't really know any schools in Sutton lol I moved from Putney 2 years ago so I just stayed at my school down there.

edit: yeah I kinda don't meet the criteria to go to your school either :wink: (unless the 6th form is mixed...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Never heard of it sorry, to be honest I don't really know any schools in Sutton lol I moved from Putney 2 years ago so I just stayed at my school down there.

edit: yeah I kinda don't meet the criteria to go to your school either :wink: (unless the 6th form is mixed...)

It is mixed :cool:
I don't think you should change because of a clash of exams - a lot of people had more than one exam on a day (myself including) and although it is hard, its just something you have to live with. If you chose another subject than geography you're going to be chosing something which you like less than geography (or presumably would have put it there originally) and are going to be less motivated to work hard throughout the year, enjoy it less etc. so you will probably end up with worse grades anyway.

I say just go for it - enjoy doing the subject and worry about the exam tiumetable closer to the time!

Hmm I just live in Sutton :redface: And what's WP? :s-smilie:

Do either of you go/have gone to Wilsons (or even heard of it?)
Reply 28

Yeah that's in Kingston isn't it? Or Wimbledon? Def heard of it though. WP = Worcester Park.

Worcester Park, the town that gets forgotten by Sutton council except when they want to close off the main road for half of the year with bloody 'co ordinated' roadworks :tongue:

Haven't heard of it, sorry.
Reply 30
I wouldn't worry too much about exam dates clashing. Its something that will invariably happen to you at some point - I had geography and history ( russian paper nightmare) on the same day - they're both reallly content heavy - but you jsut get round it by starting to revise very early.

I did AQA AS geog, cold environments, rivers, population and health - it was content heavy, lots of stats memorising, but it was also interesting. I started revising about a month early, used flash cards and just learnt loads of stats. But its true the grade boundaries are really low, its quite do-able to get 100% UMS.

Most of all though, I think its important you take ASs that you reallly like and are best at - cos otherwise you wont have the motivation to study really hard throughout the year.

good luck!:smile:
Yeah that's in Kingston isn't it? Or Wimbledon? Def heard of it though. WP = Worcester Park.

Nah, in Wallington (near Croydon) :tongue: Ahh as from your username I thought you were the guy that went here! As there is a 'Robert White' that has just left our school last year :tongue:
Original post by livvy--26
I wouldn't worry too much about exam dates clashing. Its something that will invariably happen to you at some point - I had geography and history ( russian paper nightmare) on the same day - they're both reallly content heavy - but you jsut get round it by starting to revise very early.

I did AQA AS geog, cold environments, rivers, population and health - it was content heavy, lots of stats memorising, but it was also interesting. I started revising about a month early, used flash cards and just learnt loads of stats. But its true the grade boundaries are really low, its quite do-able to get 100% UMS.

Most of all though, I think its important you take ASs that you reallly like and are best at - cos otherwise you wont have the motivation to study really hard throughout the year.

good luck!:smile:

Thanks, yeah I think liking the subject does play a large part in you doing well. As I'll apply for medicine, I really just need 4A's, and hopefully I will be able to get an A in geography :biggrin:

How did your AS's go?
Reply 33
Nah, in Wallington (near Croydon) :tongue: Ahh as from your username I thought you were the guy that went here! As there is a 'Robert White' that has just left our school last year :tongue:

Ah yes, Wallington, I swear I've been asked that before lol
I don't get why people are moaning about unit 3, you actually need to know more for unit 1 than you do for unit 3. There are more case studies and there is more risk of you messing up in unit 1 than unit 3. If you do unit 4A it is far easier than unit 4B as it is personal fieldwork and if you do bad at AS many people do actually find A2 easier. It's weird I know, but that is what has been found, by many schools. You just have to make sure for AS that you are willing to learn case studies and learn them properly. A2 you can rely on less case studies than AS but again you will need to learn them properly.
Worcester Park, the town that gets forgotten by Sutton council except when they want to close off the main road for half of the year with bloody 'co ordinated' roadworks :tongue:

Haven't heard of it, sorry.

I'm actually ashamed to say that I have no idea where Worcester Park is, except that there is a bus that goes there. But it is actually quite near Sutton isn't it? :colondollar:
I'm actually ashamed to say that I have no idea where Worcester Park is, except that there is a bus that goes there. But it is actually quite near Sutton isn't it? :colondollar:

151? :tongue:
I didn't know it existed until I moved here tbh, although I lived in Wandsworth not Sutton haha It's near North Cheam/Mordern/Motspur Park/New Malden/Ewell/Stoneleigh...think I got every side lol
It's about 15mins max on the bus through Cheam Broadway, a lot quicker if youre lucky enough to catch the X26
I think except for going through Tolworth it's the main way to get to the A3/Kingston from Sutton.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
151? :tongue:
I didn't know it existed until I moved here tbh, although I lived in Wandsworth not Sutton haha It's near North Cheam/Mordern/Motspur Park/New Malden/Ewell/Stoneleigh...think I got every side lol
It's about 15mins max on the bus through Cheam Broadway, a lot quicker if youre lucky enough to catch the X26
I think except for going through Tolworth it's the main way to get to the A3/Kingston from Sutton.

How spooky is this, I'm from Sutton!! I go to Sutton Grammar :smile:
Original post by DavidCrow
How spooky is this, I'm from Sutton!! I go to Sutton Grammar :smile:

Yeah I know! Hmm, are you going to sixth form by any chance? ...as I 'may' know you. :tongue: (I'm at Wilson's :wink: )

EDIT: saw that you've just done your AS's so your going to upper sixth. Well done on those btw! :biggrin: Did you find the workload for geography a lot? And was it near a maths/chemistry exam (like a clash) by any chance?
(edited 12 years ago)
Whilst Geography is quite content heavy, I wouldn't worry too much about the learning - if you keep on top of it as you go along it shouldn't be a problem. Regarding exam clashes, I sat my AS Unit 1 on the same day as a philosophy paper (pretty intense day), but still came out with full UMS in Geography (and an A in Philosophy, which I probably did more work on) so I wouldn't worry about that too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending