The Student Room Group

Why don't Asian countries take in immigrants?

Scroll to see replies

Why have people made the assumption that Asian countries don't take in immigrants?
Reply 41
Original post by JunXi
It is in a lot of cases..Thai for example bears almost no similarity whatsoever to Mandarin, although there are some loanwords from Teochew. Vietnamese is written with an alphabet these days, absolutely no characters at all, and was influenced by Classical Chinese, not modern Standard Mandarin... Laotian is written in an abugida and, again, has very little similarity to Chinese. Burmese actually has more English and Pali influences in it than it does Chinese.

The only one in your list in what's called the CJK group (ie the ones who would have a 'discount' on learning each other's languages) is Korean...

The above languages have literally NO relation to English. Forget about their written systems, they at least have a Sprachbund with Chinese. Many are tonal languages with similar phonemes and grammatical features so learning Chinese is a cinch. English on the other hand is near-impossible with its tenses, plurals, conjugation, etc. And let's not even talk about other European languages, which are much more difficult, grammatically, than English!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by TurkeyProphet
Why have people made the assumption that Asian countries don't take in immigrants?

Because for the wealthy East Asian countries - Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc, it's true. They might take in temporary workers, but certainly don't give naturalized citizenship like all the moronic Western countries! They want their countries to remain ethnically homogenous, or as close to that as possible!
Reply 43
Original post by JunXi
China already has massive problems with migrants from other regions of the country, let alone taking in immigrants. Besides, we do take in a loot of N. Korean refugees (not always officially, but the local Korean ethnic minority group tends to take them in and hide them from the authorities).

Most Chinese people do live in relative poverty, or abject poverty in rural areas, compared to people in the West..

Ethnic Koreans in China (朝鲜族, commonly referred to by ordinary folks by the derogatory phrase 高丽棒子) are mostly on the way out of China. They're all flocking to South Korea - a country they are allowed to migrate to, given their bloodline. Most Han Chinese - certainly all of my friends - think "good riddance to bad trash" on that one. Personally I can't understand why South Korea and ethnic Koreans in China are so reviled... I've had nothing but good experiences with Koreans and ethnically-Korean Chinese...
Reply 44
Original post by ypo
You clearly no nothing about Japan. Japanese people are very welcoming to "guests". Being ethnically non-Japanese you are immediately considered a "guest" and therefore as such are treated as one. If however, the "guest" demands to be stay longer and be a "host", he will soon be treated very differently.

That black in all the SoftBank commercials was purposely picked to look out of place. The whole purpose of the SoftBank commericals is to be weird, something completely lost on you obviously...

Trust me, the Japanese look upon the idea of a ethnically non-Japanese person becoming "Japanese" (a Japanese citizen) with absolute revulsion.

Did you even bother to WATCH half those videos, or just stick them up there and hope that they might look like some halfway decent proof of the rubbish you spewed?

Most of them are one off examples of complete retards (not unlike the "go home and stop taking our jobs blah" idiotic, uneducated chavs you'll find on any street corner here in England) behaving stupidly and are NOT representative of the Japanese population as a whole, and one was about Korea, not Japan. :facepalm:
Reply 45
Original post by IlexBlue
Did you even bother to WATCH half those videos, or just stick them up there and hope that they might look like some halfway decent proof of the rubbish you spewed?

Most of them are one off examples of complete retards (not unlike the "go home and stop taking our jobs blah" idiotic, uneducated chavs you'll find on any street corner here in England) behaving stupidly and are NOT representative of the Japanese population as a whole, and one was about Korea, not Japan. :facepalm:

Listen moron, I live in Japan. I can tell you are completely ignorant of Japan from your post. Of course I know they're not completely representative of Japan. Never said they were. But their opinions are FAAAAAAAAAR more widespread than that of the BNP or EDL in Britain. The Japanese public are actually generally quite accepting and sympathetic of their opinions, especially with regard to China, and to a lesser extent Korea.

Just a few days ago there were rallies against a Japanese TV channel (FujiTV) which has recently been airing some Korean TV programs. The Japanese don't like this. And it's not just "chav"-types marching, it's normal, young, fashionable Japanese people as well. I would know, I saw it with my own eyes.

Reply 46

some right-wing idiots (not unlike the bnp in the uk) and someone pretending to be a famous black person... ok.
Reply 47
Original post by ypo
The above languages have literally NO relation to English. Forget about their written systems, they at least have a Sprachbund with Chinese. Many are tonal languages with similar phonemes and grammatical features so learning Chinese is a cinch. English on the other hand is near-impossible with its tenses, plurals, conjugation, etc. And let's not even talk about other European languages, which are much more difficult, grammatically, than English!

I think you'll find an awful lot of speakers of tonal languages (including Cantonese) actually still mess up tones in Mandarin after years of study...

I believe that the Sprachbund which you're referring to is the CJK area...

Ethnic Koreans in China (朝鲜族, commonly referred to by ordinary folks by the derogatory phrase 高丽棒子) are mostly on the way out of China. They're all flocking to South Korea - a country they are allowed to migrate to, given their bloodline. Most Han Chinese - certainly all of my friends - think "good riddance to bad trash" on that one. Personally I can't understand why South Korea and ethnic Koreans in China are so reviled... I've had nothing but good experiences with Koreans and ethnically-Korean Chinese...

I've spent almost my entire life in China, but thanks for the information about 朝鮮族 anyway I suppose :wink:... Anyway, there's still a large 朝鮮族 population in China which certainly don't seem to be 'on the way out' - some of the young ones don't even speak much Korean these days, like I speak more Canto than English tbh (although admittedly, most do!)

I know very few Han Chinese who 'revile' Koreans - I would say that's more towards the Japanese :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Taivaallinen
So, when you say 'Britain', you really mean England? If so much of Japan is so inaccessible, why do they have such a large population?

Most of the population live in cities and as a result you get situations like this and this due to the cramped population density.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Why don't China, India and other growing economies, and Japan don't take in any refugees/asylum seekers?

China and India's standard of living is not good enough for others to want to emigrate to there. Unskilled workers often don't gain any advantage in moving to these countries - there is no shortage within the country yet (unlike the West). However, you get some poorer SE Asians immigrating to China to work.

The culture is very different from everywhere else so people find it harder to integrate. Asian countries never had far reaching empires so they have no historical ties like the UK or France. China and Japan are also very nationalistic countries and gaining citizenship as an immigrant is considerably harder than in say the UK.
Reply 50
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
1. Language difficulties. Mandarin and Japanese in particular = mindfrak. Hindi's not much better. Most of the asylum seekers in the world come from West/Central Asia and Africa - Europe is the logical destination for most of these people, as the most developed and wealthiest part of the world.

2. Asylum seekers. Japan is only really close to North Korea as far as 'orrible states go, and there's not much chance of getting out of NK. But as for China and India, why would you flee to countries that are respectively an oppressive communist regime and a country where there's almost no prospect of escape from a life of poverty at the moment, and so not many prospects for asylum seekers?

It is? Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that would still be North America, for some reason. Probably the same as many people think, I guess.

I'm not disagreeing here, at all, but do you have a source? I'd be interested to read up on that. :smile:

I thought they came to the EU because its so easy to move around between other European Nations and that English is very widely spoken so that there's all these countries with lots of opportunity and a very limited chance of a language barrier.
Reply 51
okay right. India has quite a sizeable Nepalese population. But the problem is there is that 1) there is barely any space for the present population 2) Job propspects AT THIS CURRENT TIME are not good in India for skilled workers especially. They do have A LOT of internal migration though. Standard of living isn't great at all in India as well.
Reply 52
Original post by JunXi
Disagreeing with you makes me a c*nt now does it? Thanks for that...

Haha, I'm just kidding.
Original post by JunXi
I think you'll find an awful lot of speakers of tonal languages (including Cantonese) actually still mess up tones in Mandarin after years of study...

Haha, that's true. Hong Kongers' Mandarin absolutely sucks, e.g. they say stupid sh*t like "liulai" for 牛奶 and "choongnai" for 从来. (Though for some reason all HK actors speak perfectly standard Mandarin...!! :dontknow:) But 广东人 still speak much better Mandarin than 福建人.

Original post by JunXi
I believe that the Sprachbund which you're referring to is the CJK area...

No, definitely not. You're confusing things here. Chinese is actually in the same language family as Burmese. The Thai and Lao languages originate in South China, and many minorities in China still speak related languages. As for Vietnamese, the majority of the words in the language are of Chinese origin. China's historical influence was enormous. The result is that Chinese is still WAAAAAAY easier to learn than any Indian languages (which have historical influence in SE Asia) let alone an obscure, quaint-sounding language from a small, rainy island in the extreme north-west of Europe.

Let's not forget also that spoken Chinese - at least Mandarin - is really simple. No tenses, no plurals, no conjugation, hardly any prepositions. Sure tones and measure words are difficult at first, but they're really not that hard to master. Admittedly 成语 and other set phrases are indeed very difficult - but realistically most Chinese people are countryside folks who barely know 10 non-trivial 成语, yet no one doubts their ability to speak Chinese.

Original post by JunXi
I've spent almost my entire life in China, but thanks for the information about 朝鮮族 anyway I suppose :wink:... Anyway, there's still a large 朝鮮族 population in China which certainly don't seem to be 'on the way out' - some of the young ones don't even speak much Korean these days, like I speak more Canto than English tbh (although admittedly, most do!)

I know very few Han Chinese who 'revile' Koreans - I would say that's more towards the Japanese :smile:

Survey after survey in recent years has shown that Korea is the most hated country in China. Japan is of course second place though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by anshul95
okay right. India has quite a sizeable Nepalese population. But the problem is there is that 1) there is barely any space for the present population 2) Job propspects AT THIS CURRENT TIME are not good in India for skilled workers especially. They do have A LOT of internal migration though. Standard of living isn't great at all in India as well.

Yeah exactly. I feel sorry for these Nepalis. Migrating to hellholes in Bihar and UT - I mean damn, just damn!

That said I'm glad India erected that huge wall on its Bangladeshi border and has shoot-to-kill orders on any Bangladeshis who dare to cross into India. Wish India would adopt the same stance with all these Pakistani Muslim terrorists crawling in.
Have you seen the poverty there in China? Why would you want to be a refugee? You would be a little better off if you came from a war zone :gah:
Reply 55
Original post by ypo

Survey after survey in recent years has shown that Korea is the most hated country in China. Japan is of course second place though.

I would've thought Japan would come first.
Reply 56
Original post by ypo
Trust me, the Japanese look upon the idea of a ethnically non-Japanese person becoming "Japanese" (a Japanese citizen) with absolute revulsion.

Video 1 and 2 (are the same): This is at the Washington Hotel in Shinjuku which has a bad reputation of hoarding Chinese criminals. This comment on YouTube summarizes it best: "HAHA these people on the video talks nothing about that but objecting about chinks staying in that hotel illegally and calling "white pig" to those white hotel officer let those chinks staying illegally."

The white person with the sports bags was at the wrong place at the wrong time. None of the people on the streets gave two cents about this demonstration by the way.

Video 3: How is this about "becoming Japanese"? What is racist about this? That is how Louis Armstrong sings-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJY96m3lkg

Video 4: Protest against a North Korean school. What's wrong about protesting against feeding children propaganda bullcrap?

あなたは 日本語を話さないね。:s-smilie:
Why would anyone want to immigrate to Asian countries? I think you are missunderstanding the whole concept of immigration.

Also my uncle lives in Japan and he absolutely loves it there. No, he hasnt come across anyone that was racist to him and he said they are probably more friendly towards foreigners than in other countries he has been to, which is quite a few.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by ypo
Yeah exactly. I feel sorry for these Nepalis. Migrating to hellholes in Bihar and UT - I mean damn, just damn!

That said I'm glad India erected that huge wall on its Bangladeshi border and has shoot-to-kill orders on any Bangladeshis who dare to cross into India. Wish India would adopt the same stance with all these Pakistani Muslim terrorists crawling in.

well Bangladesh historically is allied with India (you know the drill partition so and so forth) so I didn't know they had such an anti-Bangladesh stance. With regards to your earlier comment about South Asian languages - I don't know too much about Dravidinian languages but North Indian languages, ESPECIALLY hindi, aren't too hard to get to grips with. Maybe I'm biased but I have noticed SOME similarities with English and other European languages.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Why don't China, India and other growing economies, and Japan don't take in any refugees/asylum seekers?

er they do,have u bothered to check

India and Pakistan have more refugees and asylum seekers than the rest of the world put together

Bangladesh has plenty of Refugees from Burma
India has alot of Immigrants from Bangladesh
Pakistan has alot of refugees from Afghanistan and Immigrants from India

China is so huge,but it does have immigration with in and Hong Kong gives citizenship after 7 years of working

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending