The Student Room Group

Woman using shady tactics?

My flatmate is a 32 year old woman and is manipulating the visa system to gain a work visa. She did her MA and got the graduate route in 2022. Since then she has has held the role of Chinese teacher, and steward on a 0 hour contract. After that she worked full time for one of the museums as a visitor assistant.

However she was constantly applying for jobs in companies and was buying tests and question and answer packages from China (she's chinese) for KPMG etc to pass their tests. However, she never passed the interviews because her spoken English is quite poor and once she failed the tests as the test questions were different than what she received in the test package.

She left for China on November 2022 and returned in early February 2023 and quickly started dating a white guy. Since then she's acted in very shady ways. She never applied for any jobs but was using WeChat to get jobs in Chinese companies in London. She told me she got a job in March 23 as an educational consultant at a Chinese student agency through WeChat, hoping they will provide her with a visa. However by June, the company informed her that they cannot sponsor her because her role does not meet the criteria set by Home Office.

She quit the job immediately and got in contact with her Chinese friends who provided her with job at a Chinese real estate company by Aug 23 as a sales assistant. She seemed quite happy and was posting on her social media about how she's looking forward to the next chapter in her life. By December 23, she told me how she was promoted to a property sales executive.

I was quite surprised at the swift promotion in just 4 months and she finally revealed that since her graduate visa expires in March 2022, she had contacted her friends who connected her to this company and they assured her that they would promote her from a sales assistant to an executive post just before her visa would expire. Hence, she would be able to secure a work visa through this way

The company she works for has a limited online presence with low LinkedIn followers, has no job or property listings on their website and has an alert ⚠️ sign before the URL warning users to not enter any information on this site.

She has moved in with the white boyfriend and was joking about how she fooled the immigration authorities and now she can live in the UK.

I was extremely uncomfortable hearing this and now I don't know if I should inform someone or just let it be and let her do what she wants.
Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She has paid fees to study here, is contributing by working and is in a relationship with a UK citizen. To be honest there are far more things to worry about and I would leave it to her employers and authorities to manage their responsibilities in relation to this.
Doesn't seem your business and it doesn't seem certain you know the full story. Saying you disapprove would be one thing but 'extremely uncomfortable' feels like needless melodrama.
Original post by Zarek
She has paid fees to study here, is contributing by working and is in a relationship with a UK citizen. To be honest there are far more things to worry about and I would leave it to her employers and authorities to manage their responsibilities in relation to this.

Isn't contributing to anything as her job and company is shady and only to secure a visa
Reply 4
Those of oriental origin are typically not offensive culturally or ethnically and she is employed. So I’m not overly bothered.

That said, you should report this to the Home Office if you believe that she is not acting in good faith.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Doesn't seem your business and it doesn't seem certain you know the full story. Saying you disapprove would be one thing but 'extremely uncomfortable' feels like needless melodrama.

If you believe a crime is being committed then it is your business for the good of society and upholding law and order.
Original post by Rakas21
If you believe a crime is being committed then it is your business for the good of society and upholding law and order.

To a point but I don't believe the reality is that black and white and that if you spend your life trying to make trouble for other people then trouble will find you. It's no big surprise that I attach significantly different priorities regarding immigration, treatment of said immigrants and the idea of zero tolerance in general.
It strikes me that the UKVI would do more than a cursory search to check that this company existed before extending her visa. Especially under the current government.
Reply 8
only certain companies can sponsor work visas; it's a license it must apply for. if it's on the list below link it's fine

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-workers
Original post by Admit-One
It strikes me that the UKVI would do more than a cursory search to check that this company existed before extending her visa. Especially under the current government.

Yes I think they would so it themselves as the government do have the genuine vacancy requirement and this post is not genuine. She was promoted only within 3 months and just before her current visa would expire. That itself is a red flag because to progress from a sales assistant to property executive, you need at least 6-8 months or sometimes even a year but how does somebody join a company as a sales assistant then by December is appointed as the property executive. The current visa expires in March hence all this planning
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Truly. I'm appalled at how some users think tricking the UKVI into giving a work visa only because you can live here with a white man on a permanent basis is ethical.
She isn't doing this out of genuine career development but out of desperation to stay here with the guy. When she wasn't with the guy, she used to say how her city in China is very developed and how she has a good relationship with her family so she can go back. But ever since she got together with the guy who works at Goldman Sachs and makes a lot of money, she has changed and is desperate.

Not only that, she has said multiple times that she has been calling her Chinese friends who are still in China as well as her 37 year old unmarried sister to come and settle her and marry a white man as white men "love Asian women" and hate white women.

There are nonsensical things to hear
Original post by Rakas21
Those of oriental origin are typically not offensive culturally or ethnically and she is employed. So I’m not overly bothered.

That said, you should report this to the Home Office if you believe that she is not acting in good faith.

I don't think the home office would actually do anything as they have so much backlog but an option nevertheless
Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
Isn't contributing to anything as her job and company is shady and only to secure a visa

Just because you think it’s shady doesn’t mean it is. If she is working then she is contributing to the country unless you think the company is not a real company and is illegal I wouldn’t do anythjbg
Reply 13

There are a lot of assumptions in this. To me this is no big deal, she’s self sufficient and has followed the process. It’s up to those responsible for the process to administer it correctly. If you believe it’s criminal and feel strongly then report it
Yes I think they would so it themselves as the government do have the genuine vacancy requirement and this post is not genuine. She was promoted only within 3 months and just before her current visa would expire. That itself is a red flag because to progress from a sales assistant to property executive, you need at least 6-8 months or sometimes even a year but how does somebody join a company as a sales assistant then by December is appointed as the property executive. The current visa expires in March hence all this planning

This
Do you have any evidence of the sponsoring company doing anything illegal or her providing false information to the authorities to obtain a visa?

There are some very dodgy sponsorship providing companies that are properly registered for all taxes and UKVI licenced as sponsors that are plausible appearing but in reality 'fronts' for criminal schemes.
Often intended to enable ineligible overseas citizens to contravene immigration requirements by masquerading as highly skilled workers on permanent contracts/experienced temporary workers required to meet seasonal demand.

Sometimes fronting for either organised crime gangs that make a lot of profit from people trafficking.
Or entering into conspiracies with dishonest immigration advisors and gangmaster groups to provide their corrupt overseas citizen clients with 'guaranteed visa packages'.
Mostly obtained through creating mountains of fake paperwork to accompany highly paid sponsored jobs that only exist on paper or when sending out monthly/weekly/annual to the sponsored employees.
My flatmate is a 32 year old woman and is manipulating the visa system to gain a work visa. She did her MA and got the graduate route in 2022. Since then she has has held the role of Chinese teacher, and steward on a 0 hour contract. After that she worked full time for one of the museums as a visitor assistant.

However she was constantly applying for jobs in companies and was buying tests and question and answer packages from China (she's chinese) for KPMG etc to pass their tests. However, she never passed the interviews because her spoken English is quite poor and once she failed the tests as the test questions were different than what she received in the test package.

She left for China on November 2022 and returned in early February 2023 and quickly started dating a white guy. Since then she's acted in very shady ways. She never applied for any jobs but was using WeChat to get jobs in Chinese companies in London. She told me she got a job in March 23 as an educational consultant at a Chinese student agency through WeChat, hoping they will provide her with a visa. However by June, the company informed her that they cannot sponsor her because her role does not meet the criteria set by Home Office.

She quit the job immediately and got in contact with her Chinese friends who provided her with job at a Chinese real estate company by Aug 23 as a sales assistant. She seemed quite happy and was posting on her social media about how she's looking forward to the next chapter in her life. By December 23, she told me how she was promoted to a property sales executive.

I was quite surprised at the swift promotion in just 4 months and she finally revealed that since her graduate visa expires in March 2022, she had contacted her friends who connected her to this company and they assured her that they would promote her from a sales assistant to an executive post just before her visa would expire. Hence, she would be able to secure a work visa through this way

The company she works for has a limited online presence with low LinkedIn followers, has no job or property listings on their website and has an alert ⚠️ sign before the URL warning users to not enter any information on this site.

She has moved in with the white boyfriend and was joking about how she fooled the immigration authorities and now she can live in the UK.

I was extremely uncomfortable hearing this and now I don't know if I should inform someone or just let it be and let her do what she wants.
Any ideas?

Hmmm I guess if you like, you could email someone for sure, there's no harm in it as yes it doesn't seem right. I personally know a person whose visa is expiring this year meaning they would obviously have to leave the UK soon so they have gone and married a masters student who can keep them here for an extra two years. So people are doing all sorts of things just to stay. Give emailing someone a go and see how they respond ig.

Any ideas?

Mind your business
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Do you have any evidence of the sponsoring company doing anything illegal or her providing false information to the authorities to obtain a visa?

There are some very dodgy sponsorship providing companies that are properly registered for all taxes and UKVI licenced as sponsors that are plausible appearing but in reality 'fronts' for criminal schemes.
Often intended to enable ineligible overseas citizens to contravene immigration requirements by masquerading as highly skilled workers on permanent contracts/experienced temporary workers required to meet seasonal demand.

Sometimes fronting for either organised crime gangs that make a lot of profit from people trafficking.
Or entering into conspiracies with dishonest immigration advisors and gangmaster groups to provide their corrupt overseas citizen clients with 'guaranteed visa packages'.
Mostly obtained through creating mountains of fake paperwork to accompany highly paid sponsored jobs that only exist on paper or when sending out monthly/weekly/annual to the sponsored employees.

I know that she got the sales assistant job from the chinese company who are in cahoots with her and offered to promote her to a higher post to get the visa before her current visa expires.

Her company claims they have been operating since 8 years on their website but they have been operating 2019 as a consulting company. Then they rebranded to a real estate business catering only to asian clients and are primarily now a Chinese company.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hmmm I guess if you like, you could email someone for sure, there's no harm in it as yes it doesn't seem right. I personally know a person whose visa is expiring this year meaning they would obviously have to leave the UK soon so they have gone and married a masters student who can keep them here for an extra two years. So people are doing all sorts of things just to stay. Give emailing someone a go and see how they respond ig.

I know that she got the sales assistant job from the chinese company who are in cahoots with her and offered to promote her to a higher post to get the visa before her current visa expires.

Her company claims they have been operating since 8 years on their website but they have been operating 2019 as a consulting company. Then they rebranded to a real estate business catering only to asian clients and are primarily now a Chinese company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending