The Student Room Group

Welsh Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewis :D
Why?

End of term. I'm off home. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];35350381]Just did some reading on Welsh independence, what's your guys thoughts?
I'm increasingly convinced that independence is the only way we're going to sort out the economic mess this country's in. The UK as it is set up currently has a paralytic effect on the Welsh economy. Thatcherite policies pursued in Westminster by every government since that of the Iron Lady herself have built the City up as the sole pillar on which the UK's economy rests. That's been great for London and the South-East, but for the more peripheral areas of the UK, Wales included, the consequences have been deprivation in the wake of declining industry and a brain drain to the capital. A government in Cardiff with the economic clout I'd like to see would go a long way to redressing the balance in Wales' favour - invest in infrastructure to get it up to a comparable level with that of the South East, lower corporation tax, and increase Wales' presence internationally to attract inward investment, and we'd be a long way down the road of fixing a lot that's wrong with the Welsh economy.

That's why I like the "real independence" argument it looks like Leanne Wood will be using in the Plaid Cymru leadership contest; not just constitutional independence, but ensuring Wales can stand on its own two feet economically, too.

One thing I'm really hoping will get going soon is the Severn Barrage. The rumblings coming out of Corlan Hafren, the consortium set up to push it, are encouraging. It really has the potential to transform the economy of South Wales, and produce all of Wales' energy needs renewably to boot!
Reply 81
On a side note - omgbbq lovin life 2k11 Schools out time to get drunk beyy :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by Kaiser MacCleg
End of term. I'm off home. :biggrin:

I'm increasingly convinced that independence is the only way we're going to sort out the economic mess this country's in. The UK as it is set up currently has a paralytic effect on the Welsh economy. Thatcherite policies pursued in Westminster by every government since that of the Iron Lady herself have built the City up as the sole pillar on which the UK's economy rests. That's been great for London and the South-East, but for the more peripheral areas of the UK, Wales included, the consequences have been deprivation in the wake of declining industry and a brain drain to the capital. A government in Cardiff with the economic clout I'd like to see would go a long way to redressing the balance in Wales' favour - invest in infrastructure to get it up to a comparable level with that of the South East, lower corporation tax, and increase Wales' presence internationally to attract inward investment, and we'd be a long way down the road of fixing a lot that's wrong with the Welsh economy.

That's why I like the "real independence" argument it looks like Leanne Wood will be using in the Plaid Cymru leadership contest; not just constitutional independence, but ensuring Wales can stand on its own two feet economically, too.

One thing I'm really hoping will get going soon is the Severn Barrage. The rumblings coming out of Corlan Hafren, the consortium set up to push it, are encouraging. It really has the potential to transform the economy of South Wales, and produce all of Wales' energy needs renewably to boot!

Where in Wales do you live then? It's nice to see you've been reading about the Plaid leadership candidates too. I've been reading Leanne's post recently and I have to admit I'm becoming a bigger advocate for independence than I've ever been before. London doesn't care for the Welsh economy.
Where in Wales do you live then? It's nice to see you've been reading about the Plaid leadership candidates too. I've been reading Leanne's post recently and I have to admit I'm becoming a bigger advocate for independence than I've ever been before. London doesn't care for the Welsh economy.

That's the problem. At the end of the day Wales is a country of 3 million in a much larger union of 62 million. It wouldn't often enter the thoughts of the great and the good in London even if its interests were not completely opposed to those of the City.
Reply 84
That's the problem. At the end of the day Wales is a country of 3 million in a much larger union of 62 million. It wouldn't often enter the thoughts of the great and the good in London even if its interests were not completely opposed to those of the City.

I think independence is purely a pipe dream at the moment, it purely depends upon Scotland's referendum in my opinion.
Aye, this country's future will hinge on the referendum. I think it's fairly likely the Scots will at very least end up with devo max though, so in my view it's almost certain that our constitutional arrangement with the UK will be looked at again in a few years. What I'd give for a Salmond in this country though. :O
Reply 86
Aye, this country's future will hinge on the referendum. I think it's fairly likely the Scots will at very least end up with devo max though, so in my view it's almost certain that our constitutional arrangement with the UK will be looked at again in a few years. What I'd give for a Salmond in this country though. :O

I think if Leanne Wood wins the Plaid leadership contest, we may have an SNP like assembly. She certainly has the will and charisma to fight for what she believes in. Do you have a link to the other candidates? I can't seem to find one :s-smilie:
I think if Leanne Wood wins the Plaid leadership contest, we may have an SNP like assembly. She certainly has the will and charisma to fight for what she believes in. Do you have a link to the other candidates? I can't seem to find one :s-smilie:

'fraid I don't, but if I remember correctly, they are Elin Jones, Dafydd Elis Thomas and Simon Thomas.
Reply 88
What's everyone up to? Shwmae?
Reply 89
Noson dda I chi gyd.

Do I look camp in my profile pic? >.>
Reply 90
Original post by Jonesdawiz
Noson dda I chi gyd.

Do I look camp in my profile pic? >.>

Nope, your avatar's size is minuscule anyway :tongue:
Reply 91
Nope, your avatar's size is minuscule anyway :tongue:

Click on my profile
Reply 92
Original post by Jonesdawiz
Click on my profile

I did, it's still very small. I don't think you look camp, perhaps a little serious though :tongue:
Reply 93
Nadolig llawen :awesome:
A blwyddyn newydd da. :awesome:
Helo pawb! Probably said that wrong... oh well, I'm still learning :P
Primary Ed in Newport. Love learning the language, and hearing 'Miss Buchanan' in a little Welsh accent. :biggrin:
Hello fellow Welshies! This society is full of awesomeness I can tell! xD any rugby lovers about? :smile:
You all **** sheep!@!@!
Original post by Miracle Day
You all **** sheep!@!@!

And you most likely eat them afterwards :wink:
Original post by Aleandcynicism
And you most likely eat them afterwards :wink:

Yes, I love minted lamb!

Quick Reply

Latest