The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Is Aberystwyth University a good uni?

Any students currently at Aberystwyth that can give me advice?

I've been told that its very largely a welsh speaking town, my welsh isn't great- will this hinder me?
What's the town like? The overall feel of it?- Due to the coronavirus situation I won't be able to visit.

My parents are very set on me going to an 'outstanding university'- (ie like Russell group) as they say that makes all the difference..
Is it a good uni? In terms of rankings it's not ranked overly high on the general UK university league tables but it's fairly high for my subject (social sciences) where it's ranked 45th. What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.
Hi @c.jones1509 ,

I am current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide. The teaching quality is very high, The Sunday Times Good University Guide has been named the University of the Year in 2018 and 2019 for Teaching quality.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and definitely helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are definitely useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and what you are going to get out of it.

The town is well known for being a very safe place to live and has a very friendly atmosphere attracts many students here, including myself. Although Aberystwyth is a small town the nightlife is great, there a lot of pubs as well as cocktail bars and two clubs. It is very reasonably priced, especially when compared to a lot of the cities. There are lots of cafes and shops, as well as several supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, M&S and Iceland) that are all very accessible. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area as well with Snowdonia National Park on the doorstep and Birmingham, Cardiff and Shrewsbury are very accessible for a day trip.

I personally don’t speak any Welsh and I have never had any issues; people do speak both Welsh and English. However, there are plenty of opportunities for you to improve your Welsh if you are interested, there are subsidised courses available via the University!

We have an interactive online open day coming up where you can have the opportunity to talk online to course lecturers, current students and admissions staff as well as take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation. You can register here if interested?

We also have weekly live chats ever Wednesday 4-6pm where you can speak to staff and current students, if you have any questions 😊. I am also more than willing to help with any questions you have about life at Aberystwyth University.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Rebecca 😊
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Hi @c.jones1509 ,

I am current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide. The teaching quality is very high, The Sunday Times Good University Guide has been named the University of the Year in 2018 and 2019 for Teaching quality.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and definitely helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are definitely useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and what you are going to get out of it.

The town is well known for being a very safe place to live and has a very friendly atmosphere attracts many students here, including myself. Although Aberystwyth is a small town the nightlife is great, there a lot of pubs as well as cocktail bars and two clubs. It is very reasonably priced, especially when compared to a lot of the cities. There are lots of cafes and shops, as well as several supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, M&S and Iceland) that are all very accessible. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area as well with Snowdonia National Park on the doorstep and Birmingham, Cardiff and Shrewsbury are very accessible for a day trip.

I personally don’t speak any Welsh and I have never had any issues; people do speak both Welsh and English. However, there are plenty of opportunities for you to improve your Welsh if you are interested, there are subsidised courses available via the University!

We have an interactive online open day coming up where you can have the opportunity to talk online to course lecturers, current students and admissions staff as well as take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation. You can register here if interested?

We also have weekly live chats ever Wednesday 4-6pm where you can speak to staff and current students, if you have any questions 😊. I am also more than willing to help with any questions you have about life at Aberystwyth University.

Rebecca 😊

Ah this was so helpful! Thanks very much :smile:
@c.jones1509

No worries :smile:. Let me know if you need any more help or have any other questions!

Rebecca
Reply 4
is this uni good for computer science.
how well is it reputed amoung recruiters?
Thank You
Original post by Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Hi @c.jones1509 ,

Rebecca 😊

Thank you, Rebecca
Rebecca,
Would you able to connect me with a past or present student of MBA in Supply Chain management? (Mod edit - email removed)- TIA!
Original post by Ctj1509
Any students currently at Aberystwyth that can give me advice?

I've been told that its very largely a welsh speaking town, my welsh isn't great- will this hinder me?
What's the town like? The overall feel of it?- Due to the coronavirus situation I won't be able to visit.

My parents are very set on me going to an 'outstanding university'- (ie like Russell group) as they say that makes all the difference..
Is it a good uni? In terms of rankings it's not ranked overly high on the general UK university league tables but it's fairly high for my subject (social sciences) where it's ranked 45th. What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

The university is well thought of, despite not being in the Russell Group. In many fields of subject it ranks very highly in university tables. Aberystwyth is a nice town, I’d definitely say it’s the best UK small town that has a university. The town is full of narrow Victorian streets that are very desirable. The promenade is long and is very nice and relaxed. The high street is in decline but then so are most these days. The walk to town from all university accommodation is max 25 minutes. Very homely feel the town, though may feel a bit of cabin fever if you are from a large city.

Nightlife is based on pubs, I believe the town has over 60 pubs. The pubs are good. Only two clubs! (Pier Pressure and the newly opened Yr Academi). Popular among students is a bonfire night at night on the pebbled Aberystwyth beach (mainly on South Prom). Especially in the warmer months. You sometimes see numerous bonfires on the pebbled beach with students sitting around and maybe making a barbecue and playing frizbee or something.

No problem for non-Welsh speakers - only 31% of the town’s population speaks Welsh and everyone can speak English anyway. However if you’re interested in learning Welsh, you can do so outside of study hours within the university, and to practice Welsh you could join Y Geltaidd which is the Welsh-language society in Aberystwyth University - it is a very large society with many things going on, a few trips for example going to Edinburgh/Dublin to see Wales play in the Rugby Six Nations.

If you’re into nature, you’re in luck because Aberystwyth’s surrounding area is full of great walks and hills (look up Cambrian Mountains). Also the sea of Aberystwyth (and nearby seaside village Borth) is popular with canoeing and paddle-boarding.

Generally the town is inexpensive.

Direct trains from Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury (and then you can go anywhere from there).

The town is small enough not to need public transport, including going between town and university accommodation.
I am also coming in for supply chain management, how about jobs in Aberystwyth, though I also have an offer with Cardiff University I am yet to decide. For me I want sustainability, affordability and where I can work and study.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Moteleola
I am also coming in for supply chain management, how about jobs in Aberystwyth, though I also have an offer with Cardiff University I am yet to decide. For me I want sustainability, affordability and where I can work and study.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you're considering coming to study at Aberystwyth! This month we we're actually ranked amongst the Top 10 Cheapest Student Cities in the UK by Student Crowd. There are also plenty of work opportunities through the University with AberWorks, and also in town.
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/hr/aberworks/
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/studentservices/careers/current-students/

With regards to sustainability, over the past 10 years we have reduced our C02 emissions by 40%. You can find out more here:
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/about-us/sustainability/

Please let me know if I can provide you with any further information :smile:
Anna
Graduated with a 3rd class from Aber in 2011, but I digress.
Great place to learn your ABCs and 123s.

Quick Reply

Latest