The Student Room Group

Get back to reading

I used to read a lot back in primary and up till year 10 I don’t read that much anymore how can I get back to reading like before ?
Original post by Isk338
I used to read a lot back in primary and up till year 10 I don’t read that much anymore how can I get back to reading like before ?

Why do you think you stopped reading?

Do you think you're likely to be interested in the same type of books as you enjoyed when you were in year 10, or do you think your tastes might have matured somewhat?

Rather than picking a book to read at random, try to get a recommendation. This might be from a friend, a family member, or from a "best new books"-type list. It's probably best to stick with a genre you've enjoyed before.

Do you think you might struggle to find the time to read? If so, then try to set aside a particular time of day when there are likely to be fewer distractions, and spend half-an-hour or so reading. Just before bed is a common time to do this.
Hi, it is not unusual to stop reading for a period of time, especially if you have other, more pressing commitments in your life such as A-levels or University work. If you are in University, you could consider seeing if there is a reading society? or any local reading clubs? If not, I would recommend starting small - perhaps schedule a set time to read and try to get into a routine as then it'll become more of a habit, and/or maybe even set yourself some attainable goals - such as 'I will read 10 pages by next week' to keep you on track. Reading is enjoyable for many reasons, and I have no doubt that once you choose the right book(s) you'll get back into reading! For some inspiration, feel free to read our blog about some famous Welsh authors that may interest you: https://wrexham.ac.uk/blog/posts/discover-your-inner-bookworm-or-writer-this-november/, or for additional motivation to get back into reading, you can check out our blog about the benefits of reading on our mental health and wellbeing https://wrexham.ac.uk/blog/posts/reading-and-its-benefits-for-our-mental-health-and-wellbeing/

Never stop exploring new book genres and recommendations, as this will help to keep your reading spark alive!

Happy reading.

Lauren
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending