The Student Room Group

Would you vote for a British Obama?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Maxm79
Woah someone's angry :O If you wouldn't vote for him for the sole purpose of him being Pakistani then I suppose that is... As in, you thought his policies were the best ideas ever etc... but you decided not to vote for him because he was Pakistani.

I am racist for voting for the more British Politican
Because he will be the BRITISH Prime minister?

And if his policies were the Best EVER and the only other candidate had crappy policies then yes i would, but if the other guy had ok policies id vote for the more british guy.
Original post by DdotT

And if his policies were the Best EVER and the only other candidate had crappy policies then yes i would, but if the other guy had ok policies id vote for the more british guy.

How does that make any sense?

It's just like picking an English person over a Canadian person even though on paper the Canadian may be the better applicant for a job.
Original post by IamBeowulf
bit of a dumb comment from someone I thought had some sense :s-smilie:

I'm taking the mick
Reply 23
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Why did you decide to make him Pakistani instead of African English or whatever the latest politically correct term for black is?

Never heard of the term African English in my life. Pretty sure its Black British or just Black. Stop trying to kick up a fuss over nothing.
Original post by Hoozo
Never heard of the term African English in my life. Pretty sure its Black British or just Black. Stop trying to kick up a fuss over nothing.

I'm not, it's called a joke, take it.
Original post by DdotT

What about if the more British guy was a leftist liberal looking to campaign for liberalising immigration and increasing benefits to asylum seekers?
Reply 26
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
How does that make any sense?

It's just like picking an English person over a Canadian person even though on paper the Canadian may be the better applicant for a job.

No because the Prime Minister Represents the country.
Reply 27
Original post by ShadowConspiracy
No. Obama got in pretty much because he's black.

Every black friend I asked about Obama said they'd vote for him, When I asked why they couldn't give a opinion with few stating just because he's black.

Im pretty sure you would vote for somebody if you agreed with their policies. You seem to be saying you wouldnt vote for a British Obama because others voted for him solely based on his race. Doesnt that make you as bad as them?
Reply 28
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I'm not, it's called a joke, take it.

Nice backtracking. A joke that didnt make sense or was not funny. Good one...
Original post by DdotT
No because the Prime Minister Represents the country.

And his ethnic background matters because of what, precisely?

How would him being black or otherwise non-white have anything to do with it?
Original post by Hoozo
Nice backtracking. A joke that didnt make sense or was not funny. Good one...

Backtracking? WTF are you on about? I was joking about the high level of PC sensitivity in the British government, sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
Reply 31
Original post by MagicNMedicine
What about if the more British guy was a leftist liberal looking to campaign for liberalising immigration and increasing benefits to asylum seekers?

Thats a Toughie ! :eek:

I'm sure they'd be others obviously, but if i had to choose, i'd vote for the other guy since those policies aren't looking out for the country in the day and age of exsessive immigration we have
Reply 32
And his ethnic background matters because of what, precisely?

How would him being black or otherwise non-white have anything to do with it?

Because he's not British. (a british citizen yes but not ethnically British)
Original post by DdotT
Because he's not British. (a british citizen yes but not ethnically British)

How are you ethnically British then?

Do you need to be white?

If so, you might want to look up racism in the dictionary...
Well if he's anything like the American one then it's a big N-O
Reply 35
How are you ethnically British then?

Do you need to be white?

If so, you might want to look up racism in the dictionary...

My great great grandfather served in British India, thats as far as i have asked my parents about my ancestors but i have all the genetic traits of a british ethnic person, not to meantion my surnames on both sides. There is no evidence ever in my family i am not mainly of british/english ethnicity.

So your saying im racist for wanting someone British many many Generations back opposed to a 2nd or 3rd generation Pakistani to be Leader of my country?
Reply 36
Original post by Maxm79
Imagine a British Obama.
Lets say a Pakistani man with a Pakistani name. His agenda and policies are just as British as any other politician.

A man whos in favour of death penalty, bombing pakisan with unmanned planes, and against gay marriage ?
Original post by DdotT
My great great grandfather served in British India, thats as far as i have asked my parents about my ancestors but i have all the genetic traits of a british ethnic person, not to meantion my surnames on both sides. There is no evidence ever in my family i am not mainly of british/english ethnicity.

So your saying im racist for wanting someone British many many Generations back opposed to a 2nd or 3rd generation Pakistani to be Leader of my country?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

If you're making a judgment of the worth or value of an individual based upon race, you are a racist.

That is what racism is.
Original post by T-ros
A man whos in favour of death penalty, bombing pakisan with unmanned planes, and against gay marriage ?

Please show me evidence of any of those assertions.

I don't like Obama, but I've never seen these beliefs from him.
Reply 39
I never said that i think the british candidate would be better...
I just said id vote for the more british candidate because id rather a british person be prime minister

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending